Norwegian CEO shares his plan for a cruising comeback — and it isn’t what you think

3 hours ago, Corliss said:

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2020/Q1/cruise-ship-ac-systems-could-promote-rapid-coronavirus-spread,-prof-says.html

According to a Purdue University air quality expert, cruise ship air conditioning systems are not designed to filter out particles as small as the coronavirus, allowing the disease to rapidly circulate to other cabins.

EXPERT: Qingyan Chen, Purdue’s James G. Dwyer Professor of Mechanical Engineering, has researched the spread of air particles in passenger vehicles and how to track them. His team developed models in the past for showing how the H1N1-A flu and other pathogens travel through aircraft cabins.

When Chen co-led the Air Transportation Center of Excellence for Airline Cabin Environment Research, his lab made discoveries about the airborne nature of SARS that could inform understanding of the coronavirus.

Chen’s lab is currently developing a ventilation system that would prevent the spread of pathogens by allowing each person to breathe in only his or her own air.

QUOTE: “It’s standard practice for the air conditioning systems of cruise ships to mix outside air with inside air to save energy. The problem is that these systems can’t filter out particles smaller than 5,000 nanometers. If the coronavirus is about the same size as SARS, which is 120 nanometers in diameter, then the air conditioning system would be carrying the virus to every cabin.

Cruise ships could minimize this problem by just using outside air and not recirculating it.”

NOT JUST CRUISE SHIPS: For aircraft, the coronavirus is more likely to spread by touch than through the air, Chen said, since the air conditioning systems of planes are capable of filtering out particles as small as viruses.

An epidemiologist who studies the spread of virus particles said the recirculated air from a cruise ship’s ventilation system, plus the close quarters and communal settings, made passengers and crew vulnerable to infectious diseases. “They’re not designed as quarantine facilities, to put it mildly,” said Don Milton of the University of Maryland. “You’re going to amplify the infection by keeping people on the boat.”

Another Princess ship, the Diamond Princess, was quarantined for two weeks in Yokohama, Japan, last month because of the virus. Ultimately, about 700 of the 3,700 people aboard became infected in what experts pronounced a public-health failure, with the vessel essentially becoming a floating germ factory.

They might have to install something like this in each cabin HVAC system.....  https://amzn.to/2yKRMXS

They work well

7 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Henry...I'm rolling the dice for an Alaska cruise this October on the Bliss.  We'll see how this goes.  I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

If you make it - we'll be looking forward to your review/posting!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brovol said:

I am a chief judge in a multi-county state court system, with a docket which must be set well in advance.  Just not conducive to "last minute" cruising.  My staff would torture me if they cleared my docket and I didnt go, or, worse, if I told them to cancel hearings last minute.

Find a way to make your trials virtual! 😄  Globally this was already happening prior to the pandemic.

11 hours ago, Corliss said:

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2020/Q1/cruise-ship-ac-systems-could-promote-rapid-coronavirus-spread,-prof-says.html

According to a Purdue University air quality expert, cruise ship air conditioning systems are not designed to filter out particles as small as the coronavirus, allowing the disease to rapidly circulate to other cabins.

EXPERT: Qingyan Chen, Purdue’s James G. Dwyer Professor of Mechanical Engineering, has researched the spread of air particles in passenger vehicles and how to track them. His team developed models in the past for showing how the H1N1-A flu and other pathogens travel through aircraft cabins.

When Chen co-led the Air Transportation Center of Excellence for Airline Cabin Environment Research, his lab made discoveries about the airborne nature of SARS that could inform understanding of the coronavirus.

Chen’s lab is currently developing a ventilation system that would prevent the spread of pathogens by allowing each person to breathe in only his or her own air.

QUOTE: “It’s standard practice for the air conditioning systems of cruise ships to mix outside air with inside air to save energy. The problem is that these systems can’t filter out particles smaller than 5,000 nanometers. If the coronavirus is about the same size as SARS, which is 120 nanometers in diameter, then the air conditioning system would be carrying the virus to every cabin.

Cruise ships could minimize this problem by just using outside air and not recirculating it.”

NOT JUST CRUISE SHIPS: For aircraft, the coronavirus is more likely to spread by touch than through the air, Chen said, since the air conditioning systems of planes are capable of filtering out particles as small as viruses.

An epidemiologist who studies the spread of virus particles said the recirculated air from a cruise ship’s ventilation system, plus the close quarters and communal settings, made passengers and crew vulnerable to infectious diseases. “They’re not designed as quarantine facilities, to put it mildly,” said Don Milton of the University of Maryland. “You’re going to amplify the infection by keeping people on the boat.”

Another Princess ship, the Diamond Princess, was quarantined for two weeks in Yokohama, Japan, last month because of the virus. Ultimately, about 700 of the 3,700 people aboard became infected in what experts pronounced a public-health failure, with the vessel essentially becoming a floating germ factory.

We have to remember, Covid 19 was originally thought to be airborne during the time of the Diamond Princess Quarantine.  Most HVAC's systems cannot blow contaminated droplets very far yet if the HVAC vent is over something like a desk the chances of exposure greatly increase.  Many believe it was unknowingly spread by the poor crew, most likely from those who had to visit passengers. 

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Henry...I'm rolling the dice for an Alaska cruise this October on the Bliss.  We'll see how this goes.  I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

Are you sure, really ??  Both the Encore & the Bliss are sitting here in Norfolk, VA on the East Coast at this moment; and, the Escape is going nowhere yet at POM.  

Good luck since you got all that FCC/bonuses to use up anyway - a matter of moving that goal post again if cancel.  Are you going to use NCL's Reduced/Free Air package as I see that they are offering it from select airports ?  It's $600 R/T from JFK + ground transfer costs.  About $3K all inclusive with the solo surcharge & extra charges for the freebies, etc. with a choice of balcony isn't a bad deal.  If you are going to splurge, get that Fwd Penthouse instead of the Aft corner.  

Look forward to a detailed pictorial live trip report ... hopefully, that satellite coverage has vastly improved since our last Alaska sailing as cellular signals were pretty bad until we're coasting into the ports.  

Plan B could be spending that vacation week between Seattle & Vancouver, plus Victoria, BC via the ferry - beautiful in the Spring; actually, year-round.  Fingers crossed in bracing for Hertz's bankruptcy in a matter of weeks if efforts to secure lender leniency ...  

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Find a way to make your trials virtual! 😄  Globally this was already happening prior to the pandemic.

We have to remember, Covid 19 was originally thought to be airborne during the time of the Diamond Princess Quarantine.  Most HVAC's systems cannot blow contaminated droplets very far yet if the HVAC vent is over something like a desk the chances of exposure greatly increase.  Many believe it was unknowingly spread by the poor crew, most likely from those who had to visit passengers. 

Its not my "trials" that I worry about, as trials are only a small portion of what I do.  Virtual trials are actually being done in my circuit right now as a pilot project.  I am not in favor of them however. 

Its nice that you have the ability to travel last minute.  Without getting into the nuances of my job, you will just have to accept that I don't have that same ability.

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Are you sure, really ??  Both the Encore & the Bliss are sitting here in Norfolk, VA on the East Coast at this moment; and, the Escape is going nowhere yet at POM.  

Good luck since you got all that FCC/bonuses to use up anyway - a matter of moving that goal post again if cancel.  Are you going to use NCL's Reduced/Free Air package as I see that they are offering it from select airports ?  It's $600 R/T from JFK + ground transfer costs.  About $3K all inclusive with the solo surcharge & extra charges for the freebies, etc. with a choice of balcony isn't a bad deal.  If you are going to splurge, get that Fwd Penthouse instead of the Aft corner.  

Look forward to a detailed pictorial live trip report ... hopefully, that satellite coverage has vastly improved since our last Alaska sailing as cellular signals were pretty bad until we're coasting into the ports.  

Plan B could be spending that vacation week between Seattle & Vancouver, plus Victoria, BC via the ferry - beautiful in the Spring; actually, year-round.  Fingers crossed in bracing for Hertz's bankruptcy in a matter of weeks if efforts to secure lender leniency ...  

Just pulled the trigger this a.m. with my TA.  She said sales have been brisk for NCL and Carnival, but have been languishing for Royal.  She’s part of a larger Travel Agency, and her view of everything is probably a small sliver....interesting nonetheless, though.

Including flight from OH to SEA, NCL’s price round trip is $299/pp.  TA says the Bliss is close to a sell out, which would be an early sell out for ANY cruise.

Got the Haven (which I love) Suite with large balcony for a little under $5K, all in.  FCC Credits, 20% discount, etc means I’m not coming out of pocket for anything else from the canceled NCL cruise.  And that was to the Bahamas.  Alaska is always more expensive.  So, given I’ve never been to Alaska, I’m looking forward to it.

We have to sail first, though.  We’ve got 4.5 months to get that sorted out.

I know the east coast is just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  But, where I am, it never seemed to be as intense.  So, maybe I’m naive.  But, I don’t feel I’m any more at risk on a cruise than I am going to a restaurant this weekend (which I’m doing BTW since they’re just opening up).  This is true particularly given the enhanced cleaning and more thorough health screenings I’m sure these cruises and cruisers will be subject to.

If they cancel, I’ll just move it forward.

Anyway, I’ve invested in a GoPro so maybe this time, I’ll have some decent video to include in a review.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruise47 said:

The Encore and Bliss and one other NCL ship are really at dock in Portsmouth, VA.

Thank you for the "technical" correction on these ship's location, plus a 3rd ship NCL ship also there.  I stand corrected.  It does not materially or substantially changed my point, that GG's ship has booked this morning, are currently still anchored on the East Coast - it will take easily 3 weeks alone to re-position (with a fresh crew & officers, and en route provisions) to the West Coast via the PC.  

Portsmouth is on the south side and Norfolk is on the north side of the river inlet, for practical purposes, more folks - I believe - find it easier to pin it on a map with Norfolk, VA as the general area for being in the mid-Atlantic region on the East Coast ... roughly 3 miles apart from each other.  Perhaps, next time  - I will just say ships are docked near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and leave it at that.  Love that scenic trip under the Bay.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, brovol said:

Its not my "trials" that I worry about, as trials are only a small portion of what I do.  Virtual trials are actually being done in my circuit right now as a pilot project.  I am not in favor of them however. 

why arent you in favor of virtual trials?

Was reading through this thread and watching people trash the CEO. It reminds me so much of fans trashing the coach when their football team is not winning.  Armchair quarterbacking at it's finest.  Businesses go through tough times, especially now.  

People may have had great deals and dirt cheap cruises in the past. We can't expect any company to continue this practice initially when coming back from losses. You would not expect a restaurant to give away food to attract customers back. 

Be patient...don't blame and move forward.

2 minutes ago, krittykat said:

Was reading through this thread and watching people trash the CEO. It reminds me so much of fans trashing the coach when their football team is not winning.  Armchair quarterbacking at it's finest.  Businesses go through tough times, especially now.  

Comes with the big job title and remuneration package. They all know what they are walking into when they took the job.

15 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Comes with the big job title and remuneration package. They all know what they are walking into when they took the job.

That may be. But do we know more than them to trash talk a person like that?  I am a strong proponent of constructive criticism. Offer up what could be done....not yell for their head. If you have nothing, maybe one should say nothing.

• Like 1

I believe DelRio does deserve some of the criticism leveled his way.  NCL was doing well AND customer focused when Kevin Sheehan was in charge.  His ouster, be it a coups or a performance based separation, was sudden and filled with intrigue that has gone unanswered.  I think it goes without saying that those of us who like NCL feel Sheehan was a better CEO and offered us a better "product"

DelRio came in and almost immediately started the cuts.  That's all well and good, if you're still filling your ships.  Now, they can't fill the ships, and those of us who have invested time and money using NCL for our vacations have long memories.

Now, NCL wants us to come back.  They're back with some fare cuts.  But, the days of cutting service and experiences are over, at least for the foreseeable future.  DelRio, in my estimation, isn't the CEO that can travail these waters.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2020 at 9:09 PM, jotjot said:

OK,  no mask for me on a cruise but can everyone wear them on elevators . Nothing like someone coughing or sneezing behind you.

A lot of those people ought to be using the stairs anyway...LOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CRAZYQ said:

Has anyone read about  NCL may be filing for Bankruptcy.  I read an article yesterday that is probably why their stock went below 10$.  

Bankruptcy doesn't mean out of business and can even be used as a threat to force better loan terms.  Every day someone brings up one or all of the big three potentially filing for BK.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:55 AM, brovol said:

Its nice that you have the ability to travel last minute.  Without getting into the nuances of my job, you will just have to accept that I don't have that same ability.

I did say in the beginning that it won't work for everyone.  Some folks wrongfully assume they can't get time off on short notice, I'm simply trying to help some to get creative which can include telling your employer in advance you plan on taking an August cruise but don't know the exact date/week off you'll need.

Updated May 20, 2020    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of all sailings across our fleet through July 31, 2020. 

https://www.ncl.com/suspended-sailings?cid=SM_NCL_PRO_BRA_TWI_LRN_TWT_WHYNCL_CVUPDATE052020_NA_NA

Edited by ISLABONITA