Empress or Brilliance?

This would be for the beginning of January for the Western Caribbean (and like everything now, assuming it actually sails). I know Dec/Jan to expect a lot of families, babies, and young kids. That said, which do you think (yes I know you cannot predict this, but I'll still like to hear if anyone has experience with this) would have less of them overall on the ship especially around the pool area? Empress has no solarium or adult area (but few amenities for kids), Brilliance does have solarium and amenities for kids. I'm just trying to figure out which one is better for me (never been on RC). Empress is 6 nights leaving Miami going to Roatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya, and Brilliance is 5 nights going to Cozumel and Costa Maya. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Cruise lines will most likely be reducing the size of their fleet.  Empress is oldest and smallest. 

If I book it and they later dump the ship, what happens? Just a refund or credit at 125% (if that)?

So depressing to hear that some of you think Empress will be gone from the fleet. She is the only ship that can sail from Montreal and her Canadian Adventure Itinerary is amazing. What other RCCL vessel could sail this itinerary?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMLAalum said:

So depressing to hear that some of you think Empress will be gone from the fleet. She is the only ship that can sail from Montreal and her Canadian Adventure Itinerary is amazing. What other RCCL vessel could sail this itinerary?

Adventure did last year, but embarked in Quebec City

4 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

her Canadian Adventure Itinerary is amazing. What other RCCL vessel could sail this itinerary?

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

How then is that same itinerary as Empress?

Biker, you're right. Adventure did not do a closed loop Quebec City itinerary, only Quebec City to Bayonne and back.

Vision stopped at Saguenay the year before, and IIRC Brilliance stopped in Cornerbrook (at least one year) on her TA, so at worst I assume  Vision Class can duplicate the Empress Canadian Adventure itinerary.

I wouldn't think you'd see a lot of kids on either ship in the beginning of Jan (unless it is a New Year's cruise) because everyone will going back to work/school after the December holidays.

4 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

And Empress is the only ship able to stop in St. John's, Newfoundland!

i was on a Transatlantic on Adventure in 2010, and we stopped in St. John’s, Newfoundland. Empress is the only ship that can sail to Montreal. 

37 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

i was on a Transatlantic on Adventure in 2010, and we stopped in St. John’s, Newfoundland. Empress is the only ship that can sail to Montreal. 

But you tendered, correct?

We are booked on Brilliance 5 day. We have been on her before in Jan. I found there

is not a lot of kids. We are trying balcony 9254 (has the cleaning ladder between our

balcony and next door.  More on their side.)  We have never been on Empress, but have

two up coming sailing on Brilliance. Very convenient parking also.

2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

But you tendered, correct?

I don't remember tendering - but we might've. I just recall that we arrived in St. John's several hours late, but our departure time wasn't extended on the other end - so it was a short port visit.

21 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

There are many photos on-line (ie. google images) of larger cruise ships docked (ie. Regal Princess")

You are right, I just do not understand why so many big ships stop just at boring Corner Brook when visiting Newfoundland.

2 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

You are right, I just do not understand why so many big ships stop just at boring Corner Brook when visiting Newfoundland.

Biggest draw would be Gros Morne National Park. I would love to visit here someday... stunning!