Can't get crews home and we are talking about our next cruise?

jxtgreek

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Suicide isn’t a act of a stable person, regardless of profession.  

This is a psychological issue, not a cruise line issue, no matter how much you want it to be.

Perhaps the hunger strike is nutritional issue, not a cruise line issue.
https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article242673546.html

And maybe the Coral, Ruby, Zaandam, Diamond and Grand deaths were health care issues, not cruise ship issues.

Wait, wait ... are lawsuits by survivors and crew members just court system issues?

And it could be that the Australian criminal investigation is an Australian witch-hunt ... the U.S. Congressional inquiry is an American witch-hunt?

Or maybe - just maybe - there's a clearer explanation: This time, cruise industry executives have created so much wreckage that even the most strident apologists can't conjure up plausible excuses.

Look...not sure why this is so difficult to see.  There are people who are homeless, who live on a 4’-4’ stoop, that don’t commit suicide.  There are people living in remote areas, in the open, having to scrounge for food every day, who literally do it in the woods, who don’t commit suicide.  There are people who are in all sorts of desperate living conditions who don’t commit suicide.  

Suicide is a last report for someone who has some sort of mental instability.  Anyone on a cruise ship, where there’s plenty of food, a warm bed to sleep in every night, running water, etc who commits suicide is one of those who do so because of some sort of mental instability.

You’re really doing those a disservice who happen to have mental illnesses, to the point they want to end their lives.

As my lawyer always says, ”anyone can sue anyone else for any reason.  Doesn’t meant their lawsuits have merit”.

Hunger strikes, for whatever reason, are exactly that.  A hunger strike.  That’s a far cry from suicide.  My son used to go on hunger strikes because I wouldn’t let him play Nintendo 8 hours a day.

Please don’t paint this picture as something else, because it isn’t.  No excuses.

I’m done.  You are bound and determined to find some Uber nefarious injustices that caused these tragedies.  They are exactly that, tragic.

Not sure what you’re trying to accomplish.  Keep on with your crusade.  Maybe someone other than me will listen (but I doubt it).

18 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Suicide is a last report for someone who has some sort of mental instability.  Anyone on a cruise ship, where there’s plenty of food, a warm bed to sleep in every night, running water, etc who commits suicide is one of those who do so because of some sort of mental instability.

You’re really doing those a disservice who happen to have mental illnesses, to the point they want to end their lives.

Hunger strikes, for whatever reason, are exactly that.  A hunger strike.  That’s a far cry from suicide.  My son used to go on hunger strikes because I wouldn’t let him play Nintendo 8 hours a day.

I’m done.  

Comparing a mental health and humanitarian crisis to Nintendo 8? Astonishing.

Reality paints a different picture.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-05-12/nightmare-at-sea-ends-in-death-for-some-cruise-ship-workers

On 5/11/2020 at 3:10 AM, chengkp75 said:

While the US has placed some onerous financial hurdles in the way of crew changes, at least they are offering to allow the crew changes to happen.  Most countries have banned crew changes from vessels altogether.

There is a cart and horse problem here. 

The cruise and shipping industry needs to move past denial and into a realistic and sober mode about this infection, droplets, masks, etc.  I think most have.   

Then we need ports and governments to step up.  Places that have made money or wish to make money from cruising/shipping (Miami, etc.) need to help the shipping industry first at a crew level.  This is not risky, expensive or difficult.  You set up a 1000 foot dock.  Ships come in.  You have one masked customs/port person and a public health nurse with a temperature scanner check the paperwork.  A TSA/CBP person or two to check papers or even a robot kiosk.  You have couple of dedicated busses with drivers in PPE take the crews to chartered planes at a executive /charter terminal.  They get on/off the planes.  Done.  

You don't need 175 troops and flashing lights and overtime from six agencies all trying to get in on it (and risk infection) and running up the tab.  This is a routine operation.  The risk of a runaway random infection is near zero.  

Places like Nassau or Freeport could use leverage here.  Ahh happy to help - but the resupply containers, 66% of future drydocks, 42% of crew changes come here from now on etc.    Make it business.  Crew change hubs can be a business.  The industry is desperate and the islands need money.  

Let's leave re-hashing the blame to historians.  

Edited by ew101
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 9:20 PM, graphicguy said:

Suicide isn’t a act of a stable person, regardless of profession.  

This is a psychological issue, not a cruise line issue, no matter how much you want it to be.

Lets see you locked on a cruise ship with no end in site under the conditions these people are facing and lets see what your "psychological" condition is after a few months. 

27 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Lets see you locked on a cruise ship with no end in site under the conditions these people are facing and lets see what your "psychological" condition is after a few months. 

haha locked on a ship for months you say?   

Tell it navy and Royal navy men . 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

haha locked on a ship for months you say?   

Tell it navy and Royal navy men . 

With the exception of some submariners (who are subject to extensive psychological screening) no Navy or Royal Navy sailor (by the way there are women serving in both country's navies and have been for years, if you're not aware) would be confined to the ship without shore leave for months.

But by all means do get back to incessantly posing about how cruises are starting up tomorrow or whatever...

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

But by all means do get back to incessantly posing about how cruises are starting up tomorrow or whatever...

Be careful what you say, Seaman is very rude sensative, might hurt his feelings.

36 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

With the exception of some submariners (who are subject to extensive psychological screening) no Navy or Royal Navy sailor (by the way there are women serving in both country's navies and have been for years, if you're not aware) would be confined to the ship without shore leave for months.

getting the crew home during lockdowns is much harder than getting crew onboard when things are opened up.  many are ready to earn money for their families. 

7 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

Really?  Just to use a cruise ship example, the vast majority of my engineering staff on a cruise ship worked "day work", meaning 6am to 6pm, 7 days a week.  Guess when the ship was in port?  Guess who couldn't get ashore.  Besides, what exactly does "shore leave" provide the crew that they don't have right now.  And there are quite a lot of examples of merchant ship crews working nearly a year without getting any shore leave.    I know this won't be a popular statement here on CC, but having worked for decades at sea, both on cargo and cruise ships, cruise ship crews have it pretty good compared to most crew.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

good news is being suppressed by the media.  they get more clicks by posting for the doom and gloom crowd. 

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-breeze-arrives-europe-to-disembark-crew/

No good news is not "being suppressed" by the media. If you ever worked as a reporter or an editor, you'd understand the more newsworthy story is what's happening to the vast majority of crew members who remain stranded/imprisoned, not a single ship delivering a minuscule fraction of the individuals in question. I can point you to myriad pieces of reporting that specifically reference SOME repatriation efforts are ongoing, but only for a tiny slice of crew members, but I have better things to do. 

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2020 at 5:53 AM, graphicguy said:

How dare you say that while in the exact same comment implicitly comparing suicides to someone going on a "hunger strike" for not getting to play their console 8 hours a day. You have some gall.

For future reference, Nintendo is the company who makes several consoles. Your boomer is showing.

18 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

No good news is not "being suppressed" by the media. If you ever worked as a reporter or an editor, you'd understand the more newsworthy story is what's happening to the vast majority of crew members who remain stranded/imprisoned, not a single ship delivering a minuscule fraction of the individuals in question. I can point you to myriad pieces of reporting that specifically reference SOME repatriation efforts are ongoing, but only for a tiny slice of crew members, but I have better things to do. 

Bad news gets more views and clicks.  If you have done reporting or editing. You should know that.  I had to dig for that story btw. 

Edited by seaman11

13 minutes ago, mynameisvlad said:

How dare you say that while in the exact same comment implicitly comparing suicides to someone going on a "hunger strike" for not getting to play their console 8 hours a day. You have some gall.

For future reference, Nintendo is the company who makes several consoles. Your boomer is showing.

??????  What in the world are you talking about????????  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

If you have done reporting or editing. You should know that. 

That's literally how I make my living. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. 

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

I had to dig for that story btw. 

You had to "dig" for that because it's not newsworthy, like I already explained. 

• Haha 1

Earlier this week, about 100 cruise ship members landed in London (UK), flown home directly (MIA - LHR) from Miami, Florida on a special non-stop British Airway charter.  They were (British passport holders only) dancers, singers and other entertainers from Royal Caribbean & Celebrity and issued health certificates.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8336759/Families-hug-loved-ones-Heathrow-Airport-cruise-ship-crew-arrive-home-Miami.html 

Two dozen ships anchored off Manila Bay in the Philippines with seafarers (along with other OFW's) waiting - more bottlenecks for the cruise industry to navigate ... as some feared that it will quickly overwhelmed local quarantine and isolation facilities dedicated for those repatriated.  

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1277811/42k-returning-ofws-may-overwhelm-quarantine-facilities

Among other issues facing them once they get back, hunger at home, apparently ... oh, wait, about those long lines of cars queued up for the food banks in America and the latest unemployement figures, etc.  I digress.  

Live smartly, be well, safe and healthy.