OK Folks I need some help.

Topdog52

I am going to book a cruise in either Nov. or Dec. 2021 with my cruise credits. I am looking at either going from New Orleans or Port Canaveral. We also will go down a day or 2 early. Any suggestions??

SHIP Norwegian Breakaway
CRUISE PORTS EMBARK New Orleans (Louisiana); Cozumel (Mexico); Roatán, Bay Islands (Honduras); Harvest Caye (Belize); Costa Maya (Mexico); DISEMBARK New Orleans (Louisiana)

OR Port Canaveral
SHIP Norwegian Escape
CRUISE PORTS EMBARK Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral); Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); Tortola (British Virgin Islands); Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas); DISEMBARK Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral)

We  did this cruise in Jan 2019 perfect timing as we got to go to the Mardi Gras World and there was a lot of floats ready to go. The museum is quite close to the cruise port.

If you haven't been to New Orleans then this cruise on the Breakaway is a must. We  stayed at  Embassy Suites by Hilton New Orleans Convention

Center 315 Julia Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 which is in the heart of everything and within walking distance of Bourbon St. The cruise its self was great but found the cruising down the Mississippi rather boring. 

We would love to do this cruise again.

Edited by FranknBeans
  • Like 1

New Orleans is a fantastic city - the food and drinks are very good and the city on the whole is reasonably priced.  Cozumel is very turisty but you can go to Tulum which is worth the effort.  Harvest Caye is there island and your drink package doesnt apply there but there is a very nice pool and beach.  IMHO not much to do in Roatan nor Costa Maya.  The other cruise isnt much better if you want to do more than go to beaches and shop.

• Like 1

New Orleans in the Christmas season, what a magically place to be.

I have done this cruise several times and loved the cruise down the Mississippi.  It is done after dark, but the River and its shoreline is alive with activity and all lit up.  Great cruise.

In a heartbeat, I would do it again.

Thats not even a question.. Port Canaveral is a pain in the butt.. Aside from visiting the museum , its a bust and expensive to park.  Most defiantly go to NOLA . You will have great time and getting around is very easy .

Dont miss the WW11 museum , very interesting  and of course  Bourbon and Jackson square ..

• Like 1

I have to say New Orleans also.  We've done this cruise several times and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  French Market, Jackson Square, Royal St, Frenchman's St are all wonderful places to see.  If you enjoy snorkeling, Roatan is amazing and Cozumel is good too.  Harvest Caye is a chill, beach day and Costa Maya can be that as well or there are Mayan ruins too.  

If you have specific port questions, just ask.  I'm happy to help.

• Like 1

OK, I'll be the different one.  I found the port of NOLA to be congested and disorganized.  Port Canaveral is very organized and a breeze from parking to boarding.  Also, with the exception of the food (which was amazing), I found NOLA to be dirty, over crowded and unsafe.  But just my opinion.  

• Like 1

@Topdog52I personally would pick the Escape.  I really enjoyed my time on her.  I am trying to find a cruise that works with our schedule so we can sail on her again. 

We are booked to sail on the Breakaway April  2021 and going to Puerto Plata.  I love to look and see what the possibilities are in each port.  However, I am not having much luck since all I see is info for Amber Cove.  Maybe I am missing something, but I thought AC was just for Carnival.  

Anyone know where to look for information?  Tripadvisor and the NCL website are not helping much.  Google searches are where I am getting Amber Cove.

NOLA,  not even a contest. A great city. The entire French Quarter is walkable. Not dirty, not unsafe as congested as any big city. Friendly and hospitable people. WWII museum is a must see.  Food is beyond compare. Every bite a party in your mouth.  Can't wait to visit again.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

NOLA,  not even a contest. A great city. The entire French Quarter is walkable. Not dirty, not unsafe as congested as any big city. Friendly and hospitable people. WWII museum is a must see.  Food is beyond compare. Every bite a party in your mouth.  Can't wait to visit again.  

Totally agree about the safety aspect.  Not any less safe than Chicago or New York.  I've walked around the French Quarter after midnight and not been scared.  I wouldn't do it alone, but with someone else I was fine.  You also have to be smart and aware of your surroundings just like any other large city.  The food, the music, the architecture, the history all make the city so amazing.  

The port area is a bit congested but not enough to keep me from returning.  I've been in worse congestion or delays in other ports.  

New Orleans is a great place to sail from. We stayed at the Hilton along the river last time we were there. It is physically a few hundred yard from the cruise terminal,,,, but the cruise terminal is not accessible from the river front. Right on the trolley line and an easy walk into the French Quarter. 

We're not fans PC. We sailed out of PC this time last year during the love bug infestation. Like a horror movie!

image.png.84208f624c9bafe2cc41f548d1abe77c.png

image.png.a64309cd74579885440515f546d133fe.png

image.png.6f0131ce32f41e5f9f85aba210604d30.png

11 hours ago, DublinFC said:

We are booked to sail on the Breakaway April  2021 and going to Puerto Plata.  I love to look and see what the possibilities are in each port.  However, I am not having much luck since all I see is info for Amber Cove.  Maybe I am missing something, but I thought AC was just for Carnival.  

Anyone know where to look for information?  Tripadvisor and the NCL website are not helping much.  Google searches are where I am getting Amber Cove.

Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) is a new cruise port called Taino Bay.  It is supposed to open in November of 2020 (but who knows how the current situation will impact that).  It's seems that it will be very much like a private island but the cruise line does not own it so you will be paying for food and drinks.

• Thanks 1

NOLA - but don't just come for the cruise - plan on that couple of days before to see the sites or if not that

then don't rush off to something else after the cruise.  Stick around after the cruise crowds have left for a

more leisurely pace.

Some folks like river cruising but sadly this is not one of those - the cruise departure down river to the

Gulf and the return are during the twilight night hours - nothing the see here folks even the droids are void.

Beware the token taxes on drinks until well past the delta.

As for food something for everyone's taste buds.

Western Caribbean Cruise itinerary - 2.5 stars out of 4

Cozumel - 1 star

Roatan - .75 star - get miles away from the port and into the island interior

Harvest Cay - just a filler for what would be an awkward sea day - manufactured island entertainment

----- this was formerly a tender port call for Belize

Costa Maya - .75 star - again nothing for the droids here - get off into the interior to the ruins.

We did a cruise similar to this on the Pearl. We loved NOLA. We stayed at the Marriott Convention Center and

just walked to the cruise terminal through the shopping mall. It took just a few minutes. We ate at Antoine's

which was the best meal of our entire lives and that is saying something having lived in the NY area most

of our lives which has some of the best restaurants. We went to the WW2 museum, the Mardi Gras and

Hurricane Katrina museums and toured St. Mark's church. I will have to disagree slightly as to the safety

aspect. We were approached rather aggressively with people trying to do things like getting us to give

them money by engaging us in guessing games. Like will you give me $10 if I can tell you where you got

those shoes? Answer you got them on your feet. Just keep walking. Also avoid side streets with little traffic

as we were approached with a story about not having any food to eat and can we give them some.

I did give the guessing game person  money that I keep in my pocket for such occasions as he wouldn't let us pass. Sort of my version of a mugger's wallet. LOL

Edited by Peachypooh

18 hours ago, joeyancho said:

NOLA,  not even a contest. A great city. The entire French Quarter is walkable. Not dirty, not unsafe 

New Orleans consistently is ranked in the top 5 of murders per 100,000 people,  way ahead of orlando, chicago, new york city.

1 hour ago, vunico said:

two words...Commander's Palace

Yes, this.  Go for a weekday martini lunch, then a tipsy self-guided walking tour of the Garden District (We got a walking tour brochure somewhere, but I don't remember where).

8 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) is a new cruise port called Taino Bay.  It is supposed to open in November of 2020 (but who knows how the current situation will impact that).  It's seems that it will be very much like a private island but the cruise line does not own it so you will be paying for food and drinks.

Ohh, good to know.  I wonder where we will go if the new port does not open by the time we are scheduled to be there?  I am not expecting you to have that answer.  A lot of time between then and now.  Either way we will be on a cruise 🙂

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

Ohh, good to know.  I wonder where we will go if the new port does not open by the time we are scheduled to be there?  I am not expecting you to have that answer.  A lot of time between then and now.  Either way we will be on a cruise 🙂

1 hour ago, kaprin02 said:

Yes, this.  Go for a weekday martini lunch, then a tipsy self-guided walking tour of the Garden District (We got a walking tour brochure somewhere, but I don't remember where).

thank you...the other two words...martini lunch

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

New Orleans consistently is ranked in the top 5 of murders per 100,000 people,  way ahead of orlando, chicago, new york city.

My remarks referred to the French Quarter. which is safe. 

There is a difference between the French Quarter and the Garden District, where most tourists would be, and other areas of the city.  And my comments about safety were just based on my own personal experience and feelings.

The data show the following about 2019 murder victims: 

• 93% were victims of gun violence. 
  • 92% were black men or women; 99 of the 120 victims were black men.
  • Despite the overall drop in murders, 2019 saw the most juveniles murdered in five years – 11 people age 1 to 17. 
  • Nearly a third of the 120 victims were in their 20s; about a quarter were in their 30s; 15% were in their 40s and 14% were teenagers. 
  • The youngest victim was a 1-year-old, who died May 8 of blunt force trauma.
  • The oldest victim was 77-year-old Keithroy Ambrose, who was shot dead Dec. 16 inside a Fairgrounds neighborhood home.
  • The 2019 murder count fell 18% from 2018.
  • Last year’s murder count of 120 victims is 25% lower than the average of the previous five years, 159.