question about a refund to current booking - NOT COVID RELATED

jean87510

I have a reservation on the Carnival Sensation 9/26/20 sailing.  I have a guarantee inside cabin.  I reserved this last week.  Yesterday I noticed that the price has dropped, so I called carnival and was informed that they could not refund me the $122 difference as this sale only applied to new bookings.  This was for an inside guarantee as well.  I am not used to this because I normally sail RCCL and have had no problems getting a discount when cruise price goes down.  My cruise is also 120 plus days away.  Is it true that you cannot receive a price adjustment on your current booking if the price goes down?

To be honest with you, I have never heard of such a thing. I also dont think that cruise companies are interested in giving away such discounts especially if you have already paid for the cruise. Moreover, its very unlikely that these companies will be willing to issue any kind of discount regardless of the price adjustments.. but you can always calling them to find out more  about it 

9 hours ago, Roger88 said:

To be honest with you, I have never heard of such a thing. I also dont think that cruise companies are interested in giving away such discounts especially if you have already paid for the cruise. Moreover, its very unlikely that these companies will be willing to issue any kind of discount regardless of the price adjustments.. but you can always calling them to find out more  about it 

You have never heard of such a thing? Just curious, have you ever cruised before ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Did you book Early Saver?

I believe guarantee rates cannot be Early Saver rates. I’ve only ever seen them listed as “Super Saver” rates. Which would explain why Jean is being told she can’t price match. Because that only comes with Early Saver rates. 

17 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

I believe guarantee rates cannot be Early Saver rates. I’ve only ever seen them listed as “Super Saver” rates. Which would explain why Jean is being told she can’t price match. Because that only comes with Early Saver rates. 

OK that would explain things as guaranteed rates are not refundable.

still doesn't explain why the rep told OP it was for new bookings only.

I've seen posts before about not being able to match rates where the terms clearly say for new bookings only. Saw such a rate just last night pricing out partial Panama. 

If you click on the rate you are trying to match what does it say?  Here is the one I ran into. 

20200516_220726.jpg

Rate is not refundable. Cabin was booked with proceeds of another cancelled covid cruise. Im going to call back on Monday and see if I can get a different representative. Thx for all the responses. Im not used to Carnivals way of doing things - used to calling RCCL and Celebrity any time I see a price drop and get the adjustment on a guarantee, refundable... as long as it was over the 90 days. Its not a big deal if this is the norm.