Credit Card Dispute Denied?

LDVinNC

I saw on the thread about possible legal action that one of our posters had his/her credit card dispute with a Costco Citi card denied.  Has anyone else had this experience with their card?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Disputing a credit card charge is the nuclear last resort option. If it gets denied you have no further recourse.

Well, I guess you then just wait - possibly forever - for Princess to refund your money.

56 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Disputing a credit card charge is the nuclear last resort option. If it gets denied you have no further recourse.

Please provide the legal analysis for this legal conclusion!  Are you advising all of these folks that they no longer have legal claims and access to the courts if they initiate a chargeback?  I really hope that is not what you are doing.

2 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

I saw on the thread about possible legal action that one of our posters had his/her credit card dispute with a Costco Citi card denied.  Has anyone else had this experience with their card?

Any information as to what exactly they were disputing and the documentation they provided? If their dispute was not supported by the terms and conditions then it could easily be denied. 

For example if someone canceled their cruise themselves, and did so in the penalty period, then if they tried a dispute to get the penalty amount back, even if the cruise line later canceled, then they would most likely get denied.

Princess has stated that those that canceled on or after Feb 4th or 5th (not sure the exact date) for a cruise that Princess later canceled that they would be refunded the penalty amount.  I have gotten an e-mail from Princess confirming that.  While I have disputed a different cruise that I canceled well before the final payment date, I will not file a dispute on the penalty amount lost for 2 reasons  1. The amount in question was an accepted penalty amount when I made the decision to cancel  2. According to the terms and conditions in force at the time I am not entitled to that amount.    As a result I doubt that I would win a dispute on the penalty amount.

They said their cruise was cancelled mid-March and it was for a "pricey July 5th cruisetour in a minisuite."  No information as to when they filed a dispute or how soon their dispute was denied.

It would be good to know more.

I have not heard of any other disputes being denied.  I would like to know if this is happening to others.

I think I read on here a few weeks ago about someone who had the Costco Citi Visa card and their claim was denied.  Don't know if it was the same person.  I would love to hear if anyone reading this used that card and was able to get the refund.

It was me that was denied -- but not my pricey Japan cruisetour because that was charged over 6 months ago. I had 2 other cruises booked for Mexico Dec 2020 (before penalty) which I cancelled and it was denied and another one for Feb 2021  that wasn't denied and I got back the deposit on my charge card. Those 2 deposits were made within 60 days of the dispute. I'm waiting for the $12,500 for Japan on the Diamond July 5 2020 that Princess cancelled in mid march which although is before the penalty hasn't refunded or FCC or acknowledged yet. It's well over the 30 days initially promised, then over the 60 days secondly promised. Now I'm concerned about loosing it all to a bankruptcy. It was a Citibank Visa through Costco. I'm hearing that disputes need to be made in a more timely time frame so didn't dispute the Japan cruisetour.

Edited by cruzsnooze

30 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

It was me that was denied -- but not my pricey Japan cruisetour because that was charged over 6 months ago. I had 2 other cruises booked for Mexico Dec 2020 (before penalty) which I cancelled and it was denied and another one for Feb 2021  that wasn't denied and I got back the deposit on my charge card. Those 2 deposits were made within 60 days of the dispute. I'm waiting for the $12,500 for Japan on the Diamond July 5 2020 that Princess cancelled in mid march which although is before the penalty hasn't refunded or FCC or acknowledged yet. It's well over the 30 days initially promised, then over the 60 days secondly promised. Now I'm concerned about loosing it all to a bankruptcy. It was a Citibank Visa through Costco. I'm hearing that disputes need to be made in a more timely time frame so didn't dispute the Japan cruisetour.

I had a dispute denied on a Chase card...not related to cruising.  I noticed the charge back on my card and received a denial letter in the mail. I called Chase and explained the circumstances again.  They told me they needed a written request, but that I could do that by their secure message service online.  I did that and, while it did take a while, they finally reversed the denial and put the money back into my account.  They also put a remark on my credit card account that dispute reversed, guarantor accepted (or something similar).  This is a a different card and a different situation,  but it still might be worthwhile to call the credit card company again.

• Thanks 1

I will call again and wait the 45 minutes to get transferred to the dispute dept. and try again. Thanks for all the advise. I know I'm not the only one waiting but to me I am out a very large sum and feel I've waited as long as I could. Having been promised 30 days then 60 days and now past 60 days with answers I am getting suspicious about the future of Princess cruises. I have a cruise booked for Aug 2021 for 16 days in a full suite but only have a cash/credit card really deposit of hundreds not thousands so I'm not doing anything about that cruise deposit. I won't loose any sleep loosing a few hundred dollars but I sure will if I loose over 12 Thousand. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I will call again and wait the 45 minutes to get transferred to the dispute dept. and try again. Thanks for all the advise. I know I'm not the only one waiting but to me I am out a very large sum and feel I've waited as long as I could. Having been promised 30 days then 60 days and now past 60 days with answers I am getting suspicious about the future of Princess cruises. I have a cruise booked for Aug 2021 for 16 days in a full suite but only have a cash/credit card really deposit of hundreds not thousands so I'm not doing anything about that cruise deposit. I won't loose any sleep loosing a few hundred dollars but I sure will if I loose over 12 Thousand. 

I suggest also submitting the dispute in writing. Some people answering phones do not always understand   Each person’s situation can be different. Good luck.

Personally I have only $262 in deposits on cruises now. Willing to risk that Inorder to use my FCC. Not willing to give them another cent. I do wish these bankruptcy threads ( well never mind). N

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I am starting to get annoyed as well, waiting for £4000 back

Effective April 1, Visa has stated they will no longer accept a chargeback when the reason is "services not received" IF the merchant was not able to provide the service.  So it could be that or it could be another reason.  There are soooo many posts about chargebacks against all the cruiselines.  Some are because people don't want to wait, others are buyers remorse because terms got better after they cancelled for example.

As to further recourse, it depends.  I once had a chargeback denied (not cruise related) and when it was denied, I was able to challenge it, although I eventually lost (the merchant lied, won't ever shop at Sears or use Discover again!).

On another CL thread, someone posted they did a chargeback and after the charges were reversed, the CL charged a penalty because of the date they cancelled.  They were told by the bank they had no recourse to dispute the penalty.

https://chargebacks911.com/visa-covid-19-rule-changes/

On 5/18/2020 at 11:46 AM, SCOOTERNINJA said:

Please provide the legal analysis for this legal conclusion!  

What an odd demand?  I can't provide any legal analysis for my opinion but I feel like it is unlikely that I will come out financially ahead if I have to hire an attorney and use the court system to recoup the few thousand dollars that princess owes me.  Not to mention the fact that if it comes to that it likely means that there is a bankruptcy and that would make it quite unlikely that I would ever recoup that money.  It seems to me that frugal is correct and that a CC chargeback is the last real viable option. Again, just my opinion please don't demand that I write a case brief about it.  For now we have chosen to wait. And hope. 

• Like 1

It depends on what part of your card's benefits you are filing the dispute under.

For instance, my Chase Sapphire card benefits guide that I downloaded today, states to dispute a purchase, I have to file the complaint within 120 days of the purchase.  So, the cruise I put a deposit on yesterday, that leaves next April, will be outside of the 120 days if I waited until after September to file the dispute.  

But, if I filed the claim under the travel cancellation portion of my benefits:

Eligible Travel Expenses are Non-Refundable prepaid travel expenses
charged by a Travel Supplier (Travel Agency, Tour Operator, Provider
of Lodging, rental car agency, Rented Recreational Vehicle Provider,
commercial recreational excursion provider, Cruise Line, airline,
railroad, and other Common Carriers)

However, the benefit is void if it's due to:

Your disinclination to travel due to an epidemic or pandemic

So, I would not try to dispute the charge as a purchase, but as trip cancellation NOT related to being disinclined to travel because of COVID19.

All in all,  IMO it's best to wait until the cruise line cancels, goes beyond the date they say the refund will be issued, and immediately file the dispute as a trip cancellation.