Would you sail an itinerary like this if Carnival offered it?

Tapi

Thinking here about what things from the past we may see again, and I thought about this. 

Carnival used to offer a 7 night itinerary that allowed embarkation at both New Orleans and Tampa (I believe it was on the Tropicale, and then on the Sensation). It looked something like this:

1. New Orleans
  2. At Sea
  3. Tampa
  4. Key West
  5. At Sea
  6. Cozumel
  7. At Sea
  8. New Orleans

or

1. Tampa
  2. Key West
  3. At Sea
  4. Cozumel
  5. At Sea
  6. New Orleans
  7. At Sea
  8. Tampa

Now, I know that it’s not the most fascinating itinerary, but I was thinking that bringing something like that back could provide some temporary advantages as cruising ramps up again:

• It may be logistically advantageous to have one ship serving two ports of embarkation while demand builds back up again and crews can be repositioned back to work, and while new protocols are established.
  • Two ports of embarkation means that the number of embarking passenger will be split in half, creating less congestion on embarkation and debarkation day, and making it easier to abide by any separation protocols that may be in place.
  • A simple itinerary with mostly U.S. ports of call could address the potential issues concerning a reduced number of ports throughout the Caribbean that, initially, may be willing to receive cruise ships. I do believe that Cozumel will be a very viable port once cruising resumes as Cancun and Riviera Maya will begin receiving passengers by air on June 1st.
  • Should there be an outbreak on board, it may be easier to process passengers and proceed somewhere where medical protocols can be in place.

So, would you sail on an itinerary like this if Carnival offered it? I think I would, at least to keep me happy until cruising options expand again. 

0A6A90BE-406E-49A5-9391-A0E38957CC5D.jpeg

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

I sailed a similar itinerary on the Celebration in 1997.  It was excellent, but seems there was some problem with the embarking at two U.S. ports although I don't remember what it was.  I would definitely like it again when we feel safe to sail.

Didn't the Victory when it was out of Puerto Rico do something similar?  I think the other embarkation port was Barbados and it went in the Eastern/Southern Caribbean route.  ANd yes, I would do this itinerary.

baf 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

Didn't the Victory when it was out of Puerto Rico do something similar?  I think the other embarkation port was Barbados

The Fascination has continued offering the option to sail out of San Juan or Barbados. 

Carnival offers, during limited time of year, cruise to those ports excluding New Orleans. Its not very often and I'm thinking it must be driven by Key West opening their port or not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind going on a cruise with US ports.  I like cruising out of Galveston. Key West is always a neat place to visit.  Ports like Tampa, Miami, Charleston, and New York (much later), would be fun places to visit on a cruise.  I cruised out of New Orleans and really don't have a desire to visit that port again, but I'm sure it's popular for many people.  Add one of the private islands and it would be a nice cruise.

1 hour ago, mbglib said:

I sailed a similar itinerary on the Celebration in 1997.  It was excellent, but seems there was some problem with the embarking at two U.S. ports although I don't remember what it was.  I would definitely like it again when we feel safe to sail.

You are thinking of the PVSA maybe, which entails embarking and debarking at 2 different US ports, which neither of these do. Both are round trips, and including Cozumel, which is the foreign port. 
Personally, I wouldn’t be interested, since I sail for itineraries, but for and sun and beach lovers, it looks good.

Edited by crzndeb

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

At least Galveston has a beach. Go from here not new orleans. 

Till Texas "fixes" their liquor laws, I'm not sailing out of there.    Leaving new Orleans on a summer day is a beautiful cruise down the Mississippi!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobandsherry said:

I'm thinking it must be driven by Key West opening their port or not.

It may happen soon enough:

023A68D4-362B-4610-A827-3264B1FEF3D5.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

HELLO!!! Absolutely!! Galveston is a destination unto itself! I know it''s a pain in the ass to  get there but Galveston has  a rich history, that dates back to the  French explorer Sa Lalle, i the 1690's. Don't forget the raider Jean Lafitte. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2749947-would-you-sail-an-itinerary-like-this-if-carnival-offered-it/?tab=comments#comment-59974849

This is worth  a read folks, ia you have an interest in history

3 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

HELLO!!! Absolutely!! Galveston is a destination unto itself! I know it''s a pain in the ass to  get there but Galveston has  a rich history, that dates back to the  French explorer Sa Lalle, i the 1690's. Don't forget the raider Jean Lafitte. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2749947-would-you-sail-an-itinerary-like-this-if-carnival-offered-it/?tab=comments#comment-59974849

This is worth  a read folks, ia you have an interest in history

Joe, you linked back to this thread.   I'd like to read some history

58 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

New Orleans is a much bigger tourist attraction than Galveston. And for the people that don’t like to stray far from the ship there’s a mall right next to the port. The only thing that close to the Galveston port is a whole bunch of cruise parking lots.

41 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Oh Damn.! Not trying to ruffle feathers. He came from Louisiana to Texas in 1816.

It's a long read but, as a native Texan, worth the read:

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fla12

Texas is home to my children, so no feathers ruffled at all!!   Thanks for the read, fascinating.   I had never heard Laffite's name associated with Texas so i found it very interesting.   

But I still think your liquor laws are stupid!!  😉