Tipping in Europe

What currency do you tip in  - When we sailed from Florida it was easy with dollar bills

In Europe you have euro and would end up using coins?

We are from Ireland so the norm is to round a bill up but how would this work on the ship when everything goes on your bill. I don't mind tipping but €5 (the first 'paper' money) would seem a lot for one drink

Is it ok to tip with coins  - seems strange?

Who are you tipping?

If it's a crew member in cash- it would depend on where the ports are.  If in Europe, cash tips to me would be in Euros so they can be used without the cost of exchanging the money.  In the US, totally in U$ for the same reason.

And I would not tip someone in Spain US$ any more than I would tip someone in Florida Euros.  But more for the US tipping since exchanging Euros is a PITA here.

49 minutes ago, smush21 said:

What currency do you tip in  - When we sailed from Florida it was easy with dollar bills

We are from Ireland so the norm is to round a bill up but how would this work on the ship when everything goes on your bill. I don't mind tipping but €5 (the first 'paper' money) would seem a lot for one drink

ON the ship, drinks will have a 18% tip added, along with some other personal services (spa etc. ) So no need to tip extra, it is already taken care of automatically.  I never carry cash on the ship.

On land, we always tip in the local currency, and it’s fine to tip in coins, such as 1 or 2 euros for cocktails.  Tips are always appreciated!

On the ship we always tip extra in dollars, regardless of whether or not a tip is already added.  We do feel the need and always appreciate the great service we receive on RCL ships. 

5 hours ago, smush21 said:

Tip in $ dollars.

That is the currency on board.

If you have no dollars a couple of Euro's for room service.

A lot of people do not tip or tip very little so anything will be welcomed

10 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

If you're sailing in Europe - why not?

It seems logical.

All RCI ship's onboard currency is US$ regardless of it's sailing, the crew are working to send money home all money is converted into US$ to be transferred as it is the benchmark for currency exchange. They will accept anything with a smile but are not saving it up to buy a cupple of beers after work 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smush21 said:

The crew will be very happy to get whatever dollars or euros You wish to give. Lots of people don’t tip beyond the 18% already included. Sailing back from Europe we tipped in dollars since it would make it easier on them not having to exchange it. 

4 hours ago, smush21 said:

What about a coin - it it ok to give perhaps a €2 coin?

Yes!

But it depends on the situation (just drinks or also food). 

Personally, for a drink or two, I would be very thankful for 2€ as a waiter. (The 1€ and 2€ coins are a good thing). You can also give two ,50€ coins. But do no tip with several ,20€ coins

But for service in a restaurant (not only for drinks), keep the coins and rather tip with bills.

There is no rule like 10% or 15%, but be generous if the service was good.

e. g. for a 50€ meal I would give a 5€ tip

for a 85€ meal I would tip 10€. Maybe 15€, depending on the service.

I was a waiter when I was younger. Some Germans have an awkward attitude towards tipping, e. g. when the bill was 19,60€ some guests gave ,40€ to make it 20€. Wow...happened frequently. I always asked myself if they considered it as a nice gesture.

Edited by AllureOfVacation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hogbay said:

All RCI ship's onboard currency is US$ regardless of it's sailing, the crew are working to send money home all money is converted into US$ to be transferred as it is the benchmark for currency exchange. They will accept anything with a smile but are not saving it up to buy a cupple of beers after work 🙂

Is this something specific to Royal? I deal with various currency transfers and the only time anything has ever involved USD is when that's the origin or destination.

4 minutes ago, Smiles1984 said:

Is this something specific to Royal? I deal with various currency transfers and the only time anything has ever involved USD is when that's the origin or destination.

P&O use £ sterling as onboard currency but Royal,Princess and a lot of other cruiselines US$ is the onboard currency.

On the ship, tip in whatever currency you have...the crew can "exchange" their money easily.  In town, if tips are appropriate, use local currency.  Most just want you to "round up" to the next even amount.  Most Europeans don't expect "generous" tips....just a simple "round up" to the next full "dollar/Euro" amount.

13 hours ago, smush21 said:

Tipping US Dollars on the ship is fine. The currency on the ship (even for crew) is US dollars. And the crew can spend dollars in local stores that cater to the crew (although at a slightly disadvantageous exchange rate). They are buying small items like snacks and toiletries, so the exchange rate is down in the noise. 

16 hours ago, smush21 said:

What about a coin - it it ok to give perhaps a €2 coin?

I see nothing wrong with it. Our neighbors up in Canada have $1 and $2 coins that are used extensively and we have $1 coins here in the states (although we don't seem to use them as much).