Will cruises operate as normal this year?

Loverofcrafting

I ha e a western Mediterranean cruise booked with msc cruises.   Flying from the UK into Madrid and starting the cruise there and visiting ports in Italy and Malta and I don't know about the rest of the iternery.  The cruise was booked before all this virus emerged in countries.  Me and the partner were due to go in October. 

Me and the partner are divided on what way to go from here.  I don't want to go.  There's too much risks involved from travelling to the airports and flying, to a week on board the ship, to travelling home, and then implementing a 2 week isolation at home in case I come down with the virus.  I never really planned for any of that.  Also what if we get sick on holidays as well? It doesn't make sense to continue with the holidays/cruise booked.  

So far we only have a deposit payed. Me, I would gladly cancel and throw the deposit to the wall but I'm travelling with my partner.  I don't want him to lose out on his deposit.  We have decided to hold off from cancelling in the hopes the cruise line will cancel closer to the payment date.  Does that make sense? Will we get our deposit back then? Will cruises be operating by October? 

I'm not interested in a deferral for next year if that's another option. 

Your not wanting to take a possible future credit and postpone until next year limits your options.  How is your partner wanting you to make full payment much different than you asking them to lose deposit?  If you don't plan to go then logically it would be better to lose the lesser amount.  Would an option be to find someone to take your place?  MSC allows one name change to a booking.  Officially it's a $75 fee, but I've seen it waived.

Edited by Até

Our Med MSC cruise this month was cancelled some time ago but only after the date the balance was due to be paid, In the circumstances we decided to pay the balance rather than forfeit the deposit of some £1500 and are now waiting for a future Cruise Certificate valued at 1.25% of the total fare paid. The catch here is that we cannot re-book until we receive the FCC (which from other tabs many people who's cruise was cancelled back in March are still waiting to receive as they are doing in in cruise date order). Furthermore, we must re-book by 31 Jan 21 for a cruise in the same geographical area as the one cancelled and must be taken by 31 Dec 21 otherwise we will receive a 100% refund of the original fare paid. Personally, I wouldn't even consider another cruise until at least mid 2021 by which time hopefully some of the dust will have settled but we are constrained by school holidays. 

Predicting what will happen in October is currently just a wild guess.  But I think the issue with most itineraries in Europe is going to depend on the willingness of various ports to open up to the cruise ships.  I have little doubt that MSC will have most of their ships up and running by October...assuming that there are enough ports to accept the ships.  

We face a similar problem with an October booking (on the Regal Princess) for a cruise from Rome (Civitavecchia) to Singapore.  Princess has cancelled all the Regal cruises up until our October departure which is essentially a repositioning cruise to get that vessel from Europe to Australia where it is scheduled to spend a few months.  Whether or not this cruise will happen will likely depend on whether Australia and New Zealand will open up their ports.  Some folks who live in that part of the world have posted that they expect Aus/NZ to remain closed until 2021!   So just like you, we have to soon decide whether to make our final payment (this is a very big payment) or simply cancel (our deposit would be refunded).  At this point we are pretty certain to cancel this cruise because of our concern that many of the ports on our itinerary will be closed.

Hank

Spain has joined Italy & Greece in opening borders to international tourists from 1st July so tourists will be allowed into most if not all Europe this summer.

whether this means cruise ships will be allowed as well has not been published yet, I would assume MSC along with other lines will be discussing with various tourism ministers.

With MSC being a major Italian line they may have more influence in Italy!

The UK Foreign Office still has a no travel ban to anywhere at present and anyone arriving has to quarantine for 14 days. Although countries are opening up for tourism, it doesn't look likely UK passengers will be enjoying any travel anytime soon. 

9 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

The UK Foreign Office still has a no travel ban to anywhere at present and anyone arriving has to quarantine for 14 days. Although countries are opening up for tourism, it doesn't look likely UK passengers will be enjoying any travel anytime soon. 

I would hope by July U.K. Will reopen borders to some European countries, it's only until 29/06 at present.

There has been talk of introducing these air bridge agreements, so maybe some travel restrictions will be lifted. Although a Minister, think it was the Health one said don't expect any lavish summer holidays. Assuming cruising is considered lavish, camping in France might be on though 😉

3 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

I would hope by July U.K. Will reopen borders to some European countries, it's only until 29/06 at present.

And, it hasn't yet been applied....from memory, 8th June is the start date.....go figure, you couldn't make it up! 

Define "normal"

If you're asking specifically about quarantines, social distancing, not being allowed to mentally separate yourself from the pandemic going on in the world while on the ship... Yeah, you're going to be seeing this for a while.  Mandatory quarantines will likely be implemented for anyone coming back from a cruise, and you'll likely need a signed note from your doctor stating you are healthy before you'll be allowed on the ship.

Most countries are going to be very conservative on allowing people back into their countries, even if those same countries are acting like complete morons within the borders (looking at us, United States).

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

Define "normal"

If you're asking specifically about quarantines, social distancing, not being allowed to mentally separate yourself from the pandemic going on in the world while on the ship... Yeah, you're going to be seeing this for a while.  Mandatory quarantines will likely be implemented for anyone coming back from a cruise, and you'll likely need a signed note from your doctor stating you are healthy before you'll be allowed on the ship.

Most countries are going to be very conservative on allowing people back into their countries, even if those same countries are acting like complete morons within the borders (looking at us, United States).

I disagree with the bits in bold.

On 5/28/2020 at 5:50 AM, CruisingFox27 said:

Recent interviews with some of the cruise lines execs.

Still understandably doesn't confirm anything but indicates the current thinking. 

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-execs-reveal-where-first-cruise-ships-could-sail-from/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Also CC just published an interview with the head of Carnival if you want to try to glean some more insight.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5366/

The UK is still currently the 3rd worse hit country in the world. So will be fairly low on the list when it comes to other countries letting tourists in. Your arguments for cancelling are all valid. However if you can't convince your partner, maybe compromising with a postponement would. At least then you'd see the new cruising landscape before you sail.

If cruises go ahead in October you'll be a guinea pig for the industry.

All the cruisers will operate as normal this year. They have already agreed on certain limitations but they will not affect the industry much. Masks, social distancing, buffet free zones and etc. I wouldnt say that these limitations are a good thing but taking into account the current situation it would be better to follow some of the rules of this new on board policies. I doubt they will last long but as long as they last I would rather follow 

On 5/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, ssmea03 said:

Also CC just published an interview with the head of Carnival if you want to try to glean some more insight.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5366/

The UK is still currently the 3rd worse hit country in the world. So will be fairly low on the list when it comes to other countries letting tourists in. Your arguments for cancelling are all valid. However if you can't convince your partner, maybe compromising with a postponement would. At least then you'd see the new cruising landscape before you sail.

If cruises go ahead in October you'll be a guinea pig for the industry.

Thanks for your reply. 

It's disappointing from my point to see cruises will be operating but at the end of the day, they are businesses.  Their job is to get people on board and spend money and make money. 

My cruise was booked well before this virus emerged.  I'm not interested in holidays this year. Not now.   Both me and my partner have no known underlying conditions.  I am in the obese category and he would be too.  That is an underlying condition in relation to this virus.  I'm spending the summer working hard at bring the bmi down. I started off at 39.9 and I'm 38 bmi now and I'm working more to bring it down, down, down.  I'm more worried about my partner.  Diabetes runs in his family.  I just don't want to take ill out abroad. I don't want to see him sick either. 

In relation to cruises getting up and running again with restrictions and social distancing, it wouldnt be half as bad if I lived in the same country as the departing port.  I could drive to the port, park and get on the ship.  I'm travelling from the UK.  It means travelling from my home by bus to the airport.  That's a 3 hour journey on the bus.   Then there is the airport and transfers.   There's far too much risks for picking this up in all them scenarios. 

I'm not interested in a deferral for next year either.  I have family abroad living in Australia. I miss them so much.  If a vaccine comes through and if I have money next year, I know what I want to do next year.  I want to see my family in Australia.   I won't be able to afford a holiday to a Australia and a cruise.

As reported above, some cruises are eager to get back like the carnival cruises as an example. 

That doesn't bode well with me at all, all.  Leaving aside my own personal situation here,  how about staff and the staff quarters on the ships. They live in cramped conditions while they are on board the ship. That doesn't bode well with me at all.  Right now, the virus is suppressed in some countries with cases decreasing but the virus will still be out there.   I don't feel comfortable with the idea of being served by staff who might be sick with this infection.

Norway will not be accepting cruise ships at all this year apart from those by Norwegian companies, hard to see where these ships will sail to if anywhere.

There is still no decision on how ships will operate and how customers will be dealt with onboard.

My own feeling is that the next announcement may be cancellations to the end of August.