Question about Amalfi/Positano Port

Hi.  I am planning a cruise on the Splendor that includes a port labeled "Amalfi/Positano".  Does anyone know where the ship will actually be docking?  I'm asking because my husband and I want to spend the day in Positano (having been there almost 20 years ago and loving it), and I'm not sure how to actually accomplish getting to Positano and returning to the ship.

Many thanks.  Any other advice regarding this would be greatly appreciated. 

I have been there 3 times on Regent.  It is a tender port.  They offer an excursion to Positano by boat which is what I recommend.  A smaller boat takes you to Positano and drops you off to do your own thing then takes you back to Amalfi.  Great lunch option in Amalfi, and good hiking if you are in to that, with trails accessible from the town.

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

I have been there 3 times on Regent.  It is a tender port.  They offer an excursion to Positano by boat which is what I recommend.  A smaller boat takes you to Positano and drops you off to do your own thing then takes you back to Amalfi.  Great lunch option in Amalfi, and good hiking if you are in to that, with trails accessible from the town.

Many thanks for this.  So is Amalfi the tender port?  Also, we would like to spend the day in Positano and have lunch there.  Do you think this would be doable taking the Regent excursion to Positano, or should we arrange to do this on our own?

Many thanks for this.  So is Amalfi the tender port?  Also, we would like to spend the day in Positano and have lunch there.  Do you think this would be doable taking the Regent excursion to Positano, or should we arrange to do this on our own?

Almalfi was the Tender for us, and yes do it on your own! We arranged a car service, the driver recommended the places to go. It was probably one of the most amazing trips I have ever been on. Very jealous of you!

5 hours ago, RachelG said:

For us this is a great day, until you got to the hiking part😄.

Don't forget about Ravello! It is beautiful as well. It is entirely possible, actually easy, to do all three - Positano, Amalfi and Ravello in one day. Do it on your own making frequent stops for refreshments (read gelato) and lunch. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Don't forget about Ravello! It is beautiful as well. It is entirely possible, actually easy, to do all three - Positano, Amalfi and Ravello in one day. Do it on your own making frequent stops for refreshments (read gelato) and lunch. 

Agree with you most definitely about Ravello. It’s one of the loveliest places and the views are beautiful. A trip to remember.  Jean.

Yes, Ravello is very beautiful.  We actually took a bus to Ravello once then hiked to Amalfi. I don't recommend this unless you are a good hiker.  But it is very beautiful.  You hike alongside a stream where they used to have paper mills in the past.  There is a paper museum in Amalfi that is worth a look as well and has really well priced very high quality gifts.

yes, normally (whatever that means) it's a tender port, but.....we've there a few times and had both tenders and docks in Naples. It's too early (imho) to say right now what will happen, so I'd be flexible and see what the actual itinerary say 4 weeks out. It seems to me you are planning a tour on your own. There are plenty of tours/agencies/operators you can book and they will be equally flexible based on where the ship will dock/tender. 

As I have put elsewhere tender ports will be a real problem in the future. How the tenders will work with distancing it's hard to answer? The packing in on tenders at start and end of the day is a major issue, which will have to be addressed.

1 hour ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

As I have put elsewhere tender ports will be a real problem in the future. How the tenders will work with distancing it's hard to answer? The packing in on tenders at start and end of the day is a major issue, which will have to be addressed.

This may be an area where masks are required and passengers may need to catch the tender back earlier than normal to accommodate having less passengers on each tender.  It is doable.

Definitely a tender port - I have relatives who live in Amalfi.

You will be tendered to Amalfi Quay and from there it's just a very short walk to the main shopping street and the dramatic Cathedral.

We were unable to board the boat excursion [to visit Positano (if you must)] direct from the ship. We had to go to the Quay and transfer to the boat. Occasionally the sea can be too rough for the boats to make the excursion to any if the nearby coastal attractions, and we have known the roads to be closed due to either road works or forest fires.