Ship for Alaska

Dar & Bob

We are looking at booking a Princess cruise to Alaska for summer 2021.  The itinerary we want has 3 ships, the Coral, the Star and the Sapphire.  I have read some reviews and watched some videos.  They all look very similar.  Just looking for thoughts of anything you especially liked or disliked about any of these ships.  

The Star and Sapphire are pretty similar - though built at different shipyards and only slightly different.

In the order of my preference:

1. Coral Princess (smaller). This ship is a favorite of many of us due to being smaller, great layout.

2. Sapphire Princess (newer than Star and better made IMO due to shipyard). I have been on this ship more than any other ship and have always been pleased. I was on her in 2018 and it was in excellent condition.

3. Star Princess - older. I haven't been on her forever and am not sure her condition but would sail her again.

I have always been pleased with all of these ships.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cruiserkenn said:

I would sail on any of them but I really like the Sapphire's wide, sheltered promenade deck.  Fantastic for Alaska scenery,

Enjoy Alaska!

I have spent hours on the Promenade deck in Alaska on the Sapphire. Those chairs on the deck are great for reading and watching scenery go by! I also spend time on Promenade deck (on all 3 of those ships) for glacier days as they are covered (sheltered) and allow you to move around easily for different view. I completely agree with you.

It is great to see Sapphire back in Alaska.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I have spent hours on the Promenade deck in Alaska on the Sapphire. Those chairs on the deck are great for reading and watching scenery go by! I also spend time on Promenade deck (on all 3 of those ships) for glacier days as they are covered (sheltered) and allow you to move around easily for different view. I completely agree with you.

The Star is only 3 years older than the Sapphire (launched in 2001 and 2004, resp.).  We've been on both (Sapphire once, Star at least 3 times).  Last cruise to Alaska was on the Star in 2014.  It was in great shape then and I assume Princess has not let it deteriorate since then <g>.

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Not sure what your schedule requirements are, but we selected the Star for Alaska 2021 as it departs on Saturdays.  The other two ships you mentioned primarily leave on Wednesdays.  

Departure date doesn't matter, it may make a difference in the airfare, which I should look at  🙂 

Thanks

3 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

The Star is only 3 years older than the Sapphire (launched in 2001 and 2004, resp.).  We've been on both (Sapphire once, Star at least 3 times).  Last cruise to Alaska was on the Star in 2014.  It was in great shape then and I assume Princess has not let it deteriorate since then <g>.

Glad the Star is still in great condition! I have sailed them both many times, the Sapphire a lot. I always preferred the "few extra changes" on the Sapphire. Or I think the Japanese ship builder just did a better job. Regardless, I have many memories on the Star and would choose her over many other ships in the Princess fleet. 

The good news is the OP can't go wrong. All 3 ships are good for Alaska.

• Like 1

I have sailed on Coral Princess and Star Princess.  I choose Coral.  Her Horizon Court Restaurant overlooking the bow is great for Alaska sightseeing, particularly when the weather outside is not the best.  Star Princess is a nice ship, but it does not have that type of venue.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Not sure what your schedule requirements are, but we selected the Star for Alaska 2021 as it departs on Saturdays.  The other two ships you mentioned primarily leave on Wednesdays.  

I chose the Star for a May 2021  cruise also.

I enjoyed my cruises on the Island Princess last summer, which is the sister to the Coral, albeit with some major modifications that make it less desirable. I had a great time. We also enjoyed our Alaskan cruises on the Star (way back in 2003) and the Sapphire (in 2012). I wouldn't worry about sailing on any of the three ships you mention. 

• Like 1

Coral - she has fore and aft viewing decks on Baja and Caribe decks.

Sapphire next for the wide promenade. Sailed Sapphire to Norway last year. I actually prefer the atrium area of Sapphire more than that of Coral.

Star is last choice but I don't have anything against her. Just no wide promenade and no fore and aft viewing decks.

• Like 1

I’ve sailed on all three. I love the Sapphire, but I would pick the Coral for Alaska. Lots of open deck space for viewing. The “secret” forward decks are great. Less people to wait in line with when returning to the ship. Covered pool. 

We did 2 cruises on the Star, and one was Alaska, we really enjoyed it. As for open decks, we spend most of the viewing time on our balcony . You get great views and no fighting for rail space.But ordered lunch and sit right there and enjoy our private space.

We found nothing wrong with the Star.

• Like 1

The problem with scenic viewing in Alaska from a balcony is that you usually miss at least half of the scenery or potential wildlife sightings. I like to be out front on the promenade deck or on one of those other forward facing outside viewing areas.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Star is last choice but I don't have anything against her. Just no wide promenade and no fore and aft viewing decks.

The Star does have a wide promenade--I spent the whole time out there when we on her at Glacier Bay.  It was an overcast, cool day, but waitstaff brought around free hot beverages from time to time.  And I was well bundled up <g>.  There also is a forward facing deck on the Star--we were allowed out there for the SF sailaway.  Great photo op while approaching and going under GG Bridge.  This area is above the bridge and accessed through a door all the way forward on Lido Deck, as I recall.  Door is usually locked. 

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

The Star does have a wide promenade--I spent the whole time out there when we on her at Glacier Bay.  It was an overcast, cool day, but waitstaff brought around free hot beverages from time to time.  And I was well bundled up <g>.  There also is a forward facing deck on the Star--we were allowed out there for the SF sailaway.  Great photo op while approaching and going under GG Bridge.  This area is above the bridge and accessed through a door all the way forward on Lido Deck, as I recall.  Door is usually locked. 

I think the Sapphire's is a tad wider. Plus, they have better chairs on the deck than the Star (from my recollection). I am willing for someone to tell me I am wrong. Regardless, the promenade deck is great on the Star also. Just preferred the Sapphire a tad more. 

On the deck plans, both ships' promenade look the same width.  Both have the same kind of wood loungers, I believe.  They're actually fairly similar, size-wise:  Star--109 GT, 950 ft long, 118 ft wide, 2600 pax; Sapphire--116 GT, 951 ft long, 121 ft wide, 2670 pax.  The main difference is which company built them:  Star built by Fincantieri, Sapphire by Mitsubishi.  Design-wise, at least when they were new is that the Star has the Vista Lounge and Sapphire has Club Fusion.  Vista L has rows of upholstered seating on a sloping floor, Club Fusion had a Western motif (when we were on her) with tables and chairs on a flat floor, as I recall.

8 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

On the deck plans, both ships' promenade look the same width.  Both have the same kind of wood loungers, I believe.  They're actually fairly similar, size-wise:  Star--109 GT, 950 ft long, 118 ft wide, 2600 pax; Sapphire--116 GT, 951 ft long, 121 ft wide, 2670 pax.  The main difference is which company built them:  Star built by Fincantieri, Sapphire by Mitsubishi.  Design-wise, at least when they were new is that the Star has the Vista Lounge and Sapphire has Club Fusion.  Vista L has rows of upholstered seating on a sloping floor, Club Fusion had a Western motif (when we were on her) with tables and chairs on a flat floor, as I recall.

I swore the Sapphire has loungers and the Star (and similar ships) have chairs on the deck. Things may have changed since I was on them.

7 hours ago, Decpl said:

As for open decks, we spend most of the viewing time on our balcony . You get great views and no fighting for rail space.But ordered lunch and sit right there and enjoy our private space.

Many cruise guests like you choose to do so and enjoy doing so.  Not just in Alaska, but also in other scenic areas, i.e. Panama Canal transits.

Personally, if I would so so, I would keep wondering:  what's going on on the other side?  Or ahead of us?  Or behind us?

Each to their own preferences!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, geoherb said:

I enjoyed my cruises on the Island Princess last summer, which is the sister to the Coral, albeit with some major modifications that make it less desirable. 

It's those modifications that would prevent me from booking Island Princess.