Regent Watercooler! Off topic and non-cruise discussion here!

Are any of you affected by the current riots?  Being from Southern California, this reminds me of the Rodney King riots.  Not only are they harming their own communities but are exposing each other to the virus.  I find this very frustrating (note:  while I am 100% against what was done by the police ,I am also 100% against the rioting and destruction).  Wish that I could post some uplifting remarks but things seem to get worse every day.  Anyone feeling positive?  Think that I need some positivity!

• Like 1

My city of Philadelphia has been the subject of riots, looting, mayhem and fires today. Seems as if the virus, social distancing is not the rage anymore, "protests" are. I cant go to bed because the fumes from a nearby fire is still seeping into my apartment. Other than that , all is well. Just yesterday my main concern was when would my hairdresser open? Oh well!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Are any of you affected by the current riots?  Being from Southern California, this reminds me of the Rodney King riots.  Not only are they harming their own communities but are exposing each other to the virus.  I find this very frustrating (note:  while I am 100% against what was done by the police ,I am also 100% against the rioting and destruction).  Wish that I could post some uplifting remarks but things seem to get worse every day.  Anyone feeling positive?  Think that I need some positivity!

"Frustrating"??? LOL!!! Try, infuriating. The least of my concerns is that these so called "protesters" catch the virus or bring it back to their "communities". My neighborhood has been vandalized, and as I speak the fumes from the burning reaches my apartment and stings my eyes. I have no sympathy for this people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

It is such a tragedy, agree. Now we all wait for the Covid numbers to rise in these big cities.

Here in my ski town in CO, we have people calling and wanting 1 to 2 year rental leases sight unseen. I anticipate people leaving these cities in droves. A farm or ranch seems like a luxury now to many of these city dwellers.

I don't think a cruise would be looted or burned down either. Getting more attractive 😉

• Like 1

Maria, so sorry to learn what is going on in your neighborhood.  I watched the news for 2 hours last night and definitely went from frustrated to infuriated.  Hoping that the National Guard presence will calm the situation.

TrulyBlonde - really like your comment about cruise ships being fairly safe from looting and being burned down.  Agree that some city dwellers may rethink where they want to live.

Having been raised in Los Angeles, I paid specific attention to those news feeds (after my daughter called me and said "I'm fine" and I had no clue what she was talking about until she explained).  Apparently in L.A., they rioted downtown on Friday (an area that no one wants to live) and the next day picked a different spot.  Many of the stores that were destroyed (in all affected cities) had been closed and unable to make money for almost 3 months and now many of these stores are a total loss.

I may be off-base here but I feel that the coronavirus played into this.  While I am 100% against what the police did - killing a man that was already handcuffed and down on the ground, the reaction is worse than has been seen - ever.  Many of these protesters have been locked down for a while - not able to go to school or work.  I'm wondering if this is a horrible way of releasing pent-up anger about both the killing and the virus.  

Yesterday should have been such a positive day for the U.S. with the successful launch of the spacecraft but it was overshadowed by the riots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seem to be sensible measures and what I would expect.  I wouldn't be surprised if they slightly exceed whatever final regulations come out from the relevant authority

Doesn't cover their protocols should they have an outbreak onboard from someone that was displaying no symptoms when they boarded.  This is my main fear and the subsequent quarantine and difficulty getting into port

Regent UK Ts&Cs have a clause which means that the passenger has to pay for all board and lodgings should the ship be quarantined.  It is impossible to get insurance to cover for this (well I haven't found one yet that will cover)

Unless this clause is removed I cannot see myself cruising until this crisis is over.  Well that is what my head says.  My heart is another story

3 hours ago, cerise638 said:

Seem to be sensible measures and what I would expect.  I wouldn't be surprised if they slightly exceed whatever final regulations come out from the relevant authority

Doesn't cover their protocols should they have an outbreak onboard from someone that was displaying no symptoms when they boarded.  This is my main fear and the subsequent quarantine and difficulty getting into port

Regent UK Ts&Cs have a clause which means that the passenger has to pay for all board and lodgings should the ship be quarantined.  It is impossible to get insurance to cover for this (well I haven't found one yet that will cover)

Unless this clause is removed I cannot see myself cruising until this crisis is over.  Well that is what my head says.  My heart is another story

where are the measures? I would like to see them. We have a cruise scheduled for November. 
thanks

sheila

2 hours ago, cerise638 said:

Your point about onboarding lodging, etc if there was an outbreak is definitely something to think about.  I'm not certain if they are in our Ts&Cs - will have to check.  Still, my husband, Dennis, thinks that cruise ships will likely be safer than any place on earth as their restrictions will be enforced and the sanitation measures sound quite good.

Have to ask where you live in the U.K.  Dennis is from London  so we have been there several times (but not recently as we seem to always be cruising).  I love the West of England (actually, I love everything about England).  It is so wonderful to have my own private tour guide (especially when trying to navigate the "tube" in London.)  It is really confusing for this American that was raised in Los Angeles with horrible transportation.

I also want to thank you for your kindness and support.  It is appreciated more than you know!

15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Your point about onboarding lodging, etc if there was an outbreak is definitely something to think about.  I'm not certain if they are in our Ts&Cs - will have to check.  Still, my husband, Dennis, thinks that cruise ships will likely be safer than any place on earth as their restrictions will be enforced and the sanitation measures sound quite good.

Have to ask where you live in the U.K.  Dennis is from London  so we have been there several times (but not recently as we seem to always be cruising).  I love the West of England (actually, I love everything about England).  It is so wonderful to have my own private tour guide (especially when trying to navigate the "tube" in London.)  It is really confusing for this American that was raised in Los Angeles with horrible transportation.

I also want to thank you for your kindness and support.  It is appreciated more than you know!

TC. I am lucky enough to live in the South West of England between Bath and Bristol in a village with all the cliches, Church, village pub etc.  But we are close enough to two beautiful cities to get the benefit of their amenities.

I think everyone needs to be kind to one another especially at the moment.  Quite often I read posts that make me mad but then take a deep breath and usually realise that everyone has the right to voice their opinions without censure.

Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tubeamps said:

Paragraph 12 of the Ticket Contract is tItled Guest Detention.

It appears to state that in the case of quarantine all additional expenses are on the passenger.

If they were to enforce this, it would be a PR nightmare for them.  Even Princess did not charge the passengers for their quarantine expenses.

• Like 1

Tc2 you recommended on another thread that Figi was a Great destination for a landtrip.  It is a long way from the UK. We have done the Philippines and Bali so not quite the same area.  In your opinion is it different enough to make the trip  worthwhile and would you combine with anywhere else.

All thoughts welcome 

48 minutes ago, cerise638 said:

Tc2 you recommended on another thread that Figi was a Great destination for a landtrip.  It is a long way from the UK. We have done the Philippines and Bali so not quite the same area.  In your opinion is it different enough to make the trip  worthwhile and would you combine with anywhere else.

All thoughts welcome 

We love Bali but have only visited the Philippines for one day.  Fiji is different in terms of them having many small islands with luxury resorts.  The water is beautiful (not quite as beautiful as Tahiti - but the warm, lovely of people of Fiji make up for it.  When we first researched Fiji many years ago, we were told that if you meet a fisherman on the beach and start a conversation, it is likely that you will be invited to their home for dinner and it is a bit of an insult if you refuse.  This actually happened to us and we really wanted to go but were on a cruise (small boat with maybe 50 people) so we couldn't do it.  I felt badly.  When you do visit a home, the typical gift to bring to the host is "kava" a drink that is easier to look up rather than explain.

On our second visit to Fiji we stayed in a resort with 6 'fares' (bungalow's).  We arrived by sea plane and everyone was on the beach to welcome us with their greeting "Bula". To this day, I tear up when someone uses that term.  It was all-inclusive and they took extraordinary care of us.  There was a very small. glass bottom boat that you could use to drive around the local area.  When we went snorkeling, they followed us and always had a drink and snack ready for. us.  We have lunch on a "sand spit".  There was no one around - the lunch that was packed included sandwiches and champagne.  It was set up on a table very elegantly.  There were blue starfish around us in the sea.  When the tide started to come in, we had to contact them to come and get us.  

We became close to a man that worked there and was raised as a woman.  This happens in a family when there are too many boys and the family needs to have women in the kitchen to cook.  He was amazing and we became quite friendly.  When we left, he took shells from his home to give to us so that we will remember him (we will never forget him).  We also visited a church and school where there is a sign stating "speak English".  The children sang songs and were able to recite the names of every member of England's Royal Family.  

Sorry for rambling but we were so amazed by this lovely little country.  One could stop in Hawaii for a few days to break up the trip - then maybe go to Australia (by plane) and fly home from there.  It is far - even for us but it was an experience that changed us forever.  Note:  The main island of Fiji is a mess - you go there to take a plane to another island.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, cerise638 said:

All thoughts welcome 

TC2 may have recommended it, but I have been there. I also have been to French Polynesia. Two different trips on a cruise. I loved FP but if you want to spend your time going to mediocre resorts, driving past prisons etc. it will be your choice. Highly overrated. Yes, you may call it exotic 😉

19 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

TC2 may have recommended it, but I have been there. I also have been to French Polynesia. Two different trips on a cruise. I loved FP but if you want to spend your time going to mediocre resorts, driving past prisons etc. it will be your choice. Highly overrated. Yes, you may call it exotic 😉

We were posting at the same time.  Our experience was very different than yours.  We stayed in a luxury resort and never saw a prison or anything that was distasteful.  As I mentioned, the main island Nadi - pronounced "nandi" is not somewhere that I would want to spend any time.  One resort in Fiji (Turtle Island) has hosted many Hollywood stars. They apparently love it.  There was nothing second rate at our resort or many others that are on different Fijiian islands.

Your experience in Fiji may be like ours in Bora Bora, Tahiti (by ship).  We saw the worst  of the island.  I just read that Regent's excursion to Bloody Mary's restaurant is about $179/person.  The place is adorable but touristy with sand floors and dollar bills on the wall.  We had one Bloody Mary that was okay but not worth what we paid.  It is definitely not representative of Bora Bora (a place that we first visited in 1982).  

Here is a link to Turtle Island https://www.turtlefiji.com (not where we stayed but shows a bit of Fiji).

Note:  We have been to Tahiti four times - three of them at Club Med (no longer there) and once when we were sailing on the Paul Gauguin.  We have been to Fiji twice -- for one week each time - once on the small boat cruise and once at a luxury resort.  Of the two countries, Fiji is the one that we would most want to go back to.

Edited by Travelcat2

15 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

We were posting at the same time.  Our experience was very different than yours.  We stayed in a luxury resort and never saw a prison or anything that was distasteful.  As I mentioned, the main island Nadi - pronounced "nandi" is not somewhere that I would want to spend any time.  One resort in Fiji (Turtle Island) has hosted many Hollywood stars. They apparently love it.  There was nothing second rate at our resort or many others that are on different Fijiian islands.

Your experience in Fiji may be like ours in Bora Bora, Tahiti (by ship).  We saw the worst  of the island.  I just read that Regent's excursion to Bloody Mary's restaurant is about $179/person.  The place is adorable but touristy with sand floors and dollar bills on the wall.  We had one Bloody Mary that was okay but not worth what we paid.  It is definitely not representative of Bora Bora (a place that we first visited in 1982).  

Here is a link to Turtle Island https://www.turtlefiji.com (not where we stayed but shows a bit of Fiji).

Note:  We have been to Tahiti four times - three of them at Club Med (no longer there) and once when we were sailing on the Paul Gauguin.  We have been to Fiji twice -- for one week each time - once on the small boat cruise and once at a luxury resort.  Of the two countries, Fiji is the one that we would most want to go back to.

Yes, we did FP with Paul Gauguin too. It was wonderful. However, most of the Fiji Islands were a huge disappointment for us. My dear friend from Melbourne agrees with me when I told her of our experience. 

I also would not go into the water due to the snakes that will kill you. We did see them hanging around too.

Your land trip was obviously all inclusive and different than what we experienced off of a cruise ship to many of the islands. When at Isles of Pines, we had a lovely day just staying on the ship ( it is beautiful) and not venturing out. Great views.

On 5/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, Dolebludger said:

We don’t have a “vacation cottage” because we live in one — just larger than the usual one. It is in the mountains, but only a half hour’s drive from the desert. We are thinking about some national park visits this fall. Mesa Verde is only an hour or so away. The Grand Canyon is a day and a half’s drive away. Zion national park is a day drive away. So these are what we are looking at for fall. I’m not going to go on another anti-airline rant that nobody wants to read, but will say that we are not satisfied with their present onboard distancing policies, and leave it there. But we are fortunate to live in an area where there are many  places to go on vacation that we can reasonably get to by car that we haven't visited lately.

We are going to Durango over the 4th.  Lots of plans for day trips in the area.  Great place to cool off!!

Just found this.  I think the covid thing has played into the rioting as well. At least in Tulsa, most all the rioters after the initial protest on the first day (which was peaceful) are teenagers.  All the ones who have been arrested for vandalism and throwing rocks at police are teenagers. They meet up on facebook and pick a place to go and cause trouble.  I think they need to institute a curfew, but that hasn't been done yet. There were fewer of them last night than over the weekend, so hopefully some parents are catching on to what is going on and putting a stop to it.

As usual, I’m late to the party.  Seems like we’ve gone from cabins to camping to riots.  Never a dull moment on these boards...

I had to agree with the camping comments - I used to love camping out when I was younger - West Virginia and Colorado were personal favorites.  But after 20 years of military service, several of which included ‘non-voluntary, non-recreational camping’ it kind of lost its luster.  And my wife is also of the ‘roughing it is not having room service’ persuasion, so camping isn’t in the cards for me any more.  An RV, maybe, but even then, I prefer a cruise.   🙂

We’re planning a short ‘vacation’ to Norfolk in a few weeks to see our daughter, who is FINALLY back from Afghanistan.  She was due home in April but Covid had different plans for them.  So she’s back on US soil but in a 14 day lockdown.  As soon as she’s free, we’re going to spend a few days with her.  That’ll be fun!

This was the same daughter we had planned a cruise with, well, right now (we were supposed to be in the Med right now).  Obviously that didn’t go so we’re looking to the fall (unlikely) or early spring (a bit more likely).  

So much going on in the world today and all I want to do is take a cruise for a few weeks. Does that make me a bad person?  LOL!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

As usual, I’m late to the party.  Seems like we’ve gone from cabins to camping to riots.  Never a dull moment on these boards...

I had to agree with the camping comments - I used to love camping out when I was younger - West Virginia and Colorado were personal favorites.  But after 20 years of military service, several of which included ‘non-voluntary, non-recreational camping’ it kind of lost its luster.  And my wife is also of the ‘roughing it is not having room service’ persuasion, so camping isn’t in the cards for me any more.  An RV, maybe, but even then, I prefer a cruise.   🙂

We’re planning a short ‘vacation’ to Norfolk in a few weeks to see our daughter, who is FINALLY back from Afghanistan.  She was due home in April but Covid had different plans for them.  So she’s back on US soil but in a 14 day lockdown.  As soon as she’s free, we’re going to spend a few days with her.  That’ll be fun!

This was the same daughter we had planned a cruise with, well, right now (we were supposed to be in the Med right now).  Obviously that didn’t go so we’re looking to the fall (unlikely) or early spring (a bit more likely).  

So much going on in the world today and all I want to do is take a cruise for a few weeks. Does that make me a bad person?  LOL!

UUNetBill, please tell you daughter Welcome Home!  And thank her for her service and thank you for your service.  My husband is retired from the USN after 24 years.  I remember teasing him that I had to stay home with the kids while he was on a 6 month CRUISE!  

Enjoy the visit with your daughter!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boats07 said:

UUNetBill, please tell you daughter Welcome Home!  And thank her for her service and thank you for your service.  My husband is retired from the USN after 24 years.  I remember teasing him that I had to stay home with the kids while he was on a 6 month CRUISE!  

Enjoy the visit with your daughter!

Boats - I’ll tell her, thanks!  Be sure and tell your swabbing that the zoomie thanks him for his service as well - and to you for holding down the fort for all those years.  Military spouses get overlooked WAY too often.

I had to laugh because my daughter had a layover on her flight back from Quatar. They stopped for fuel, and the passengers got some beer and pretzels to snack on while they serviced the aircraft.  It was their first alcohol in something like 8 months, I’m sure it was special being German bier!!  But the funny thing is that they were at Frankfurt/Hahn which she didn’t know used to be an active US air base and was coincidentally my last duty station in Germany before I came back stateside for the end of my career.  Small world.

Will do, all, thanks!

We’re especially proud of her and her good taste as when we asked her what she wanted to do to celebrate her homecoming, she didn’t hesitate:  “I want to go on a Regent cruise with you guys!”

What a kid.

PS - We took her and her sister on Navigator about 10 years ago on a 7-night to Alaska and she’s still got the bug.

• Like 1