RCI lift and shift

Anyone had experience with lift and shift in Australia.

We have a couple of cruises and just getting prepared if they don’t happen.

Lift and shift has to be done by 1 August ,so there’s 2 months to think about it.

I'm in Australia but booked Alaskan cruise on Celebrity with US online travel agency (TA) in January this year to have sailed on May 29, 2020. 

This morning made contact with TA and have arranged for lift and shift of Celebrity cruise.  Same cruise itinerary didn't have to pay anything extra just shifted orginal booking and OBC over to date in June 2021.  All went very smoothly.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, Chiliburn said:

Lift and shift has to be done by 1 August ,so there’s 2 months to think about it.

I don't think you'll find too many here who can use Lift and Shift because the Australian Itineraries are only out until April 2021.  If they ever release 2021-22 Ozdeployment, there may be more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, banzaii said:

I don't think you'll find too many here who can use Lift and Shift because the Australian Itineraries are only out until April 2021.  If they ever release 2021-22 Ozdeployment, there may be more.

I was thinking that.

Our 21-22 season is overdue, I suppose they are wondering if the will still be in business.

Hopefully they release the season buy 1 August or extend the date.

Edited by Chiliburn

While sime other companies have released new itineraries and even whole seasons, RCCL seems reluctant to do so.

This cuts Oz itineraries from a 18-24 month booking window to something very different.  Shame this forces cancellations and refunds rather than other options that allow them to hold onto our deposits to help with bottom line.

With a final balance looming way too close to the proposed date for ports to open I decided to take advantage of Royals “ Cruise with Confidence” offer to convert our  booking deposit into a cruise credit, fingers crossed the latter 2021 itineraries aren’t too far away 🙂

8 minutes ago, badgerbill said:

With a final balance looming way too close to the proposed date for ports to open I decided to take advantage of Royals “ Cruise with Confidence” offer to convert our  booking deposit into a cruise credit, fingers crossed the latter 2021 itineraries aren’t too far away 🙂

Have you seen the announcement that Australia has banned cruising until 17 September?  Don't  know if your cruise was local but that alone virtually rules out the schedulled Trans-Pacific relocation cruises as is.  So I don't blame you for cancelling.

My feelings are along similar lines but if 2021 cruises don't appear prior to final payment date, I am requesting a refund as we have no real access to more attractive options - no lift shift, no delayed final payment, no 125% FCC - so why would I leave my $8K with RCCL?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, Chiliburn said:

We had B2B cruises out of Venice on Royal Caribbean scheduled for September this year. With the final balance almost due and uncertainty regarding a September departure we did a Lift and Shift to September 2021. The non refundable deposit transferred over to an almost identical itinerary and now the balance is not due till June 2021. Also we have our 2020 prices guaranteed. If you are prepared to postpone for 12 months the Lift and Shift option works well to avoid paying the final balance on a cruise you suspect will be cancelled.

3 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

We had B2B cruises out of Venice on Royal Caribbean scheduled for September this year. With the final balance almost due and uncertainty regarding a September departure we did a Lift and Shift to September 2021. The non refundable deposit transferred over to an almost identical itinerary and now the balance is not due till June 2021. Also we have our 2020 prices guaranteed. If you are prepared to postpone for 12 months the Lift and Shift option works well to avoid paying the final balance on a cruise you suspect will be cancelled.

Thanks NeilonBoard 

Im thinking if this season doesn’t go ahead we will lift &shift.

We have full suites and we can transfer to ovation or quantum for next year.

where were you going to stay in Venice? As which hotel?

Edited by Chiliburn

23 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Thanks NeilonBoard 

Im thinking if this season doesn’t go ahead we will lift &shift.

We have full suites and we can transfer to ovation or quantum for next year.

where were you going to stay in Venice? As which hotel?

I am sure you are already aware that you must keep the same cabin category to Lift and Shift. As you have pointed out you can change ships but you must leave from the same departure port and travel for the same number of nights in the same location.

Unfortunately not  everyone has been able to match their cruise 12 months later and the Lift and Shift option does not work for them. Others that have used L&S have found that by freezing their 2020 prices there are considerable savings to be made on the advertised 2021 rates.

We booked one night in Venice prior to departure at the Agli Artisti Hotel. Don't know much about it but it's reasonably priced and close to the cruise departure terminal.

There seems to be a few discrepancies with the lift&shift .

Apparently it’s for schedules released before May 6 and even that it’s advertised

you can’t shift to a bigger ship.( radiance or voyager to quantum class)

Has anyone tested this?

I also like to add it has to be done by August 1. So you have 7 weeks.

That Ozzie agent has the new season.

Edited by Chiliburn

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Didn’t you ever drive a column change uncle les ? Same thing

Of course, with a crash gear box, no syncromesh.  When I was in the Army Reserve, circa 1969, we had left over US Army Studebaker trucks from WW2, crash gear box.  My first car was, don't laugh..a 64 Hillman Imp, 4 speed manual.  Now I am lazy and drive an auto, like most people. I had a dark green one of these..

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Of course, with a crash gear box, no syncromesh.  When I was in the Army Reserve, circa 1969, we had left over US Army Studebaker trucks from WW2, crash gear box.  My first car was, don't laugh..a 64 Hillman Imp, 4 speed manual.  Now I am lazy and drive an auto, like most people. I had a dark green one of these..

th.jpg

My first car was a 1966 Austin 1100. Manual of course. I still drive a manual but now wish I had bought an automatic as my left shoulder doesn't like the shift gears any more. When I bought my Mitsubishi Mirage, the salesman was amazed that I wanted a manual! Most older ladies want an automatic he told me.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I drive a manual, yet I don't understand "lift and shift".  Please explain.

I don’t know where it comes from but it’s RCG’s term for lifting your booking and shifting one year forward.

Just like lifting the column change and moving up a gear. LOL 

25 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Can’t find one for my December cruise to lift and shift to.

Unfortunately we don’t have a cruise to move to ,our final payment date is in about 4 weeks.I won’t be paying it but my friends want to.They are blindly hopeful of going,they just want to go.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Unfortunately we don’t have a cruise to move to ,our final payment date is in about 4 weeks.I won’t be paying it but my friends want to.They are blindly hopeful of going,they just want to go.

Now is the time for common sense.  I wouldn't be paying any more money to cruise lines until cruise ships are tied up to the wharf in Australia!