RCI lift and shift

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I learnt to drive in Dad's Ford Zephyr.

The first car I owned was a Triumph Herald. I couldn't afford a Triumph Spitfire.

After saving some $$$, I got my sports car. A Datsun 2000. Now that was fun. It was a sad day when I sold it before going overseas.

Hollywood Picture Cars: Register your vehicle!

That would be worth a few Bob today By the bay.

My first brand new car was like this 1979 Capri RS with a 5 liter V8 and 4 speed standard transmission (Syncromesh in all 4 gears Uncle Les)Capri.jpg.0465faef6f8821a34ac213839be96e63.jpg It was very fast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingaussies said:

Our experience is with Celebrity but rules for the Lift & Shift are the same as RCCL as far as I’m aware. 

We're booked on December 2020 Solstice out of Sydney to New Zealand.   Just can't see that happening now.

We requested a lift & shift to the exact same sailing, same number of nights, same itinerary, departing on November 24 2021.  It has been refused because it's two days out of the four week window, ie we could only change to a cruise departing on or four weeks after November 26.  There are no other cruises that we could L & S to.

So beware anyone making a new booking (if anyone is at this point in time!).  If you're thinking you'll be able to L & S, check first to be sure there's a cruise that meets the criteria before you book.

We had Solstice booked for 4-Apr-21 and sought to lift&shift to 2022. I already saw there was a similar cruise available, about a week earlier in '22. When we clicked the link it brought up 2 possible cruises for us to select. One was the one that worked for us, so we proceeded. Still awaiting the updated documents, but we can see from the website that our booking has been changes to the new cruise & we have a similar cabin allocated. So good so far.

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We wanted to "Lift and shift" our Celebrity cruise but alas the 2 options for that were one ways going the wrong way. The terms are pretty rigid and although they work for many, some (like us) fall through the cracks. The only published one way, going the right direction is longer and will cost more. We are just trying to find the details to see if we can afford it, and get the cabin we want.🤔

Interesting!  Did you book directly with X or with a TA?  Our TA just said no, but maybe I’ll ask him to see if there’s a longer cruise where we can pay the difference. 

3 minutes ago, mr walker said:

We had Solstice booked for 4-Apr-21 and sought to lift&shift to 2022. I already saw there was a similar cruise available, about a week earlier in '22. When we clicked the link it brought up 2 possible cruises for us to select. One was the one that worked for us, so we proceeded. Still awaiting the updated documents, but we can see from the website that our booking has been changes to the new cruise & we have a similar cabin allocated. So good so far.

Glad it worked for you!

• Like 1

So after the Hillman Imp, in about 1969 I had a 63 Falcon Squire Wagon, 3 speed auto with the 170 cu in pursuit motor, pushbutton AM radio, the whole business, couple of ashtrays, ciggie lighter, you know the gear of the day. Alas, woodworm got into the trim and I had to ditch it.  Sorry for the thread hijack, I will desist on this one.

1963-ford-falcon-xl-squire.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, cruisingaussies said:

Interesting!  Did you book directly with X or with a TA?  Our TA just said no, but maybe I’ll ask him to see if there’s a longer cruise where we can pay the difference. 

We booked the original through future cruises while aboard Eclipse, she was supposed to be pretty fresh out of the "revolution". Of course that was postponed back in October. We shifted it to our TA when we got home. Our original cruise (which we haven't cancelled yet) is a 10 day from Auckland to Melbourne. Well there are 2 cruises we could lift and shift to, both are one way Sydney to Auckland. There is a 14 day Auckland to Sydney sailing 14 or 15 Jan 2022 that of course doesn't qualify to lift and shift😕. So far only Eclipse is doing Oz in 2022 for Celebrity and is home porting in Sydney looks like Solstice will be elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We booked the original through future cruises while aboard Eclipse, she was supposed to be pretty fresh out of the "revolution". Of course that was postponed back in October. We shifted it to our TA when we got home. Our original cruise (which we haven't cancelled yet) is a 10 day from Auckland to Melbourne. Well there are 2 cruises we could lift and shift to, both are one way Sydney to Auckland. There is a 14 day Auckland to Sydney sailing 14 or 15 Jan 2022 that of course doesn't qualify to lift and shift😕. So far only Eclipse is doing Oz in 2022 for Celebrity and is home porting in Sydney looks like Solstice will be elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. I hope it all works out. 2022 seems such a looong way off. 🙁

3 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Thanks for the info. I hope it all works out. 2022 seems such a looong way off. 🙁

January 2021 seemed a long way away when we booked the cruise in Jun 2019, now we are looking at January 2022🥺

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

That would be worth a few Bob today By the bay.

My first brand new car was like this 1979 Capri RS with a 5 liter V8 and 4 speed standard transmission (Syncromesh in all 4 gears Uncle Les)Capri.jpg.0465faef6f8821a34ac213839be96e63.jpg It was very fast

That is a lot of power for a compact car. It would have been fun to drive.

3 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Our experience is with Celebrity but rules for the Lift & Shift are the same as RCCL as far as I’m aware. 

We're booked on December 2020 Solstice out of Sydney to New Zealand.   Just can't see that happening now.

We requested a lift & shift to the exact same sailing, same number of nights, same itinerary, departing on November 24 2021.  It has been refused because it's two days out of the four week window, ie we could only change to a cruise departing on or four weeks after November 26.  There are no other cruises that we could L & S to.

So beware anyone making a new booking (if anyone is at this point in time!).  If you're thinking you'll be able to L & S, check first to be sure there's a cruise that meets the criteria before you book.

Lift and Shift was introduced by RCCL a couple of months ago and it's cut off date has been extended.The terms and conditions are well defined and there is nothing American about it. Doesn't matter if you cancel early or RCCL cancel later. I have already suggested in a previous post that not everyone will be eligible if they can't get an almost perfect match for their cruise in 12 months time. The alternative is to either wait forever for a full refund or get the FCC and plan another cruise at a convenient time but then you are at the mercy of rising prices. The main advantage of L&S is avoiding paying the final balance when it is due which seems to be everyone's concern at the moment. I just moved my deposit to the same cruise in 12 months time frozen at 2020 prices and all the balance money stays in my pocket for another year.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

So after the Hillman Imp, in about 1969 I had a 63 Falcon Squire Wagon, 3 speed auto with the 170 cu in pursuit motor, pushbutton AM radio, the whole business, couple of ashtrays, ciggie lighter, you know the gear of the day. Alas, woodworm got into the trim and I had to ditch it.  Sorry for the thread hijack, I will desist on this one.

1963-ford-falcon-xl-squire.jpg

Now that’s a car ,XL or XP ?

52 minutes ago, NeilonBoard said:

Lift and Shift was introduced by RCCL a couple of months ago and it's cut off date has been extended.The terms and conditions are well defined and there is nothing American about it. Doesn't matter if you cancel early or RCCL cancel later. I have already suggested in a previous post that not everyone will be eligible if they can't get an almost perfect match for their cruise in 12 months time. The alternative is to either wait forever for a full refund or get the FCC and plan another cruise at a convenient time but then you are at the mercy of rising prices. The main advantage of L&S is avoiding paying the final balance when it is due which seems to be everyone's concern at the moment. I just moved my deposit to the same cruise in 12 months time frozen at 2020 prices and all the balance money stays in my pocket for another year.

It has to be a perfect match not almost perfect. We were denied the L & S because it was two days outside the four week time frame. There’s no way we’re paying the final balance and X will probably end up getting less money from us. We’re booked in a suite for 10 days. If the new prices are ridiculous we’ll use our FCC (ie our deposit) towards a 7 night cruise in a balcony. We’re fine with that. Not sure what you mean by saying there is nothing American about it.  As far as I can see, the conditions apply equally to the world wide market.

Edited by cruisingaussies

29 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

It has to be a perfect match not almost perfect. We were denied the L & S because it was two days outside the four week time frame. There’s no way we’re paying the final balance and X will probably end up getting less money from us. We’re booked in a suite for 10 days. If the new prices are ridiculous we’ll use our FCC (ie our deposit) towards a 7 night cruise in a balcony. We’re fine with that. Not sure what you mean by saying there is nothing American about it.  As far as I can see, the conditions apply equally to the world wide market.

I meant almost perfect because MINOR changes are allowed. You can have minor itinerary and port changes and even jump ship if they are the same class. Unfortunately for you they won't budge outside of the four week either side window nor will they entertain changes to the number of nights or cabin class even if you are prepared to pay the difference.

The American reference did not come from you or me but from previous posts that had never heard of Lift and Shift and assumed it must have been American. Naturally the policy applies worldwide. Hope you find something that suits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Now that’s a car ,XL or XP ?

63 model from memory, perhaps XP, i had the white wall tyres too and red upholstery, chick magnet, lol.

Edited by NSWP

12 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Isn't it good that you can "Cruise with confidence. TM"

On 8/10/2020 at 12:43 PM, cruisingaussies said:

Have you tried the online L&S form.  Others that have been told "no" by RCI and/or TA have had success.  It seems the form has more options available and you can go right up to 'confirm' without committing to anything.

8 hours ago, banzaii said:

Have you tried the online L&S form.  Others that have been told "no" by RCI and/or TA have had success.  It seems the form has more options available and you can go right up to 'confirm' without committing to anything.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion, have tried that but still get a message saying the booking is ineligible for a l & s. 

9 minutes ago, cruisingaussies said:

Yes, thanks for the suggestion, have tried that but still get a message saying the booking is ineligible for a l & s. 

Have you tried email to Miami.

I tried and tried to link my sister to my crown and anchor account as she was living with us.

A couple of LA’s onboard wouldn’t do it and sydney refused multiple times.

So I emailed Molly in Miami and my sister went from emerald to diamond plus.

I miss Molly and her next cruise station.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:22 PM, NeilonBoard said:

I meant almost perfect because MINOR changes are allowed. You can have minor itinerary and port changes and even jump ship if they are the same class. Unfortunately for you they won't budge outside of the four week either side window nor will they entertain changes to the number of nights or cabin class even if you are prepared to pay the difference.

The American reference did not come from you or me but from previous posts that had never heard of Lift and Shift and assumed it must have been American. Naturally the policy applies worldwide. Hope you find something that suits.

I said the expression "lift and shift" must have been American, because I had never heard it used in Australia.  I wasn't talking about the policy for lift and shift which is world wide. 

7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

The expression originated and is used in the IT industry, including Australia.

Not sure why RCL would pick it up there (since they aren't an IT driven company), but there you go...

Why did the Yanks butcher the Queens English again?  Why not Transfer Booking?

Edited by NSWP

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Why did the Yanks butcher the Queens English again?  Why not Transfer Booking?

Give it a name and people think it's some special facility they've put in place for you (and they have, in a way). People feel the company has put more effort in to it.