Tipping

I'll probably tip the same.  Maybe a little more if my server is wearing a mask. Probably a lot more if my server helps me putting my mask on and taking it off. 😉

I miss the mask threads*

* - just kidding.

• Haha 3

I will tip as I normally do Start with pre paid, the give extra to waiter, ass't waiter, and cabin steward at the end of the cruise if their service was good. i also tip $1.00 per drink , whether the bartender or the server. To me, this is the norm, and I see no reason to change.

• Like 3

Haven't thought about it but I will.

I hate the auto-grats (bev package). With a passion.  I don't tip enough while onboard. 

However, I have never removed the per diem fees even when cruising with a two year old (they should be paying me to clean up after him).

In seriousness, if the cruise lines were transparent with where these auto-grats and stateroom fees go, people would adjust their behavior and wallets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Unfortunately I do not. I have no idea when I will get a job. I have had phone interviews the last 3 months and have 2 actual in person interviews coming up.  One job requires six months training out of state. I can't make any plans until I get a job and find out how long it will take to accrue vacation time.  I was at my last company for 24 years and it's going to be hard to accept 2 weeks of vacation time.   I will be 60 in December and by the time I accrue more time I will be ready to retire. 

Best of luck to you moving forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I plan on tipping the same as I have been since 1990.  I prepay my tips now, instead of the cash envelope in the old days.  The 18% is standard and customary on drinks, and other services.  I tip the same as if I wasn't on vacation.  Just the customary amount.  Threads like this are basically bragging threads.  But I do feel the majority of people tip, the customary amounts and just don't say anything.

• Like 4

I will tipp as usual.. maybe 10% more often than 5 and I will more often round up the tips but nothing special about it in general. But I understand your point of view, but we, the passangers also have lost money and its not like we have to lose even more just by tipping other people more than usual. But if there is another opinion, I will respect it fully. Its your money and you decide how to spend it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

But if there is another opinion, I will respect it fully. Its your money and you decide how to spend it 

Another person who needs practice on tipping theads. So many people have forgotten how this works.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I wonder if they will allow cash tipping during the week, once they restart. It seems like a good way to spread germs. Cash in an envelope at the end is different.

lol

14 minutes ago, ToroAzul said:

lol

I mention because some businesses here will state 'prefer cc to cash' to avoid unnecessary contact. I am in NJ and realize that people in Texas, etc have different perspectives. My UPS driver will not make me sign for signature required packages so I do not have to come near him or touch his pen. One takeout place tells you to 'bring your own pen' to sign the cc slip. So that's what I am used to. I wonder if it is like that in other states.

Edited by marci22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Another person who needs practice on tipping theads. So many people have forgotten how this works.

It appears the lockdown has made people soft.

I miss Thor. He had the rare ability to make me laugh while being judgemental  

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, marci22 said:

I mention because some businesses here will state 'prefer cc to cash' to avoid unnecessary contact. I am in NJ and realize that people in Texas, etc have different perspectives. My UPS driver will not make me sign for signature required packages so I do not have to come near him or touch his pen. One takeout place tells you to 'bring your own pen' to sign the cc slip. So that's what I am used to. I wonder if it is like that in other states.

I laugh because you are still touching the envelope.

It's like wearing gloves and not changing them. 

I also can't imagine a room steward saying a tip is not allowed.

Edited by ToroAzul

32 minutes ago, ToroAzul said:

I laugh because you are still touching the envelope.

It's like wearing gloves and not changing them. 

I also can't imagine a room steward saying a tip is not allowed.

I said cash in envelope 'at the end'. Meaning you are getting off the ship.

1 hour ago, marci22 said:

it isnt like tyat in tenneesse

1 hour ago, jndsilver31 said:

it isnt like tyat in tenneesse

Thanks, jndsilver31.

Yes, so I can understand others thinking my suggestion would be outrageous. But also, my husband is a doctor, and interacts directly with covid patients, so I realize I may have a more conservative view. He sees what it is like when patients are getting intubated (we know what those odds are) and so I tend to think about any interaction that could increase someone's chance of getting sick. Maybe we will get lucky and it will just go away ⛱️

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I plan on tipping the same as I have been since 1990.  I prepay my tips now, instead of the cash envelope in the old days.  The 18% is standard and customary on drinks, and other services.  I tip the same as if I wasn't on vacation.  Just the customary amount.  Threads like this are basically bragging threads.  But I do feel the majority of people tip, the customary amounts and just don't say anything.

The point of this thread isn't to brag.  The point of this thread to talk about cruising. Despite @HBE4's dirty attempt 🤪to derail my beautiful and perfect thread about tipping.  If I want to brag I promise you it won't be because I dropped a dollar to two on a bartender. I think you are right, the majority of people tip the customary amounts.  They don't say anything because the majority don't post on Cruise Critic. My question in the original post was what peoples expectations of their own behavior were once cruising resumes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Gosh I guess I'm really disappointing my cabin steward.

Not at all, I'm sure that your cabin steward is appreciative of whatever you give.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like some opinion on tipping the Diamond Lounge staff. Do not like the idea of cash tipping per drink.  The drinks are complimentary and therefore no 18%. They work hard. They probably get a higher percentage of the crew service gratuities. 

17 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

I went in 96 as you can tell.  Never thought I would cruise, but then found out all the things I could do on the ship and not go to Captains mast for it.

we started cruising in 2012. i was sure i would love it, the sailor in me, wasnt sure about my wife. but we both fell in love with cruising. my wife tells me i love because i still like being on a ship. she says, “you can take the sailor out of the navy, but you cant take the navy out of the sailor”. i think she is right.

37 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The point of this thread isn't to brag.  The point of this thread to talk about cruising. Despite @HBE4's dirty attempt 🤪to derail my beautiful and perfect thread about tipping.  If I want to brag I promise you it won't be because I dropped a dollar to two on a bartender. I think you are right, the majority of people tip the customary amounts.  They don't say anything because the majority don't post on Cruise Critic. My question in the original post was what peoples expectations of their own behavior were once cruising resumes.

you are so right. we tip the amounts we fo because they ships crew works so hard to make our cruise vacation the best. they work  a lot harder then i do.