Canada extends ban until Oct 31

MCC retired

OTTAWA (REUTERS) - Canada is extending a ban on large cruise ships to Oct. 31 to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, Transport Minister Marc Garneau said on Friday.

There goes the 2020 Canada/New England Season.

Figured the Season would not take place with the possible Virus - Flu Season coming together eventually down the line.

Glad and Praying and looking forward to our NE/CAN Sailing next year in June 2021 during the 4th of July Celebration holiday.

I respect the Canadian Authorities to protect their countrymen and women from Emergency Health Crisis.

Looking forward to Sailing into Halifax Harbor

DSCN0551.JPG

Edited by BklynBoy8

11 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

If you are rebooking Canada/New England for 2021 , be advised :

The short July 4th sailing r/t from NYC is even  shorter , 6 nights and there is only one NYC-Quebec r/t in the Fall .

MCC

Hi and we are aware. We have done plenty of the 7 days 3 Ports 4th's in the past. Till time become more available, we are happy with this. More time at sea with this sailing with one port dropped.

This is a replacement for this years cancelled...

There's always the  future to book.....

Edited by BklynBoy8

On 5/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Figured the Season would not take place with the possible Virus - Flu Season coming together eventually down the line.

Glad and Praying and looking forward to our NE/CAN Sailing next year in June 2021 during the 4th of July Celebration holiday.

I respect the Canadian Authorities to protect their countrymen and women from Emergency Health Crisis.

Looking forward to Sailing into Halifax Harbor

DSCN0551.JPG

So glad we squeezed in 6 months ago...

252514612_Pier20Waterfrontonarrival.jpg.a8a7a38f73bd0598b57d6688c85b36b5.jpg

...and were able to admire the man to whom we are all so grateful...

428439972_SirSamualCunardStatue1.jpg.b120881c261144aaab9dbcc778e6ec50.jpg

301440120_SirSamualCunardStatue3.jpg.149bde152ff350f233bfcf0f7f1eb584.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 1

Very disillusioned with Cunard.

Our final payment due 6 June for Canada/New England.

It won't happen, Canada won't allow it, but if we don't pay we are deemed to have cancelled and lose our money paid so far.

Other lines have cancelled their Canada cruises, why not Cunard?

Why can't they do the decent thing and cancel with all that entails?

I looked, but didn't find a corresponding extension for U.S. departures. Has anyone seen anything I missed? Or are they still riding out the April 10th CDC 100-day ban? Wondering about TAs out of New York...haven't seen updates in a while.

Cunard's US website has not caught up with Canada's cruise ship ban.  One can still book September and October 2020 Canada sailings - which will not be happening.

Macsford, I wouldn't make final payment.  While the UK has non-refundable deposits there surely must be some recourse for you in this situation.  Cunard's being unable to fulfill its part of the voyage occurs before your final payment date.  There was a case heard by your country's Lord Denning when a cruise line not only drastically changed an itinerary it also substituted a much smaller ship!  In a nutshell, he said that those changes altered the very substance of the contract.  The plaintiff was awarded damages. 

Edited by BlueRiband

Thank you for that, Blue Riband.

Looks like it's going to be an anxious few days for us to make a decision.

Looks like they are dictating their rules to their advantage and I am so disappointed in what I believed to be a more customer orientated business than this . After all, a happy customer is a repeat customer who will also recommend therefore it is good business practice. 

You were on the voyage that was to sail from Southampton on September 4th and then up to Canada after arrival in New York?  In another thread a member said she was on the phone with a Cunard supervisor who believes that another pause will be announced.... wait for it.... on June 8th.  If true that's horrible treatment of everyone who has a payment due on the 6th.  Customer doesn't pay and the deposit is lost.  Customer pays for a cruise that is nowhere near what was advertised then they are waiting months for a refund.   Horrible business practice that will turn passengers into first and last time customers. 

I was the person who posted on the other thread.  The announcement of a new pause may come June 8 - June 10.  I just can't see the QM2 re-starting until after the New England/Canada season is over.  But, it is still speculation before they actually announce a new pause.

I do have a suggestion for you. In the USA, we were able to delay final payment until 60 days prior to sailing.  This policy is posted on the USA website. So, we haven't gone hard yet on an August 21 TA and are holding our reservation with Future Cruise Deposits which can be returned, even if we cancel, to our "holding account" for future use.  You may be able to delay final payment.  Best to check with Cunard and/or your travel agent.

One more thing...although our deposit was considered nonrefundable when we booked, Cunard told me that they will put our FCDs back into our account.  I don't know if the policy is different for UK travelers. Don't assume that you will lose your deposit if you cancel prior to final payment. Best to check with Cunard and/or your travel agent.

Edited by Desert Cruisers

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

The Canada/NE  cruises this Sept/Oct are still bookable at this moment , with a 60 Day out Final Payment date . 
Cunard needs to announce something soon ?

Yes, almost a week since Canada announced the cruise ship ban until at least Oct. 31st and the voyages are still not removed from Cunard's US site.   I don't know if the UK has an extended payment due dates as they have in the US.  The fare rules are quite different.

On 6/3/2020 at 2:09 PM, macsford said:

Very disillusioned with Cunard.

Our final payment due 6 June for Canada/New England.

It won't happen, Canada won't allow it, but if we don't pay we are deemed to have cancelled and lose our money paid so far.

Other lines have cancelled their Canada cruises, why not Cunard?

Why can't they do the decent thing and cancel with all that entails?

What did you decide to do about your final payment?  Has Cunard offered you a future cruise credit or refund? 

Hi BlueRiband

We telephoned Cunard and were able to get agreement to protect our money paid so far as it was obvious that the announcement would have to come very soon. Which we now know it did, even though it was after our final date.Unfortunately a call to them several days earlier would not give that agreement and caused a lot of anxiety.

We have now received the email and , as promised, have the option of money back or 125% FCC.  We are considering those options . So ended well (eventually). 

Thank you for your encouragement, BlueRiband.  

Sandra

Canada implied some of the most strict rules I know. I even doubt that cruise industry is a big of a deal for them in general. Otherwise they would follow some EU example or the US. I dont know any canadian cruise companies, I think american compnaies are the ones concerned. Moreover, I dont see a problem for them to travel to the US and cruise from there