Grand Turk port closure extended

young_ens

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

For people who just want to get off of the ship and be on a beach I can see the appeal. There doesn’t seem to be much else other than that though.

The beach at the port is overwhelming. You have to walk way down the beach find a less crowded spot.  If there are more than one ship in port, you can forget it.  We're not much on the loud and crowded pool.  

sorry, to us it is a boring, overcrowded beach and Margaritaville is a zoo.

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

For people who just want to get off of the ship and be on a beach I can see the appeal. There doesn’t seem to be much else other than that though.

True, but if you dive, the wall is epic. The island is boring

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

The beach at the port is overwhelming. You have to walk way down the beach find a less crowded spot.  If there are more than one ship in port, you can forget it.  We're not much on the loud and crowded pool.  

If you go to the beach to THE RIGHT of the pier, there's NO CROWDS. 

22 minutes ago, coevan said:

sorry, to us it is a boring, overcrowded beach and Margaritaville is a zoo.

True, but if you dive, the wall is epic. The island is boring

Lighthouse area was cool to see once. Not something I see myself going back to every time. I had success going to the beach once it started raining. The place cleared out. I had it almost all to myself.

On 5/31/2020 at 3:47 PM, MeganGC1983 said:

I wouldn’t hold my breath! 😞 Sorry!

True.  I wouldn't hold my breath for any Carnival cruises to happen in August.  At this point, I'm not really optimistic about our September cruise (which also goes to Grand Turk.)  We are considering canceling before the final payment due date and taking the deposit as FCC.

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

It is very beach focused, with not much else to do.

14 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I wish I knew what everyone was talking about... rocky beach, crowded pool, lame island, lighthouse... we missed it all because GT authorities wouldn’t let us on the island. 😐 Thanks Covid! 
#StillBitter

I got you.

https://saintgregtravel.com/christmas-magic-grand-turk/

• Haha 1

Just now, Saint Greg said:

😞 close but not the same. I was gonna go to Jack’s Shack and ride a golf cart to the donkeys and the light house and snorkel governor’s beach. I had it all planned out. 😑 

Instead I got to use my 15 drinks and hear quarantine rumors. #Robbed 

14 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

😞 close but not the same. I was gonna go to Jack’s Shack and ride a golf cart to the donkeys and the light house and snorkel governor’s beach. I had it all planned out. 😑 

The golf carts should be outlawed on the road. They’re too slow. I think a good retirement plan would be to move to Grand Turk, purchase 20 faster golf carts, and rent them out for $100/day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

The golf carts should be outlawed on the road. They’re too slow. I think a good retirement plan would be to move to Grand Turk, purchase 20 faster golf carts, and rent them out for $100/day.

I’m in! We shall retire together! 😂😉

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

for a first time visit, you would have had a great time. After 3+ visits, you learn what works for you. We are not hanging around the pool with blasting music Margaritaville people. As I said love the snorkeling and diving. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, morganboys said:

It sure would suck to book a cruise and it end up being a LONG cruise to nowhere since islands are closed.  This could be the reason more cruises for 2020 will eventually get canceled.  

It wouldn't be my favorite thing in the world, but it would still be a floating vacation in a warm place with clear skys, blue water, and fruity drinks.

I would still enjoy it.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, morganboys said:

It sure would suck to book a cruise and it end up being a LONG cruise to nowhere since islands are closed.  This could be the reason more cruises for 2020 will eventually get canceled.  

They'd have to get a waiver of the Passenger Vessel Services Act for that to even be an option.

On 5/31/2020 at 5:09 PM, Saint Greg said:

It wouldn’t actually bother me if Grand Turk and HMC got canceled. I’m going back to both a couple times next year. The ones that will hurt are Aruba and Bonaire. New ports for me and the reason I’m flying to Florida for a cruise instead of just driving to Galveston.

But if Grand Turk does happen...I may need to change my policy of not trying to be the first person off of the ship. To be the first cruiser in Grand Turk in months...this could be my Neil Armstrong moment.

One step for man, another step for mankind......

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:57 AM, jerseyjjs said:

This announcement along with the announcement of the Canadian port closures makes me believe that Carnival knew this would be the situation back when they cancelled all sailings out of NYC back in April.  Wonder what else they "know".

Well imagine your running one of these small Caribbean Islands, and see how America is exploding in virus infections, (Florida just posted its highest 5 day total of infections yet) and you're asked to allow a ship with 4-6000 of these people to visit your island for a day, what would you say?

We can use the money, but, we can't afford what you might leave behind!

On 5/31/2020 at 6:35 PM, coevan said:

I agree as no one lives there so the risk of infection is contained to the cruise ship and crew. I do believe there are people who commute by boat for excursions and such, but still pretty safe

Many of the people who work on the private islands are locals, so they'd take any infections back home!

BTW Florida where Carnival announced many of their initial cruises will leave from,  just had their record 5th straight day of over 1000 infections so the heat isn't ending the virus as hoped for!

On 6/5/2020 at 9:40 AM, morganboys said:

Personally I would jump on a cruise ship right now even it if went to no where. For us, most of our cruises are about the ship as the destination than the islands, especially since we've been to most of them more than once! We enjoy what a ship has to offer more than what many islands can offer.

I'll also add that we LOVE Grand Turk and think it's one of our favorite islands to visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsKC08 said:

Personally I would jump on a cruise ship right now even it if went to no where. For us, most of our cruises are about the ship as the destination than the islands, especially since we've been to most of them more than once! We enjoy what a ship has to offer more than what many islands can offer.

I'll also add that we LOVE Grand Turk and think it's one of our favorite islands to visit.

I'm with you we have been to just about every island numerous times. Going to pull the trigger on an August cruise, if we can't port will make the best of it. We had an 8 day on horizon with only 2 ports. It was the most relaxing cruise ever. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coevan said:

with all the protest and lack of social distancing, in 2-3 weeks we could see a very bad spike nationwide. 

That very well could be. I'm thinking the same. I hope we are both wrong....but I'm bracing myself for that eventuality. 

1 hour ago, tap_out said:

I'm with you we have been to just about every island numerous times. Going to pull the trigger on an August cruise, if we can't port will make the best of it. We had an 8 day on horizon with only 2 ports. It was the most relaxing cruise ever. 

What in the world did I you do for the other 6 days without port stops?