Do Kids Retain Parents' Status Once 18?

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

So just so I understand all this. My wife and I are gold with 14 points. Our next cruise will be with our 21 year old son who has never cruised. So will he have to start from scratch as far as points or can he start with our 14 points?

Scratch. He is over 18. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So just so I understand all this. My wife and I are gold with 14 points. Our next cruise will be with our 21 year old son who has never cruised. So will he have to start from scratch as far as points or can he start with our 14 points?

He's over 18.  he will start from 0 and he wont be entitled to share your status

Edited by Ourusualbeach

16 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Whether it’s D or D+ her last cruise with parents just is not right. She should go back to square one when she actually cruised. That is why there’s so many D’s & D+.  RCL needs to weed these out & maybe just maybe there will be room in the Lounges for people who actually earned it. 

You are really hung up on this. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, davekathy said:

Hope your sitting down, because it gets even better(:classic_rolleyes:). If someone is living with (not married) to a higher tier level person they also become the higher tier level (not cruise points) and retain that tier level even if they stop shacking up with each other. 

Conflicting reports on that one

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m not sure it’s that big of an issue. Maybe it is. Don’t really know?  Never noticed but we seldom seek out the Diamond Lounge. 

My boys are both low 30's. These might be the type of interloper LP is complaining about.

If Royal had been our line of choice before they were 18, they would probably both be Diamond now.  Up until the two TA's Pat took with us, he had higher status on HAL. 🤣🤣

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

As your son is already 21 yo he will start from 0.

steamboats

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Good explanation.  The example of your daughter and her crystal block opens a question that I've not seen regarding this topic.  Using your terminology (which I like), let's say your DD has 142 earned points and 28 inherited points for a total of 170 points and is D right before her 18th birthday.  Right after her 18th birthday, she takes a 7 day cruise.  She still has the inherited points and crosses the 175 point mark, and becomes D+.  Some time later, the inherited points drop off and she goes back to her now 149 earned points.  Does she keep the D+ status?  

My guess is that a child will keep the actual status as of the day when her inherited points are removed rather than on her actual birthday.  This would seem to be easier for the Royal IT Department to figure out.

I guess this example we have to leave up to the "wisdom" of Royal IT....

As for the crystal block... I don´t think the Loyality Ambassador can see which points are earned and how many are inherited. The LA only saw 133 points... so by the end of the 7 nights she had reached the 140. So she got the block. Good thing for her... she will get another one when reaching the 140 again 😂!

steamboats

This topic has made me wonder, so I went and checked my husband's and daughter's C&A statuses.

I had cruised pre-marriage with friends.  Then my husband and I took a cruise for our honeymoon.  After that, we did many other kinds of trips, especially Disney/Universal/Disney cruises with our daughter.

When we switched back from Disney cruises to RCI, I was thrilled when I booked over the phone and was told that my husband and daughter would have the same level as I have.  It's not like we are very high ranking, but I am Platinum.  So, today when I logged on, I was surprised to find that my husband is Gold with his earned points only (none of my prior cruise points added to his), but my teenage daughter is Platinum and has the same number of points as I have.  Should they both have the same level as I have?  I could call them and ask, but I figured that I would ask the CC experts first and avoid a long customer service call if not necessary.

7 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

This topic has made me wonder, so I went and checked my husband's and daughter's C&A statuses.

I had cruised pre-marriage with friends.  Then my husband and I took a cruise for our honeymoon.  After that, we did many other kinds of trips, especially Disney/Universal/Disney cruises with our daughter.

When we switched back from Disney cruises to RCI, I was thrilled when I booked over the phone and was told that my husband and daughter would have the same level as I have.  It's not like we are very high ranking, but I am Platinum.  So, today when I logged on, I was surprised to find that my husband is Gold with his earned points only (none of my prior cruise points added to his), but my teenage daughter is Platinum and has the same number of points as I have.  Should they both have the same level as I have?  I could call them and ask, but I figured that I would ask the CC experts first and avoid a long customer service call if not necessary.

You daughter is linked but your husband is not, just call and they can link your husband. 

on the website they will show as the same status and number of points as long as you are linked. If you ever unlink they will retain that status and revert to their actual points which C&A keeps track of you just don’t see it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You daughter is linked but your husband is not, just call and they can link your husband. 

on the website they will show as the same status and number of points as long as you are linked. If you ever unlink they will retain that status and revert to their actual points which C&A keeps track of you just don’t see it. 

Thank you so much for your quick answer! I will have to call them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Were you D or D+ when she cruise with you.  They keep status of parents but only from the last actual sailing that they went on. 

That is probably a change.    We were Platinum when she sailed.  As we became Diamond and Diamond Plus she received new pins each time we did.   As I mentioned she was lowered to Diamond when she changed her address.  I believe she was actual 20 at the time but there was no automatic change.

I do recall that they made changes after that.

4 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

That is probably a change.    We were Platinum when she sailed.  As we became Diamond and Diamond Plus she received new pins each time we did.   As I mentioned she was lowered to Diamond when she changed her address.  I believe she was actual 20 at the time but there was no automatic change.

I do recall that they made changes after that.

Thanks, that shoots down my theory. 

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thanks, that shoots down my theory. 

But there were changes made after this happened with hers.

When I checked back in my records I saw that we became D in 2001 and D+ in 2007.  She was actually 20 when she became D+ but had not change her address with Royal.  The trigger was not her age but her address. (no longer part of the household)   I believe there were changes made to the program around 08 or 09.

32 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

But there were changes made after this happened with hers.

When I checked back in my records I saw that we became D in 2001 and D+ in 2007.  She was actually 20 when she became D+ but had not change her address with Royal.  The trigger was not her age but her address. (no longer part of the household)   I believe there were changes made to the program around 08 or 09.

That makes sense then.  She reverted back to the status that she would have had when she turned 18 based on your points at the time.  It takes Royal a while to catch up And usually something needs to be done to trigger the change, like an address change or booking a cruise.  Had she tried to sail with you at 20 even without doing the address change they most likely would have caught it then and moved her back to diamond At that point. 

As I understand it, there are no "inherited points."    Only inherited STATUS.

So if you are Diamond, you kids, under 18 are Diamond.  And will stay Diamond when they get over 18.  Their points do not matter.

But, their points will be what they earned by actually cruising.  So if they have only 3 points, but parents are Diamond, they are Diamond.  But, once they turn 18, if the parents become D+, the child is still only D, and will need to earn a LOT of points (172 more points) to become D+.

There were "inherited points" if the parents had 68 points, and the child had 68 "inherited" points, then if the child cruised with grandma and grandpa, they would be Diamond.  

29 minutes ago, SRF said:

So if you are Diamond, you kids, under 18 are Diamond.  And will stay Diamond when they get over 18.  Their points do not matter.

Correct

30 minutes ago, SRF said:

But, their points will be what they earned by actually cruising.  So if they have only 3 points, but parents are Diamond, they are Diamond.  But, once they turn 18, if the parents become D+, the child is still only D, and will need to earn a LOT of points (172 more points) to become D+.

correct

30 minutes ago, SRF said:

There were "inherited points" if the parents had 68 points, and the child had 68 "inherited" points, then if the child cruised with grandma and grandpa, they would be Diamond.  

Not sure what you mean by this one.  Diamond is 80 points and the kids status would not transfer to the grandparents as they are not in a relationship.

If you meant that if the kids were Diamond by virtue of their parents status and then they cruised without their parents and with someone else the kids would still sail as Diamond but not the grandparents

I have no problem with kids having the same status as their parents until 18(or whenever RCCL figures it out).  My daughter had my status match until she turned 18.  Now she is about 10 points away from Diamond on her own.  We have cruised together since she turned 18 and she earned her own points.  I cruised without her as well, so I am well past Diamond.  She is mostly annoyed that she can't go into the DL on our upcoming cruise!  But, based on the snobby attitude on here about the DL- she may be glad she isn't able to go in:)

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Like I said ....a smart marketing move that will trump any crowding issues in lounges any day of the week. 

Curious if the grandchildren are Diamond on the first cruise if the parents who earned their Diamond status through their own parents and what about the spouse of that child?

On 6/6/2020 at 8:13 PM, LorraineP said:

Whether it’s D or D+ her last cruise with parents just is not right. She should go back to square one when she actually cruised. That is why there’s so many D’s & D+.  RCL needs to weed these out & maybe just maybe there will be room in the Lounges for people who actually earned it. 

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Every time I read about a dry dock or amplification the Diamond lounge seems to suffers for it. Eventually it will become extinct and replaced by only coupons.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

As I understand it, there are no "inherited points."    Only inherited STATUS.

No, both partners and kids can "inherit" points. My DH was on a 13 night TA solo. I have those 26 points extra on my account. My DD had those points (and lost them). We once had a JS on a 7 night cruise -> 14 points while DD stayed in a balcony. She got those 7 extra points too (and lost them). She was with her granny in a cabin. And no, granny didn´t inherit her status (was her first cruise with RCI).

steamboats