Storage of suitcases - Eclipse concierge

NM2020

Hello all

First time cruiser here and booked on Alaska cruise next summer. We are in a concierge cabin and I need to know how easy (hard) it may be to stow away 3 regular size cases.

Thanks.

Nigel 

1 hour ago, NM2020 said:

Hello all

First time cruiser here and booked on Alaska cruise next summer. We are in a concierge cabin and I need to know how easy (hard) it may be to stow away 3 regular size cases.

Thanks.

Nigel 

Nigel,

You will have no problem as 3 cases will slide under the bed. I normally leave a few "flight" things in them to make a bit more space in the cabin

Alaska is a fantastic trip!!

1 hour ago, NM2020 said:

Hello all

Thanks.

Nigel 

They will store under the beds easily. 2 easy never had a third but guessing they will. I never found lack of storage in the rooms.  

If needed you can lift the bed frame to slide the case under the bed.  Have found that the frame extends lower than the actual space under the bed and is easily lifted slighty.  Three cases should be no problem....you have the whole space under the bed.

Thank you all for putting my mind at rest. We are going on a road trip around BC and AB after and with the need to pack layers for Alaska we elected to pay for an extra case on the flight but I then had an afterthought on us tripping over cases in our cabin. 

I don't suppose any of you can give me a feel for what exactly evening chic is for a guy? I always dreaded having to wear formal attire in the evening on a cruise and one of the reasons I am sailing with Celebrity is their approach to formal evenings. I have no problem with anyone who does by the way it is just not for me.

Would 'Polo' shirts and smart chinos pass muster?

Nigel

14 minutes ago, NM2020 said:

Thank you all for putting my mind at rest. We are going on a road trip around BC and AB after and with the need to pack layers for Alaska we elected to pay for an extra case on the flight but I then had an afterthought on us tripping over cases in our cabin. 

I don't suppose any of you can give me a feel for what exactly evening chic is for a guy? I always dreaded having to wear formal attire in the evening on a cruise and one of the reasons I am sailing with Celebrity is their approach to formal evenings. I have no problem with anyone who does by the way it is just not for me.

Nigel

Evening "chick" is whatever you want it to be, just no shorts.  😉 🍷

On a side note, I usually pack 2 large suitcases for a Caribbean cruise. I pack half my stuff and my husbands in one and the rest in the other. I do that just in case something happens to one of the bags... so we don't end up with losing all of one of our clothes. But once on board I unpack one of the suitcases completely and then keep all or most of the stuff in the other and pull it out several days into the trip. Now I am talking about longer cruises of 12 days or more.  It helps keep closet and drawers from being too crowded.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Evening "chick" is whatever you want it to be, just no shorts.  😉 🍷

Lots of storage.  No shorts.  You can probably pack at least on suitcase with things you will not need on your cruise.  FYI regular Veranda, Concierge and Aqua cabins are the same size.  What differs is services included.

Cruised once with two teenaged boys.  They were both able to "hide" under the bed!

You did not say what month you are traveling. Check the temperatures for your specific month in Alaska. You may not need the layers--just an occasional light jacket or sweater. It is pretty warm in Alaska most summers, and you should be able to get an accurate weather forecast as the time for your cruise approaches. For surprise cold weather, we always pack long underware that takes up little room in the cases. (I understand that long johns are not a fashion statement, but we have used them only once on a cruise--the end of May in Alaska.) We carry a tote bag and were able to take off that under layer in the afternoon and toss it in the tote bag. 

We went in late August and were glad to have parkas for the excursion inside tracy arm fjord.  If you are offered the excursion, take it...it's awesome.   Just outside out downtown Ketchikan you can walk right into the river on the rocks and be surrounded by salmon.  Totally cool.

5 hours ago, NM2020 said:

Nigel

You'll be pleasantly surprised about the "evening chic" standards on X/Eclipse.

It's not stiff or formal at all. You can definitely go in the combination as you described even though most guests usually wear a long sleeve shirt and quite a few wear a jacket.

We have always found the storage in these cabins to be barely adequate for two adults with a reasonable amount of stuff.  So you will definitely need to keep any extra items in your cases under the bed.  

5 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

We have always found the storage in these cabins to be barely adequate for two adults with a reasonable amount of stuff.  So you will definitely need to keep any extra items in your cases under the bed.  

We cruised on Solstice during her inaugural season, and at 5'3", I found the over-the-bed cabinets virtually impossible to use unless I wanted to stand on the bed.  However, before our next cruise on a Solstice class, I found a great hint about using the collapsible boxes used frequently on shelves.  I now fold knit tops, sweaters, etc to fit in these boxes when packing . . . Then I just move from the packing cube to the collapsible boxes.  Three for DH, 3 for me.  I purchased different colors so I would know which to pull down.

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

Wow, you must pack a lot! Your choice of course.   We have never had any issue with storage, and have sailed on many cruises 14-21 nights total.  When our adult son sails with us it gets a bit tight, but for two no issues at all for us.  We also take a couple of storage containers as well as a lightweight shoe hanger for the closet.

• Like 1

We also cross pack. Once you've had late luggage, or in my case a suitcase stolen from FLL, you will never put all your togs in one basket, aka suitcase.

What you do need most in Alaska is waterproof, not water resistant outerwear and shoes. You can layer under a light waterproof jacket and shrug off layers if you get warm. With the proper outerwear you can go anywhere and do anything. 

Last summer it was very warm but who knows what 2021 will bring. We've done everything from shorts to long johns but you couldn't have picked a better cruise. ENJOY!!!!!!

Just a note re suitcases. We usually travel with two large and two slightly smaller suitcases which after unpacking fit inside the two larger ones so on any cruise or in any hotel we only ever need space for two cases.

Re Alaska, we also had great weather but we did find it cool in the evening and on our balcony if we weren’t on the sunny side of the ship. In addition to day time warmer sweatshirts we found slightly smarter fleeces/cardigans useful around the ship in the evening.

On 6/8/2020 at 3:41 AM, NM2020 said:

Hello all

Thanks.

Nigel 

Your luggage will fit comfortably under the bed.  We typically have three pieces, including a large suitcase each  a garment bag, and two carry-ons which we place in our larger suitcases for storage. Especially for alaska.  You need warm jackets, gloves, hats and scarves.  However, when we sailed in August- the weather most of the time was very warm and early summer like.  By the Glaciers however, freezing.

Edited by Cruise a holic

10 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

We also cross pack. Once you've had late luggage, or in my case a suitcase stolen from FLL, you will never put all your togs in one basket, aka suitcase.

What you do need most in Alaska is waterproof, not water resistant outerwear and shoes. You can layer under a light waterproof jacket and shrug off layers if you get warm. With the proper outerwear you can go anywhere and do anything. 

Last summer it was very warm but who knows what 2021 will bring. We've done everything from shorts to long johns but you couldn't have picked a better cruise. ENJOY!!!!!!

Yes, waterproof not water-resistant! We have lightweight shell-type jackets (Columbia) that take up almost no room in a day pack. We wore them in every Alaska port last summer (June on the Millennium ) because it rained every day except for a glorious sunny Hubbard Glacier day.

As others have shared, the under bed storage is great for suitcases.

Enjoy!  Our first Celebrity cruise was an Alaska cruise on the Solstice.