Is the Anthem that bad now?

6 hours ago, LorraineP said:

We were on the Anthem in January & the DL was packed. The expansion into Music Hall was a total zoo. At times it was difficult trying to walk through the Music Hall to find a seat. That was a joke finding a seat. You had D’s, D+ & P. 

I was there in January. I never had any problems or issues. And we were there early as well as late, and before shows too.

7 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Sorry just telling someone what I experienced. Maybe your timing was different. 

I think most of us know it is quite possible for two different people to have very different experiences not only on the same ship but on tbe same cruise. Expectations, timing, staff interactions, likes, dislikes, etc., all play into the overall experience. You certainly don't have to apologize for your exerience or perceptions.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think most of us know it is quite possible for two different people to have very different experiences not only on the same ship but on tbe same cruise. Expectations, timing, staff interactions, likes, dislikes, etc., all play into the overall experience. You certainly don't have to apologize for your exerience or perceptions.

I agree, thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, LouMont said:

Looking to cruise January 2021, we are young 50’s Diamond members so we are very familiar with RCL. We live in NJ so getting to Bayonne is easy but we’ve always flew to Fla or SJU. Looking at the 11 day with a few concerns. Most of the reviews On the Anthem I’ve read are negative for various reasons, rowdy passengers, terrible food and service, dirty ship etc...Has it been that bad? Did a ship tour on her a few years ago and it didn’t seem that way but things change I’m sure. Here’s another question if you’ve read this far. Never did Celebrity and considering the Apex if completed by Jan. Big concern is being bored. We like the music by the pool and just the overall atmosphere going on the on the RCL big ships. We are late diners and usually hit the late shows, karaoke, comedians after dinner and are concerned that the ship is dead by then. Thanks for your opinions 

Hi There! Just seeing this now so I am sorry for the late reply. A few years back we did the Celebrity Summit and the following year, the Anthem of the Seas. I LOVED Anthem! I thought it was an awesome ship with tons to do and see. Personally, I felt the celebrity ship wasn't as exciting and didn't have as much to do. We used to joke that we felt like the ship shut down at 10pm. Not sure if all Celebrity ships are like this or maybe just our sailing. I did a complete review of the Anthem of the Seas on my blog if you want to check it out here: https://thehappiesttravels.com/2019/01/11/anthem-of-the-seas-cruise-review/At this point, I think any vacation you choose will be awesome! 

Was never on Anthem but suprised the ship itself has such a bad name, ok, it made negative headlines by almost ending in a desaster during a heavy winter storm, but the ship itself and the products itself should be at least as good as any other average on board experience. For some time they also had one of the best Hotels directors of RCL responsible for the ship, Dean Bayley, and as far as I know still is.

6 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Was never on Anthem but suprised the ship itself has such a bad name, ok, it made negative headlines by almost ending in a desaster during a heavy winter storm, but the ship itself and the products itself should be at least as good as any other average on board experience. For some time they also had one of the best Hotels directors of RCL responsible for the ship, Dean Bayley, and as far as I know still is.

Yes, we also love the Anthem and think Dean Bailey is a great HD.  Not sure if he's still sailing.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, njkruzer said:

Yes, we also love the Anthem and think Dean Bailey is a great HD.  Not sure if he's still sailing.

Ashley Quintail was HD in January 2020.  Not sure if that was permanent or fill in while permanent was on break.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, LouMont said:

Looking to cruise January 2021, we are young 50’s Diamond members so we are very familiar with RCL. We live in NJ so getting to Bayonne is easy but we’ve always flew to Fla or SJU. Looking at the 11 day with a few concerns. Most of the reviews On the Anthem I’ve read are negative for various reasons, rowdy passengers, terrible food and service, dirty ship etc...Has it been that bad? Did a ship tour on her a few years ago and it didn’t seem that way but things change I’m sure. Here’s another question if you’ve read this far. Never did Celebrity and considering the Apex if completed by Jan. Big concern is being bored. We like the music by the pool and just the overall atmosphere going on the on the RCL big ships. We are late diners and usually hit the late shows, karaoke, comedians after dinner and are concerned that the ship is dead by then. Thanks for your opinions 

As so many others have said, the Anthem is a great ship, it is ideal for sailing out of Bayonne.  So much to see and do, and the ship is well maintained.  You’ll have a great trip.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Ashley Quintail was HD in January 2020.  Not sure if that was permanent or fill in while permanent was on break.

He is one great guy!

We met him last on the Oasis. Brother is also HD on Royal Caribbean a ship.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, LXA350 said:

Was never on Anthem but suprised the ship itself has such a bad name, ok, it made negative headlines by almost ending in a desaster during a heavy winter storm, but the ship itself and the products itself should be at least as good as any other average on board experience. For some time they also had one of the best Hotels directors of RCL responsible for the ship, Dean Bailey, and as far as I know still is.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:35 PM, njkruzer said:

Dean has left the company.

In 20+ years of cruises with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, HAL and NCL we think the Anthem is a very good ship.

It has just about anything anyone of any age could desire whether you want to be active on your cruise or spend your time just relaxing and enjoying being at sea.

The ship was always in excellent condition and staff was always very attentive and capable.

Food ??  Sure food quality over the years has gone down in the MDR, making specialty restaurants more and more desirable, however that is true of all the lines including Celebrity. Don't be deceived however, as many a dish in a specialty venue doesn't prove worth the upcharge and on occasion the MDR meals have been equal to or superior to them.

Heading towards 30 cruises and with TWO future cruises booked on the ANTHEM it is obvious we find her to be a wonderful way to cruise..

On 7/26/2020 at 8:07 PM, LXA350 said:

In light of Anthems history of storm problems RCI almost build on that by reducing the stops on her proposed repo cruise to the UK in April 2020 because,in RCI's words,'the Atlantic can be rough in Winter',seemed such a lame excuse,any body of water can be rough at any time of year,made me wonder if they doubted her seaworthiness.

We were on Quantum last October,she was superb

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

In light of Anthems history of storm problems RCI almost build on that by reducing the stops on her proposed repo cruise to the UK in April 2020 because,in RCI's words,'the Atlantic can be rough in Winter',seemed such a lame excuse,any body of water can be rough at any time of year,made me wonder if they doubted her seaworthiness.

We were on Quantum last October,she was superb

Did the Anthem westbound TA in Oct/Nov 2015 (Southampton to Cape Liberty).  40 to 45 foot swells ... no problem.

I've had a rougher ride on [Nordic] Empress when tied up at the Royal Navy Dockyard in Bermuda.  Got caught in a tropical storm.

Booked Anthem westbound TA for Oct 2021 (Southampton to Cape Liberty).

Edited by Another_Critic

We have sailed on Anthem multiple times, different itineraries, different times of the year and different room categories. We love the ship and would recommend it to anyone, anytime. We’ve eaten at most restaurants, seen the shows, etc... We were on the last sailing before the shutdown and there were no problems at all. I miss all the fun trips now.