NCL testing my loyalty

ajd1969

Hi all

we have just had our August Alaskan cruise on NCL Joy cancelled and planned to reschedule our trip for the same time next year. We paid £3,428 for three of us in a family outside cabin and the equivalent cruise next year (on the Bliss) is £4,687, an increase of £1,259 or. 37%.  Even adding on the 25% bonus credit for cancellation, I still need to pay £402 extra for the same cabin on the same cruise. I note that previous cancellations received 20% off if they made a prompt booking, but it doesn’t look like that has been offered to us.

i have looked at the same cruise with Royal Caribbean on Quantum of the Seas and it is £2,395.  Even adding £230 for gratuities and £700 for 2x drinks packages comes in at £3,345, which is £1,342 less than NCL.

We are big fans of NCL, but currently instead of rewarding us for our loyalty, we are being pushed away towards a competitor. 

Andy

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mugtech said:

According to their letter they are still sailing Joy to Alaska in September.  Perhaps you could move it back a month?  Otherwise take your refund, you could have it by Christmas.

Thanks for the suggestion, however our schools go back at the beginning of September, so sadly that wouldn’t work for us. I think we will take the refund and look out for any better deals on NCL over the next 90 days (as I see NCL now has a form to change your mind about a refund request and go back to the voucher during the 90 day waiting period).

2 minutes ago, ajd1969 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, however our schools go back at the beginning of September, so sadly that wouldn’t work for us. I think we will take the refund and look out for any better deals on NCL over the next 90 days (as I see NCL now has a form to change your mind about a refund request and go back to the voucher during the 90 day waiting period).

Was just being sarcastic, cannot see how they can cruise Seattle to Alaska with Canada being closed in September, they just have not cancelled yet.  Good luck in your search.

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Was just being sarcastic, cannot see how they can cruise Seattle to Alaska with Canada being closed in September, they just have not cancelled yet.  Good luck in your search.

Must have missed the sarcasm - perhaps too early in the morning for me - maybe I will read it again later and have a laugh.

The September Seattle plans are a mystery.  People will say its so they can hold on to cash longer, but if that was the case then why not just cancel August now and then cancel September in a months time - why cancel voyages they didn't have to yet while not cancelling voyages that look impossible because of Canada's rules.

3 hours ago, ajd1969 said:

Hi all

we have just had our August Alaskan cruise on NCL Joy cancelled and planned to reschedule our trip for the same time next year. We paid £3,428 for three of us in a family outside cabin and the equivalent cruise next year (on the Bliss) is £4,687, an increase of £1,259 or. 37%.  Even adding on the 25% bonus credit for cancellation, I still need to pay £402 extra for the same cabin on the same cruise. I note that previous cancellations received 20% off if they made a prompt booking, but it doesn’t look like that has been offered to us.

i have looked at the same cruise with Royal Caribbean on Quantum of the Seas and it is £2,395.  Even adding £230 for gratuities and £700 for 2x drinks packages comes in at £3,345, which is £1,342 less than NCL.

We are big fans of NCL, but currently instead of rewarding us for our loyalty, we are being pushed away towards a competitor. 

Andy

Wow!  Increased pricing is being expected but wow.  That said, the question is can it be sustained if it doesn't 'fill' ships to what they aim for at that time.  Right now it's limited but might not be the case by that time next year.

If it was me, I would book it and then keep watching the pricing as it may very well go down before you have to pay final payment.  Even if they come out with a better promotion that is only good for new bookings, you can cancel and re-book for the offer.  Fingers crossed it levels off to not cost you more, that is totally crazy.  I suspect it might be higher due to the many that have been canceled this year and it has pushed next year up.

NCL seems to be playing a game of their own.  I have primarily been sailing with Celebrity lately and I had a cruise booked with them as well as a 'return to NCL' cruise for March 😞so I have been in both worlds lately.  Celebrity did a wonderful thing offering what they call Lift and Shift, maybe you heard of it but basically it is the offer to allow you to literally move a sailing one year forward (within 4 week period of date) on similar ship and itinerary and you keep your current perks and pricing.  Way to go Celebrity and shame on you NCL.

So I will add that my 'return to NCL' has been interesting and I definitely have alarm bells going off as it reminds me of why I took so long to 'return'.  My perception is they feel their product sells itself but for me the product is more than just the ship and the 'things' on board, it's the entire package ... service and price weigh heavy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ajd1969 said:

Hi all

Andy

NCL is only loyal to itself, just like any other business. Once we've picked an itinerary we look for the cruise line that is offering the lowest price and the last time we did that Royal Caribbean (Anthem of the Seas) came in $1880 less than NCL and $400 less than CCL. If I were in your situation I would book on Quantum with no hesitation, unless I could not get a refund from NCL. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ajd1969 said:

an increase of £1,259 or. 37%.  

I know what you mean, i should of been on one of the cancelled July cruises from Japan, similar itinerary next year  albeit 10 days rather then 14 is a 48% increase from what this years price was

I'm not sure why people have to talk about their loyalty being tested when a price isn't what they want it to be. There are a multitude of factors that determine price. If it doesn't work for you, you don't have to do it. No one is entitled to any price, no matter what COVID did to your existing trip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ajd1969 said:

Hi all

Andy

Are you required to rebook right away?  Can you just watch the prices for the sailing you want and see what the price does in the next few months?

8 hours ago, mugtech said:

They can courtesy stop in Canada,,,, but they don't necessarily have to allow passengers to disembark. They can call in Victoria from 1 am - 2 am and be back in Seattle by 4 am. 

The Bliss and Joy are back in the schedule for Alaska in September, but they are not allowing new bookings at this time. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They can courtesy stop in Canada,,,, but they don't necessarily have to allow passengers to disembark. They can call in Victoria from 1 am - 2 am and be back in Seattle by 4 am. 

Where did you learn this?  That a courtesy stop is permitted?

How would this meet the legality of the PVSA which prohibits commercial vessels such as cruise ships from allowing passengers to board at one U.S. port and debark at another U.S. port? A courtesy stop in Canada with nobody debarking doesn't seem to meet this requirement if they only first debark in Alaska being another US port.