Say goodbye to the older ships.

UPNYGuy

11 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

When asked there were two answers, not licensed to operate here or no trained zodiac captains.  The zodiacs remind me of the old Wendy’s commercial, where’s the beef?

I thought when the zodiac concept was introduced to the Maasdam, while I was hopeful it would work, it just didn't fit the HAL business model.  

One more example, in my opinion, of inadequate thinking in Seattle.  

Edited by rkacruiser

25 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Funny thing about the zodiacs, we sailed from Japan to Australia, around both Australia and New Zealand on  the Maasdam.  Eighty days total, the zodiacs had excursions maybe 8 days.  The most common excursion was a two hour trip where you were given a plastic cone with plastic in one end.  What you did was lean over, put the plastic end in the water and look through the cone, your own mini glass bottom boat.  Many ports would have been great for zodiacs.  When asked there were two answers, not licensed to operate here or no trained zodiac captains.  The zodiacs remind me of the old Wendy’s commercial, where’s the beef?

Wow, you summed it up so well.

An example of a smaller ship - we literally were so close in Cobh that if swimming in the port wasn’t forbidden we could have literally nearly swam, walked to shore.  

We were anchored so close that we had the fun to sail under her on a water tour.

In Bantry, most shops dock an hour away and have to take a shuttle or tour that takes at least an hour.

The Prinsendam in Bantry:

C52C4C60-52AD-4DEB-9D4A-398ECAFFB1DA.jpeg.774f6c1891b6705c0190d60e05bfdba3.jpeg

and yes, I will miss that experience but grateful for everyone we had on the P’dam.  Sailing around a first visited island.  Docking when we should have tendered as they had made a small one and Captain Gundersen was willing to try. The first ship ever to dock there and Fuerteventura gave us a pilot to take us around the island.

I’ll never forget the announcement by the CD that day.  “Ladies and gentlemen,, I’m sorry we can’t tender today....you’ll have to walk off”

Sorry, I wax sentimental here on a ship that did so much itinerary wise.  When HAL sold her they lost at least 200 ports on their itinerary.

Some say those of us won’t pay the price for a good experience.  I can honestly say that the Prinsendam was no cheap cruise.  An Oceania was quite comparable.  The Prinsendam was worth every penny and I will never regret one iota of the money I spent on that ship. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I thought when the zodiac concept was introduced to the Maasdam, while I was hopeful it would work, it just didn't fit the HAL business model.  

One more example, in my opinion, of inadequate thinking in Seattle.  

I found the Maasdam's EXC experience to be fabulous.  The details were evolving, and I was not zodiac material, but the onboard lecturers and experiences were far above and beyond.  We learned so much onboard and saw so much ashore.  Priceless memories.

Barbara

• Like 4

On our last voyage on the Maasdam from Seattle to Sydney in 2019, I chatted with Captain Arno extensively about the zodiacs, and he commented that for what would be the upcoming Alaska cruise season in 2020 (which never really happened), HAL was going to have to swap out the then current zodiacs for those made in the USA as the foreign built ones couldn't be used in US waters.  It seemed to me that there were countless hurdles thrown at HAL for use of the zodiacs.

On an earlier Maasdam voyage to the Maldives in 2019, we did take a zodiac trip and really enjoyed the zodiac part especially when Captain Arno was our zodiac driver.

We have our largest number of sailing days on the Maasdam, Volendam, and Prinsendam; and we thoroughly enjoyed all (especially the Prinsendam for the ship) and the other two for their itineraries.

Tim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bcummin said:

I found the Maasdam's EXC experience to be fabulous.  The details were evolving, and I was not zodiac material, but the onboard lecturers and experiences were far above and beyond.  We learned so much onboard and saw so much ashore.  Priceless memories.

Barbara

11 hours ago, kazu said:

Wow, you summed it up so well.

An example of a smaller ship - we literally were so close in Cobh that if swimming in the port wasn’t forbidden we could have literally nearly swam, walked to shore.  

We were anchored so close that we had the fun to sail under her on a water tour.

In Bantry, most shops dock an hour away and have to take a shuttle or tour that takes at least an hour.

The Prinsendam in Bantry:

C52C4C60-52AD-4DEB-9D4A-398ECAFFB1DA.jpeg.774f6c1891b6705c0190d60e05bfdba3.jpeg

and yes, I will miss that experience but grateful for everyone we had on the P’dam.  Sailing around a first visited island.  Docking when we should have tendered as they had made a small one and Captain Gundersen was willing to try. The first ship ever to dock there and Fuerteventura gave us a pilot to take us around the island.

I’ll never forget the announcement by the CD that day.  “Ladies and gentlemen,, I’m sorry we can’t tender today....you’ll have to walk off”

Sorry, I wax sentimental here on a ship that did so much itinerary wise.  When HAL sold her they lost at least 200 ports on their itinerary.

Some say those of us won’t pay the price for a good experience.  I can honestly say that the Prinsendam was no cheap cruise.  An Oceania was quite comparable.  The Prinsendam was worth every penny and I will never regret one iota of the money I spent on that ship. 

Jacqui, cannot agree more with your comment. Those were the days on Prinsendam and they won't come back anymore.

Peter

• Like 1

Jacqui, I think we were with you on the cruise which included Bantry.  May-June 2017 Kiel Canal/Celtic Explorer?  What a great cruise!   I second your thoughts on the Prinsendam being worth the cost because she went to places we will never be able to see again.

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui, I think we were with you on the cruise which included Bantry.  May-June 2017 Kiel Canal/Celtic Explorer?  What a great cruise!   I second your thoughts on the Prinsendam being worth the cost because she went to places we will never be able to see again.

You were indeed 😄   And yes, it was the Celtic Explorer segment 🙂 It was a great cruise, wasn’t it! 

17 hours ago, kazu said:

I agree with your entire post but on this in particular.  The EXEC in depth and the Maasdam is NOTHING like the Prinsendam.  An imitation at best and a poor one at that.  It’s itineraries no where near match what the Prinsendam did.  Not saying Maasdam doesn’t have nice itineraries but they are limited.

HAL has sunk money into the Maasdam with zodiacs etc so I agree they may hang onto her.  On the other hand, everything is for sale if the price is right.  After all, Prinsendam had the highest profit per person of all of the ships and they sold her.

Exactly. The Maasdam EXC is a completely different concept, built on a more affordable expedition-type travel concept and less of a cruise experience (i.e. no shows/traditional entertainment). It's similar to the Prinsendam in that they don't really repeat itineraries and the destinations are relatively exotic, but it's not the same. I know there has been speculation here that HAL would build a new Prinsendam or at least replace her with a similar size vessel someday, and can't help but feel that the pandemic and subsequent gloomy outlook of the cruise industry has put the kibosh on any dreams of that happening. Such a shame.

If I had to make my bets, I would say Maasdam is safe for now, but you're absolutely right - everything is for sale if the price is right.

6 hours ago, Infi said:

The EXC is a completely different concept,

I have experienced the EXC concept on shorter cruises and I have enjoyed what I have experienced.  Informative, just as long as the ones in charge of the lectures/sessions really know of which they are speaking and not reading from a teleprompter.

If HAL of the future consists of ships such as those in the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle Class, EXC's concept won't work unless it is effectively made for providing for guests on those ships the EXC experience that I think HAL intended. 

On some cruises, i.e. Eurodam's January, 2020, partial Panama Canal cruise:  my expectation and my traveling friends' were met.  

On 6/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, victory2020 said:

I would think the smaller ships would be of more use if they want to keep crowds/mass gatherings to a minimum.

There are probably a lot of spreadsheet models whirring away trying to figure this out.  We have a few assumptions we can start with:

1. The annual growth rate of cruising is not 6% any more

2. The fixed crew size will go up a little as you need more medical/safety staff

3. Crew will need single cabins = inside cabins

4. Venue capacity may be reduced due to distancing 

5. Most operating costs are fixed  

6. We have a droplet based virus that spreads best in crowded indoor spaces

7. Passengers still expect/ prefer balconies, more dining options 

So you can run a ship like the Rotterdam at reduced capacity, or for the same rough fixed cost (not including any mortgage) a newer larger ship with more balconies.   I would prefer to be on a classic ship myself, (and the Rotterdam did not feel crowded) but what about the numbers?  

• Like 1

It just seems to me that when the lines start up again, there won't be the demand and larger ships could end up sailing with very few pax, making the smaller ships more attractive to be profitable.  Don't really know, just MHO

• Like 1

Isn't that website just one of those speculative listing ones?  Not that it's really for sale, but the broker will take offers to their contacts to see if there is interest?  A Celebrity ship kept getting listed on some website (may have been a different one) but the photos came from a couple different ships, and then Celebrity ended up announcing that they were overhauling them all (that program has been put on hold, but this was a few years ago when it was listed).

It would make more sense to me if these were being scrapped rather than sold, just because there's already a glut of new builds either in the pipeline or already built and demand is not going to be what it was.  

On 6/19/2020 at 3:26 AM, JanDom said:

We are also going with HAL because of the older and smaller ships.
We always booked the old ones even if we had the chance to book a newer one for the same stops !
Hope they will stay in the fleet 😞

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm with you....love the older and smaller ships, especially the Veendam.  We have 37 days booked on the Veendam for next year...if it happens.   Wonder what they will do with bookings for whatever ship or ships they sell.   

Bigger ships can't get into a lot of ports we've been to on the Veendam previously.   Never got to sail on the Prisendam but understand that was the case and perhaps Veendam has been scheduled for some of those itineraries.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 6:59 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I would say most likely budget, . . .   It probably just needs to be toned down a bit, add functional furniture, a Sheraton at sea.

Or a Ryan Air of the sea...........................😱

On 6/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, HokiePoq said:

I'm with you....love the older and smaller ships, especially the Veendam.  We have 37 days booked on the Veendam for next year...if it happens.   Wonder what they will do with bookings for whatever ship or ships they sell.   

Bigger ships can't get into a lot of ports we've been to on the Veendam previously.   Never got to sail on the Prisendam but understand that was the case and perhaps Veendam has been scheduled for some of those itineraries.

The smaller ships are the reason we book with HAL as well.  Love the Ryndam and the Veendam and have many days on both.  We loved the Prinsendam as well and sailed on her in the Baltic. We sailed twice on some of the larger boats and they just are not the same experience.  Sadly, if the small ships go away, Mrs Banjo and I will follow.  

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 4:05 PM, HokiePoq said:

Just as the bigger ships can’t get into some ports that the Veendam can, the Veendam won’t be able to get into a number o ports that the Prinsendam could.  Prinsendam’s size let it into numerous ports and sail down the Kiel Canal.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pspercy said:

Or a Ryan Air of the sea...........................😱

Pan Am sold their Tokyo hub to United, then after bankruptcy, were acquired by Delta.  Cheap ships may be coming out all up and down the market, and so could future competition.  Some may make us laugh, but I wouldn't rule out everyone.