Say goodbye to the older ships.

UPNYGuy

We all knew it was happening.Say goodbye to the older, smaller ships while we can.  Carnival Corporation already has an agreement to dispose of six ships and is looking at agreements to get rid of more older vessels Carnival Corporation already has an agreement to dispose of six ships and is looking at agreements to get rid of more older vessels 

https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/carnival-corporation-cuts-six-ships-as-return-to-operations-slips/

From their SEC 8-K    Scott. 

source: https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/067a3942-adca-428a-88ae-2c0270d21177

PREPARATION FOR THE RESUMPTION OF GUEST OPERATIONS

The company expects to resume guest operations, after collaboration with both government and health authorities, in a phased manner, with specific ships and brands returning to service over time to provide its guests with enjoyable vacation experiences. The company anticipates that initial sailings will be from a select number of easily accessible homeports. The company expects future capacity to be moderated by the phased re-entry of its ships, the removal of capacity from its fleet and delays in new ship deliveries.

In connection with its capacity optimization strategy, the company intends to accelerate the removal of ships in fiscal 2020 which were previously expected to be sold over the ensuing years. The company already has preliminary agreements for the disposal of 6 ships which are expected to leave the fleet in the next 90 days and is currently working toward additional agreements.

• Like 2

The wikipedia entry for Costa Victoria indicates she's already been sold:

"In 2020, the ship was sold to Genova Trasporti Marittimi and is set to be converted to a accommodation ship for dry-dock workers at the Chantier Naval de Marseille ship yard in Marseille, France."

This whole episode has been earth-shattering for the cruise lines. There is bound to be drastic realignment from top to bottom including fleet adjustments.

I'm starting to wonder if as much as half the HAL fleet may be sacrificed.....probably the half we like best.

I also think HAL's survival may still be in question. The average age of HAL passengers makes a robust rebound difficult for the company.

15 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

The average age of HAL passengers makes a robust rebound difficult for the company.

Perfect time to complete the brand reposition of HAL, no?     🙂

Was poking around on the used ship parking lot just now ... 

https://www.qpsships.com/pre-owned-cruise-ships

https://www.qpsships.com/copy-of-pre-owned-cruise-ships

Lots of recognizable CCL hulls ...     Scott. 

14 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Who's in the market to buy old ships with every thing going on right now in the cruising world.

There is always someone with money to take advantage of someone else's cash flow difficulties.

Carnival may be selling, but at what price?

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

There is always someone with money to take advantage of someone else's cash flow difficulties.

Can’t imagine the value has done anything but plummet.

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Can’t find if any are HAL ships.  Veendam and/or Volendam would be most likely.

The Amsterdam will go straight to India to be scrapped, including your luggage..😷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

There is always a Mr. Potter (ref:  It's a Wonderful Life).

• Like 2

it is way too soon to speculate, but I am assuming the S's and R's would go. I also think Pacific Princess (Renaissance ship) would likely get the boot, as well as the fantasy class from Carnival. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

it is way too soon to speculate, but I am assuming the S's and R's would go. I also think Pacific Princess (Renaissance ship) would likely get the boot, as well as the fantasy class from Carnival. 

It would be a shame if the flagships went and especially the one used for the World Cruises.  But who knows?  HAL got rid of the Prinsendam despite the higher pricing she commanded.

16 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Funny how the NA would be considered a smaller ship.

Where did you get that impression?  In fact, if you read my post, I said "of the bigger ones the Nieuw Amsterdam is my favourite", and KK (who you quoted) didn't reference the NA being a smaller ship, either.
I've not had any desire to cruise the new class of HAL ships - Koningsdam, Niew Statendam - and likely never will, but perhaps the NA is considered smaller when compared to those.

46 minutes ago, Cusebarman said:

Maasdam has been on the market for a long while.  120 million.  You can find it on Yachtworld,  

It was the last ship we sailed on, but we would not buy it even if the price was considerably less than that.

1 hour ago, T8NCruise said:

Where did you get that impression?  In fact, if you read my post, I said "of the bigger ones the Nieuw Amsterdam is my favourite", and KK (who you quoted) didn't reference the NA being a smaller ship, either.
I've not had any desire to cruise the new class of HAL ships - Koningsdam, Niew Statendam - and likely never will, but perhaps the NA is considered smaller when compared to those.

Sorry, I misread your post.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It was the last ship we sailed on, but we would not buy it even if the price was considerably less than that.

Agreed, our last cruise on the Maasdam was our worst HAL cruise. Soooooo much deferred maintenance, it was sad.

• Like 1