Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

18 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

Polly's posting 941 refers:

And a good friend of mine was sitting right next to the poor man who was killed on the Marco Polo in February 2014 when a window crashed onto him after a freak wave had hit it.

CMV were not directly blamed for it at the subsequent inquest although I understand there were claims by the victim's widow that the ship had been poorly maintained.

As above, though, they were not held responsible.

Perhaps not surprisingly my friend will not set foot on another cruise ship

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/man-85-killed-after-dodgy-cruise-ship-window-falls-and-hits-head-during-severe-storm-9964706.html

I am so sorry to hear  your friend was next to the man who died Pete.

It was around 2012 when we experienced the bad weather and the ship felt very unsafe then in bad weather.

Edited by Polly1922
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Britboys said:

That must have been scary Polly. Maybe particularly treacherous seas? I went to Iceland on her and we had some fairly heavy seas and high winds but she rode them well.

It was scary and put me off cruising for a long time.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Are they the one that Jayne MacDonald sailed on as the itinerary was amazing and we had even looked at sailing on them? The ships we a 'no' for us. Am actually getting excited if one of the Greek companies we trust buy her and use her for Greek Cruises we would jump at the chance to book with them ...................... once it has all settled down.

Yes, she did do a Greek Isles cruise on one of their ships.

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Jayne MacDonald would put me off a bit.🤔

I'm sure she is a lovely person, but does anyone actually like her?

Everytime I see her, I immediately think of Victoria Wood doing an impression of her in her live show. 

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Everytime I see her, I immediately think of Victoria Wood doing an impression of her in her live show. 

I think she’s wonderful, and I think she’s brilliant on the show. Opened our eyes to different types of cruising we hadn’t thought of before. American lakes for one! 

• Like 1

Just now, joeecco said:

I think she’s wonderful, and I think she’s brilliant on the show. Opened our eyes to different types of cruising we hadn’t thought of before. American lakes for one! 

Although I won’t be watching it with her replacement, Susan, she irritates me so much. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure she sings like an Angel, didn't Elvis sing a song about that ?. Did her old man have a farm ?

2 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Show is quite good and she does it well

IMO . It's her singing that grates a bit

. Perhaps if Gary isn't doing much.  🤔

• Haha 1

Just now, zap99 said:

Show is quite good and she does it well

IMO . It's her singing that grates a bit

. Perhaps if Gary isn't doing much.  🤔

Yes must admit never understood the singing part. Would love to know if she wanted to do it or was told too. 
& I cannot stand Gary Barlow. 

8 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Yes must admit never understood the singing part. Would love to know if she wanted to do it or was told too. 
& I cannot stand Gary Barlow. 

Barlow?. I meant Lineker.🍔. I bet he can knock out a tune. ( I couldn't delete the cheeseburger,but should have used that in the MacDonald post. Predictive got it right)😂

Edited by zap99
Added
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, joeecco said:

You know of course that the cruise lines pay for the programme, so she is not exactly impartial in her comments.

Just now, wowzz said:

You know of course that the cruise lines pay for the programme, so she is not exactly impartial in her comments.

I’m well aware how it all works, the show isn’t billed as a critic show, it’s a ‘let’s show you the ship and destinations’ show and for that, I think it’s fab. On top of that she’s still honest in regards to some ships where the cabins old and dated and she highlights that and adds ‘but it’s clean and this cruise is all about the itinerary’ so I think it’s a fair balance. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Well I didn't know that .A bit sneaky don't you think.

17 hours ago, Britboys said:

That sounds a lot for CMV Brian - maybe that cruise was almost fully booked. Having sailed on Marco Polo - which is 56 years old - in 2018, I do feel however that they keep their ships well. She certainly didn't look or feel that old. Admittedly, she was rebuilt in '72 & '92 but I would happily sail on her again - but I do love older, real ships.

It was next year on the Amy Johnson.Balcony and more than 2 weeks.Istanbul and Black Sea is on our bucket list.I'll try and find the offer as it was via an online agent we use,cheers,Brian.

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

I'm sure she sings like an Angel, didn't Elvis sing a song about that ?. Did her old man have a farm ?

Her brother Ron does a mean burger I heard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

It was next year on the Amy Johnson.Balcony and more than 2 weeks.Istanbul and Black Sea is on our bucket list.I'll try and find the offer as it was via an online agent we use,cheers,Brian.

Just looked it up.Ocean view,no balcony £6080.30+ days but no perks like drinks etc.Perhaps you CMV guys could enlighten me .

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

No Zapp ,he was a mine worker.

I think he may have been seen coming out of FarmFoods buying something to put on his snap(lunch)

before going down pit.

She loves her home town Wakefield and loves to talk about her town on the telly.

We also had TV stars the Chuckle Brothers who also liked to talk about their hometown as well,

maybe it's a Yorkshire thing but I am pleased to say ,they never tried to sing at the end of their shows .

Mrs Kalos will view Jayne's show's but reaches for the TV remote when she starts to sing and 

rightly so when there's Police Camera Action on the other side .

I like their song ,how's it go ? "Taser,Taser !" :classic_wink:

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

We sailed on her when she was Regal Princess to Alaska in 2005. Lovely ship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

We also had TV stars the Chuckle Brothers who also liked to talk about their hometown as well,

maybe it's a Yorkshire thing but I am pleased to say ,they never tried to sing at the end of their shows .

Didn't Geoff Boycott sing a song at the end of Test match Special?,or was that Just my imagination.😂

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Didn't Geoff Boycott sing a song at the end of Test match Special?,or was that Just my imagination.😂

Of course he did but then what would you expect ? He was a Wakefield lad ,it must be a Wakefield 

tradition for their celebs . 

You never heard Fred Trueman singing after a game ,another of our local lads who would never dream

of upsetting your day by singing you a song .:classic_wink:

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

Of course he did but then what would you expect ? He was a Wakefield lad ,it must be a Wakefield 

tradition for their celebs . 

You never heard Fred Trueman singing after a game ,another of our local lads who would never dream

of upsetting your day by singing you a song .:classic_wink:

In Woking we have a few notable residents, but most got wiped out when the martians invaded.😁

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, brian1 said:

Just looked it up.Ocean view,no balcony £6080.30+ days but no perks like drinks etc.Perhaps you CMV guys could enlighten me .

This ship is new to CMV - in her first season next year. This appears to be the 32-night cruise as I thought. On launch, the cheapest standard outside double was £3199 per person on the bogof deal. The cheapest balcony was £4799 on the same basis. Being an older ship, of course there are fewer balcony cabins - two decks. Thus, the standard outside came in at just under £100 a night. It is maybe higher than most CMV fares but when you think it is their new flagship and is an itinerary that is seldom available from the UK, I don't think those fares are too bad. You can add a package to include tips, all inclusive (non premium) drinks plus various discounts for £22 per pax per day and you get every 7th day free.

Before submitting, I thought I would check the CMV website and it is showing that with the exception of only 3 outside twin cabin grades, the rest are all on waitlist! That will obviously explain the higher prices now...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Britboys said:

Each to their own I guess. I'd happily do it as it calls at a lot of places around the Med I haven't been to as well. I think 16 ports in 33 days is pretty good actually.

We have been to a number of those ports, but certainly a big advantage on the P&O itinerary offerings.  Even with the bigger ships (and their mid size is big in our language), P&O  could do a lot better than they do.  We have looked at their world cruise sectors but not many port days and most of them seem to be the same old places.  I see that CMV one is largely wait listed already - as you say the unusual ones can get better prices.Just hope that bodes well for Aurora and Arcadia as they do seem to get much higher prices for their better itineraries with those ships, even though not what we call adventurous.  We are booked on the US/Canadian Eastern Seaboard next year so keeping our fingers crossed for that.     

We have started doing more land hols and a cruise added to that works well too.  Early this year we spent two weeks on a private tour, stay in Sri Lanka followed by a Fred cruise to Dubai with four ports (six days) in India, followed by another four nights in Dubai.  We were very lucky to get back before the end of February though when the world went mad.

Happy cruising, or any holiday you manage in the near future 🙂

• Like 1