Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

3 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

I just wonder what the other ships that leave Carnival will be, except those that you have mentioned. I’m thinking it will either be other Fantasy class ships or maybe some older tonnage from AIDA/Princess. 

AIDAcara or possibly AIDAvita must be contenders.

I wonder if Azamara would be hoping Princess will be losing Pacific Princess?

1 minute ago, showingdiva said:

Not at the moment.  I would need a lot of prior notification and suitably medicated if Arcadia were to go anywhere.

I agree, but could make good business sense.

Help to fund the 2 new ships, and lower the overall average age of guests.

I would suggest that the average age on Arcadia and Aurora would be a lot higher then there other ships.

We only book on Arcadia or Aurora!

24 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

I agree, but could make good business sense.

Help to fund the 2 new ships, and lower the overall average age of guests.

I would suggest that the average age on Arcadia and Aurora would be a lot higher then there other ships.

We only book on Arcadia or Aurora!

I think both have more service left in them.  Aurora has always been a very popular ship, and although getting on, softens the blow for the faithful smaller /mid ship lovers who have lost Oriana, Adonia, Artemis and now Oceana in recent years.

Carnival Corporation as a whole have a lot older tonnage within fleets that also have new, larger ships in build / planning.   I've worked on board AIDAcara, AIDAvita, AIDAaura and Rotterdam in recent years.   All very friendly ships, but in need of modernisation much more than Arcadia or Aurora.   Personally, I think the acquisition of Rotterdam and Amsterdam is a great move for Fred Olsen.

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jack McGowan said:

Thanks, it would certainly be interesting if Carnival took over CMV and would also make a cruise line to move their oldest ships too 😉. Agreed, the rumours have been going around about this for a while now and don’t seem to have calmed. 

I just wonder what the other ships that leave Carnival will be, except those that you have mentioned. I’m thinking it will either be other Fantasy class ships or maybe some older tonnage from AIDA/Princess. 

Sorry, haven’t been keeping up to date with this thread as much as I’d have liked lately, why would island princess be safer than others?

I had heard strong rumours that Island Princess was being sold however yesterday Princess publicly confirmed her 2022 deployment.

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

I had heard strong rumours that Island Princess was being sold however yesterday Princess publicly confirmed her 2022 deployment.

After spending a fortune plonking a cube of rooms and a windowless gym on the back,I suppose they they can still recoup as her and the Coral can easily repo from Alaska to Carribean with reasonably high passenger loads.They are still popular in these areas.JMO.

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

From another thread I read that Carnival put 86 ships up as senior bond collateral. That left 19 ships as being debt free, which they are attempting to dispose of. I assume that Island Princess is part of the group of 86.

From a TA's FB page this morning

Shortly after Holland America Line last night confirmed it is to sell four ships, Fred Olsen has confirmed it has purchased Amsterdam and Rotterdam from the cruise line. 

The vessels will be renamed MS Bolette and MS Borealis, with the purchases coming as Fred Olsen looks to modernise its fleet. 

Cathy

8 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

From a TA's FB page this morning

Shortly after Holland America Line last night confirmed it is to sell four ships, Fred Olsen has confirmed it has purchased Amsterdam and Rotterdam from the cruise line. 

The vessels will be renamed MS Bolette and MS Borealis, with the purchases coming as Fred Olsen looks to modernise its fleet. 

Cathy

I read that yesterday. P&O will be having some stiff competition from Fred now they seem to be phasing out their smaller ships. I wonder if Fred will be disposing of a ship or two though to make way for newest ones to arrive.

Avril 

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I read that yesterday. P&O will be having some stiff competition from Fred now they seem to be phasing out their smaller ships. I wonder if Fred will be disposing of a ship or two though to make way for newest ones to arrive.

Avril 

Avril, if you read my link, it says Fred will get rid of two ships.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

I wondered that too as Fred has some ships built in the 1970s.

10 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Rotterdam and Amsterdam to be renamed "Borealis" and "Bolette" respectively.  Transfer September 2020.

Bolette?! FO must have run out of sensible names for ships that begin with B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Avril, if you read my link, it says Fred will get rid of two ships.

Sorry wowzz.  I will have read it, but there are so many similar threads that they all merge together and I forget which one's which. Frank calls it 'my old lady brain' 😉

Avril 

I wonder about the "green" credentials, or not of the two ships transferred to Fred.  He is likely to have ongoing problems in the future with the restrictions in paces like Norway, where he has always done a lot of sailings.

Edited by tring

12 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Safe in 2020

Remaining P&O, Cunard, HAL ships plus Island Princess.

Oh dear, that does not sound long for Aurora and Arcadia - still worried about our Sept 2021 sailing on Aurora.  

If Carnival do buy CMV, I wonder if these ships (and their planned cruises ) may cross over to the "new CMV".  I am not a business person so no ideal how these things happen (or not).

25 minutes ago, tring said:

Oh dear, that does not sound long for Aurora and Arcadia - still worried about our Sept 2021 sailing on Aurora.  

If Carnival do buy CMV, I wonder if these ships (and their planned cruises ) may cross over to the "new CMV".  I am not a business person so no ideal how these things happen (or not).

I have nothing to suggest any departure for Aurora and Arcadia. 'Safe in 2020' implied that they were not affected by this round of ship disposals. No ship is 100% from sale in the future and that is just a fact of the industry.

There is a market for 'small ship cruising' in the UK and internationally. The question that needs to be answer, as far as Carnival are concerned, is whether this should be part of P&O or a stand alone brand. I don't think P&O UK would only want to have four ships (Azura, Ventura, Britannia and Iona) therefore if the acquisition happens, my guess is that you would see P&O offering "Family Holidays" and "Small Ship Cruises" as distinct sub-brands. This is only in the same way that you can currently choose adults-only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

The next one will be called Bolero as she skates across the seas🤣

Bolette is an unusual name. The only connection with Fred I can fathom is it was the name of a Danish landscape painter, the alternative seems to be a type of mushroom.

18 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Bolette is an unusual name. The only connection with Fred I can fathom is it was the name of a Danish landscape painter, the alternative seems to be a type of mushroom.

It was mentioned in writing along with an announcement I have posted on the Fred boards.  It was the name of his great, great grand mother and a number of Olsen ships have taken that name over the years.  Also begins with B of course which is a Fred tradition.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Mr Google suggests it's a Norwegian name, which is a move away from their normal Scottish names.

• Like 1