Virus numbers going up in FL

jakeT

18 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

The bottom line is that people deserve to be able to live their lives without being locked in their houses.  Vulnerable people should stay home as long as they deem necessary.  Everyone else should be able to decide for themselves what their risk is and take the precautions they deem necessary.  It's obvious from what's happened in the past month that people will decide when to take risks.  This is a virus and there is no stopping it.  It will need to run its course.  In my opinion, that will happen much quicker if things can open up.

As testing increases, so do the number of positive cases.  Unless hospitals are overwhelmed and can't handle the hospitalizations, then I hope everything opens up.  Vulnerable people can stay inside for the next year, if that's what they want to do.  Expecting other people to behave a certain way is not realistic.  People should protect their own health and accept responsibility for their own health.

Well said, it's time to flatten the fear.

https://flattenthefear.com/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, travelhound said:

You may be right, but right now that's just speculation and it appears that they will resume in August.

Do you think Even though all the other cruise lines are not cruising in August that Carnival is going to throw caution to the wind and go for it.  I personally don't think that is the case.  We shall see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelhound said:

It appears that they will resume in August.

What exactly makes you think that?? What facts are appearing to you??

Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.. 

#AugustNotaChanceNotGoingToHappen

20200619-115540.jpg

✌️

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FL postive tests yesterday were at an all time high.  And it's not just because of testing of farmworkers riding on buses.  Appears to be a lot of younger folks.  Local city lap pools here had 2 positive cases for the pool workers/lifeguards.  These are 18-22 year olds, if that.  They were masks on the job, even sitting in the lifeguard stands. Every swimmer gets a temp test.  Thus not contacting it from the hoi polloi, but rather afterhours mingling.

Fortunately increased hospitalizations don't appear happening and deaths aren't trending up.

Just now, ObstructedView2 said:

What exactly makes you think that?? What is appearing to you??

20200619-115540.jpg

✌️

My lying eyes appear to see something different than your lying eyes.  :classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skridge said:

Do you think Even though all the other cruise lines are not cruising in August that Carnival is going to throw caution to the wind and go for it.  I personally don't think that is the case.  We shall see.

If you look at Expedia, it appears that three cruise lines are sailing in the Caribbean in August, RCL, MSC and Disney.  Carnival is not going to sail until October.

Edited by travelhound

New cases in Florida keep increasing, although testing may have flat-lined. At least CDC says it is okay for life guards to rescue people - I guess the risk might be worth it.

Hard to say with a lack of transparency in statistics.

34 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

What exactly makes you think that?? What facts are appearing to you??

#AugustNotaChanceNotGoingToHappen

20200619-115540.jpg

✌️

Because 58 Caribbean cruises, from 3 cruise lines are listed on Expedia in August.

Edited by travelhound

16 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Key West is requiring masks for a year?

Yep, became effective 6/17/20 except for (and e. would apply to me and my husband LOL):

(2) The requirements of this section do not apply to:

a. Restaurant customers or patrons while dining and/or consuming beverages while seated at a table

b. A gym patron engaged in a workout or class where at least 6 feet of distancing exists with the next closest patron.

c. Barbershop or beauty salon customers or patrons when wearing a face covering would reasonably interfere with receiving services.

d. Business owners, managers, and employees who are in an area of a business establishment that is not open to customers, patrons, or the public, provided that 6 feet of distance exists between employees. This exception does not apply to employees who are present in the kitchen or other food and beverage preparation area of a restaurant or food establishment. When an owner, manager, or employee is in their place of employment but not within six feet of another person, that owner, manager, or employee does not need to wear a mask.

e. Bar patrons while consuming beverages and/or food..

f. A lodging establishment guest when inside of the lodging unit including but not limited to a hotel room, motel room, vacation rental unit, timeshare unit, or similar unit.

More info

(1) Civil Citation.

a. A code compliance or law enforcement officer may, upon observation of a violation by a person who does not immediately put on a face covering after receiving a warning, issue a notice to appear or civil citation to appear in County Court.

b. Any person or business establishment prosecuted under this subsection and found in violation of this ordinance may be punished by a fine of up to $500.00.

SECTION 8. Effective Date. This Ordinance shall take immediate effect upon adoption and shall be filed with the Department of State.

SECTION 9. Sunset Date. Unless rescinded or extended by subsequent act of the Board, this ordinance shall sunset on June 1, 2021, subject to quarterly review.

http://www.monroecountyem.com/DocumentCenter/View/23565/Mask-Ordinance-Clean-version

Guess this means throwing on a mask between each bar on a pub crawl 😄 🍹🙃

(FL resident wondering if masks have a hurricane rating - just how far would that elastic stretch LOL.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Yep, became effective 6/17/20 except for (and e. would apply to me and my husband LOL):

(2) The requirements of this section do not apply to:

a. Restaurant customers or patrons while dining and/or consuming beverages while seated at a table

b. A gym patron engaged in a workout or class where at least 6 feet of distancing exists with the next closest patron.

c. Barbershop or beauty salon customers or patrons when wearing a face covering would reasonably interfere with receiving services.

d. Business owners, managers, and employees who are in an area of a business establishment that is not open to customers, patrons, or the public, provided that 6 feet of distance exists between employees. This exception does not apply to employees who are present in the kitchen or other food and beverage preparation area of a restaurant or food establishment. When an owner, manager, or employee is in their place of employment but not within six feet of another person, that owner, manager, or employee does not need to wear a mask.

e. Bar patrons while consuming beverages and/or food..

f. A lodging establishment guest when inside of the lodging unit including but not limited to a hotel room, motel room, vacation rental unit, timeshare unit, or similar unit.

More info

(1) Civil Citation.

a. A code compliance or law enforcement officer may, upon observation of a violation by a person who does not immediately put on a face covering after receiving a warning, issue a notice to appear or civil citation to appear in County Court.

b. Any person or business establishment prosecuted under this subsection and found in violation of this ordinance may be punished by a fine of up to $500.00.

SECTION 8. Effective Date. This Ordinance shall take immediate effect upon adoption and shall be filed with the Department of State.

SECTION 9. Sunset Date. Unless rescinded or extended by subsequent act of the Board, this ordinance shall sunset on June 1, 2021, subject to quarterly review.

http://www.monroecountyem.com/DocumentCenter/View/23565/Mask-Ordinance-Clean-version

Guess this means throwing on a mask between each bar on a pub crawl 😄 🍹🙃

(FL resident wondering if masks have a hurricane rating - just how far would that elastic stretch LOL.)

Well it's good to know that I don't have to wear a mask while eating 🙂

• Haha 3

Why is everyone making this a big deal? It is logical. The more testing the more cases will be detected. So what does it mean? Nothing. The number of deaths are the only numbers anyone should be concerned with. Just because someone has the virus does not mean they will end up in a hospital or even get sick at all. . Many have no physical symptoms. Those that have underlying conditions should take extra precaution. Those that are healthy should be fine. No not all. But the majority. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Why is everyone making this a big deal? It is logical. The more testing the more cases will be detected. So what does it mean? Nothing. The number of deaths are the only numbers anyone should be concerned with. Just because someone has the virus does not mean they will end up in a hospital or even get sick at all. . Many have no physical symptoms. Those that have underlying conditions should take extra precaution. Those that are healthy should be fine. No not all. But the majority. 

My thoughts exactly 🙂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, travelhound said:

You may be right, but right now that's just speculation and it appears that they will resume in August.

CLIA just announced they are supporting an extension of the pause in cruising until September 15th, so it appears that they won't be resuming in August.

2 hours ago, travelhound said:

Well it's good to know that I don't have to wear a mask while eating 🙂

Or while walking outside...it's only inside businesses that you need to wear them.  

From the Miami Herald.  

Don’t forget your mask if you’re visiting the Florida Keys.

It’s now a law to cover both your nose and mouth with some type of facial covering when inside a bar, restaurant or other business with a roof.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SLCfirsttimer said:

CLIA just announced they are supporting an extension of the pause in cruising until September 15th, so it appears that they won't be resuming in August.

Yup, I just saw that on CNBC, but that really doesn't affect Carnival because they already suspended Cruises until August, along with NCL.

1 hour ago, hayesktrm said:

Or while walking outside...it's only inside businesses that you need to wear them.  

From the Miami Herald.  

Don’t forget your mask if you’re visiting the Florida Keys.

It’s now a law to cover both your nose and mouth with some type of facial covering when inside a bar, restaurant or other business with a roof.

It's good to know that you don't have to wear a mask outside.  I wonder if I will have to wear a mask while snorkeling 🙂

Edited by travelhound

29 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Yup, I just saw that on CNBC, but that really doesn't affect Carnival because they already suspended Cruises until August, along with NCL.

Uh, how exactly does the CLIA supporting a pause of cruising until September 15 not affect Carnival who has only suspended cruising until August 1? My calendar shows that September is after August, so it would absolutely impact Carnival. 

28 minutes ago, SLCfirsttimer said:

Uh, how exactly does the CLIA supporting a pause of cruising until September 15 not affect Carnival who has only suspended cruising until August 1? My calendar shows that September is after August, so it would absolutely impact Carnival. 

Because Carnival had already suspended cruises until October and was not selling any cruises on Expedia until October.  It appears that RCL, MSC and Disney are the only lines that will be affected.

6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

They better be concerned with ICU beds. Florida is behind the curve, AGAIN.

https://www.newsweek.com/multiple-florida-hospitals-run-out-icu-beds-coronavirus-cases-spike-1511934?ut

3 hours ago, travelhound said:

Because Carnival had already suspended cruises until October and was not selling any cruises on Expedia until October.  It appears that RCL, MSC and Disney are the only lines that will be affected.

Just a little clarification. They had already suspended some of their cruises until October. Just a few ships. Eight ships were scheduled to start up Aug. 1 and the rest of the fleet, with the exception of those October ones, were set to return on Sept. 1. So Carnival is still affected by this new extension. It puts the kibosh on their cruises that were scheduled to return in Aug. and Sept.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Just a little clarification. They had already suspended some of their cruises until October. Just a few ships. Eight ships were scheduled to start up Aug. 1 and the rest of the fleet, with the exception of those October ones, were set to return on Sept. 1. So Carnival is still affected by this new extension. It puts the kibosh on their cruises that were scheduled to return in Aug. and Sept.

Well I think we are getting way off topic.  That said, Expedia did not show any cruises from Carnival today until October.  I am sure that they did have some cruises scheduled several weeks ago for August and September.  But again this is getting way off topic.

7 minutes ago, travelhound said:

It's time to flatten the fear 🙂

https://flattenthefear.com/

First thing I read is ‘Together we’ve flattened the curve’.  Apparently those doctors prepared their petition some time ago.  In Florida, the number of new cases is growing substantially and the %age of positive tests has grown from about 5% to 12% over the last week or so.  Fear is not called for but declaring ‘Mission Accomplished’ in Florida is simply ignoring reality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back to Virus going up in Florida. Does anyone at all find that suprising? If you do, why? Same for the entire US. Get real everyone. More testing being done, more cases will show up. Is that not logical? let's all calm down and please understand this was totally expected. 

I figured that the number of cases would be up after the opening of the country and also testing becoming available to people without mild or no symptoms.  It's a virus and is going to have to run its course.  I actually think it's a bit ridiculous to think that an open country can stop a virus.  The majority of people who get the virus will be fine.  Those who realize they won't be fine, can stay safe by limiting contact with other people.  I believe if enough young and healthy people get the virus, that will actually make the more vulnerable people safer in the long run as long as they shelter in place and limit contact for awhile.

Vulnerable people should not depend on other people wearing disposable and cloth masks to keep them safe.  The virus can go right through those masks.  This is not a fool-proof way for very high risk people to stay safe.

Edited by TNcruising02