Virus numbers going up in FL

jakeT

7 minutes ago, jakeT said:

With the vast number o f cruises going out of FL.  Do you think this is going to be a major setback?

will states band people from FL flying into there state ?

Not sure what other states will do.  Each state is different.

In FL the Governor has stated he is not relocking down.  Increase is due primarily to increased testing amongst at risk population, and the actions of 20-somethings like gathering in larger than recommended numbers in bars.

• Like 1

If you watched Florida’s governor is meeting the other day he stated the numbers are going up mostly because of the migrant workers on all the farms are testing positive But with no symptoms they also testing jails and correction facilities which send the numbers up They tested 100 migrant workers at a watermelon form and 90 tested positive with no symptoms He also stated that if he went through a drive-through testing it would take a week to get 90 positive test results that’s why has no intention of shutting Florida down he wants to return to normal this is from Tuesday’s Governors press conference

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, NJEMT29 said:

If you watched Florida’s governor is meeting the other day he stated the numbers are going up mostly because of the migrant workers on all the farms are testing positive But with no symptoms they also testing jails and correction facilities which send the numbers up They tested 100 migrant workers at a watermelon form and 90 tested positive with no symptoms He also stated that if he went through a drive-through testing it would take a week to get 90 positive test results that’s why has no intention of shutting Florida down he wants to return to normal this is from Tuesday’s Governors press conference

IMHO a Darwin result, these migrants are probably a hardy people, wait till they mingle with the not so hardy people in some supermarket, at the park, bar/restaurant, all maskless and we'll have another wave into ICU.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

The age of infected has dropped dramatically which is interesting. But the number of cases isn’t the important number. It’s if the hospitals run out of beds that will be the issue.

And before anyone says, well, people are going to die even if hospitals aren’t overrun, that is true. But anyone who gets the virus at this point got it either through their own actions, or are in an assisted living situations. So if you don’t want to get it, stay home and don’t let anyone in your home.

So, let’s start cruising again.

Don't forget all those deaths and excessive deaths happened with OUT any hospital bed overrun nor without ventilators.  For the most part the deaths were people that were going to die when exposed.

Estimates are the US death rate is from between 4-10% of the population exposed, NYC what was it 25%, so scale up the number for the US by 5x for NYC like deaths, and then assume that will continue till we get to herd levels at 70%, maybe in a year and half, or maybe quicker as we open up by Christmas.    Yup let's go cruising by December, herd exposure on ship 70% not a problem, the issue is getting from 5% of population exposure to 70%.

BTW you read of the person recently having COVDID, testing postive, donating plasma and now in hospital again for COVID.  So even herd at 70% could be problematic of some to a large portion of the exposed population

3 hours ago, jakeT said:

With the vast number o f cruises going out of FL.  Do you think this is going to be a major setback?

will states band people from FL flying into there state ?

I would expect virus numbers to go up everywhere. Testing has increased. That includes Florida. Just going to the market you now pass 3 different locations with signs. Virus testing. Drive up. None of this concerns me the least bit. Just because someone has contacted the virus does not mean much, if, they are a healthy individual. Most all who died from it had underlying problems.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Don't forget all those deaths and excessive deaths happened with OUT any hospital bed overrun nor without ventilators.  For the most part the deaths were people that were going to die when exposed.

Estimates are the US death rate is from between 4-10% of the population exposed, NYC what was it 25%, so scale up the number for the US by 5x for NYC like deaths, and then assume that will continue till we get to herd levels at 70%, maybe in a year and half, or maybe quicker as we open up by Christmas.    Yup let's go cruising by December, herd exposure on ship 70% not a problem, the issue is getting from 5% of population exposure to 70%.

BTW you read of the person recently having COVDID, testing postive, donating plasma and now in hospital again for COVID.  So even herd at 70% could be problematic of some to a large portion of the exposed population

We know who the vulnerable population is. You know it, I know it, Bob Dole knows it. So for those people, take whatever precautions you need to.

But for those of us who want to live our lives, live our lives. We all take risks in life. Life is one big risk.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Most all who died from it had underlying problems.

That very possibly had contact with the "healthy individuals" you tout that had the virus, symptomatic or asymptomatic. 

Deaths are trending down, good.  Cases are trending up...so what?  Remember, for the vast, vast majority of people, C19 is practically a non-issue.  Also, Florida does not correlate numbers of test with results.

Florida is opening up.  What did everyone think would happen?  The point of the Stay-at-Home orders was to Flatten the Curve for healthcare demand.  So far, the curve still isn't peaking and hospital capacity is not under pressure.

Florida from the beginning has been protecting the most vulnerable, good.  Everyone else is getting back to life.  If that means being sick for a few days, they don't seem too worried.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Florida is opening up.  What did everyone think would happen?  The point of the Stay-at-Home orders was to Flatten the Curve for healthcare demand.  So far, the curve still isn't peaking and hospital capacity is not under pressure.

We are no longer in flu season. It too, will return.

The curve may have flattened, but is now just a plateau, instead of continuing to decline. Without a vaccine or effective treatment, the virus will haunt the US forever. Meanwhile the rest of the world is recovering.

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The curve may have flattened, but is now just a plateau, instead of continuing to decline. Without a vaccine or effective treatment, the virus will haunt the US forever. Meanwhile the rest of the world is recovering.

The rest of the world is in the exact same position.  This is in no way at all a US only problem.

The virus isn't going anywhere, ever.  It's a pure fantasy to think it will or the number of cases will magically go down.  Heard immunity requires a lot more people recover and to recover, you have to get it.

The more cases and recoveries, the better for cruising because it means more immune people and any infections related to cruising will be statistically insignificant compared to the general population.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Being reactive instead of proactive is why the US leads the world in deaths and lags in recovery. Along with too many people thinking Me Me Me and not Us Us Us. Darwin is smiling.

Can't be further from the truth.  US is currently #9 in fatality ratio and only leads in number of cases because of our massive testing infrastructure.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, boatseller said:

The rest of the world is in the exact same position.  This is in no way at all a US only problem.

The virus isn't going anywhere, ever.  It's a pure fantasy to think it will or the number of cases will magically go down.  Heard immunity requires a lot more people recover and to recover, you have to get it.

The more cases and recoveries, the better for cruising because it means more immune people and any infections related to cruising will be statistically insignificant compared to the general population.

Denying only makes the problem worse. Covid-19 is not fading away in the US.

As an example

104295231_2549498075314734_2216585833554

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Nice straw man argument there. Who said I wouldn’t wear a mask?

I know, right?  They think follow the guidance and get back to life is the same as smearing ccv infected snot over everything you touch.

I'm perfectly fine with whatever guidance the proprietor has in place.  The major theme parks require face coverings, the smaller ones, where distancing is easier, don't.  I'll follow whatever rules they have.

• Like 2

The bottom line is that people deserve to be able to live their lives without being locked in their houses.  Vulnerable people should stay home as long as they deem necessary.  Everyone else should be able to decide for themselves what their risk is and take the precautions they deem necessary.  It's obvious from what's happened in the past month that people will decide when to take risks.  This is a virus and there is no stopping it.  It will need to run its course.  In my opinion, that will happen much quicker if things can open up.

As testing increases, so do the number of positive cases.  Unless hospitals are overwhelmed and can't handle the hospitalizations, then I hope everything opens up.  Vulnerable people can stay inside for the next year, if that's what they want to do.  Expecting other people to behave a certain way is not realistic.  People should protect their own health and accept responsibility for their own health.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

https://news.wjct.org/post/uf-health-jacksonville-icu-full-over-75-icu-beds-occupied-statewide?fbclid=IwAR2fMWFKOPYEiFuzHqG_lyv2IgdBPlgE6133vspADRPL_yzjHi7Cir_z2uc

Here’s the problem, hospitals are going to be unable to care for all those that are going to need intensive care if we keep up these rates. It has been proven that the wearing of masks in public nearly stops Covid in it’s tracks.  People bitched and moaned about having to wear seatbelts when they first became mandatory, I wish mask wearing in public was mandatory, the countries that have complied are having the lowest rates of infections and spread.  I strongly suspect the CDC will not allow cruising until we get some sort of control here in FL and other port states.  

Our 25 year old employee has been fighting Covid for 6 weeks now, mostly flat on her back in bed on oxygen. She just spent her first very short day outside soaking up some much needed sun. Her muscles have atrophied quite a bit and her doctor is suggesting that if she can return to work by end of July she will be lucky. 

I suspect that many that haven’t been personally affected or know someone they just don’t care about others problems in our self centered society. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Wrong. That's not what TNcruising was saying at all. What they were saying is, the number of positive cases has increased in many places because the tests being performed has increased. People that weren't known to have it, so they weren't a part of the case count, are now getting tested and discovering they have it.

Yes, that is what I meant.  I thought it was obvious, but I guess not.  I'm not sure why it's so hard for some people to understand that as people with mild to no symptoms get tested, the counts will go up.  Previously, only people with severe symptoms were tested, even though there were people out there who had the virus and weren't counted in the stats because they weren't tested.

Edited by TNcruising02

36 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

Let's see how big of a fit Orange County throws on this one.... 🙄

Orange County FL (Orlando) now too - they have made masks mandatory starting Saturday at 12:01 am 😉

"The mandate, which also applies to the city of Orlando, states that every person either working, living or visiting must wear a mask in public starting Saturday".

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/face-masks-required-orange-county-beginning-saturday/SRVA7JX7PJCINK7ISPABIDH3BA/

• Like 1

This thread may last another 30 minutes....it's not about California, New York or grannys shopping habits. I let this stay against my better judgement because cruises depart from FL. Whether it goes now is up to you guys...on topic, respectful and please can the gloom and doom posts ....it's bad..period.  Thank you

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1