Photos: A Yacht crashs into the Viking Orion!!

Kiwi_cruiser

Early in the year, I went down to watch the Viking Orion depart from Auckland, New Zealand, as I had not seen her in Auckland before.

As the Viking Orion started to depart from Princes Wharf, in a yacht sailing in to her!!  😮 - 7th March 2020.

Here are the photos of the crash:

IMG_9281.jpg

IMG_9287.jpg

IMG_9289.jpg

IMG_9292.jpg

IMG_9293.jpg

IMG_9295.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

IMG_9297.jpg

IMG_9299.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

Here is the video I did off the crash:

The yachtie and the Viking Orion was OK.

14 hours ago, philw1776 said:

And all this time I thought that I was the worst yachtsman on this ocean planet...
No more!

Phil - this chap wasn't even close, have seen them running same course and then alter right across the bow while we were doing 20 kts. I've seen a few of them that have been so close they disappeared from view ahead, with us watching the other side to ensure they made it across.

Could almost write a book on sailboat interactions.😀

I'll bet Jim has a few tales as well.

• Like 3

A somewhat clear explanation of the Rules of The Road for sailboats.  For those wanting the word as it comes down from the mount, go to the U. S. Code of Federal Regulations covering Navigation Rules.  But for those of us workers and former workers in the business of managing large chunks of steel around the planet, our brothers in the Bahamas have distilled the Rules of the Road into more useable form.  Bahamian Rules:  Da biggest ship got the right o way Mon...😎

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiprf_VmJPqAhVFJzQIHdteDiwQFjAMegQIBBAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwow.uscgaux.info%2FUploads_wowII%2F095-45-01%2FRules_of_the_Road_for_Sailboats.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3fLjTCwRblerUAx2BOIViq

• Like 3

And yes, Andy, we all have more than a few.  One pops to mind concerning a large tanker arriving in port with an aluminum mast, complete with raggedy sails, bent nicely around the stowed bow anchor.  No sign of a boat and of course no one 1,000 ft aft heard any collision with an oversized bleach bottle....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

But for those of us workers and former workers in the business of managing large chunks of steel around the planet, our brothers in the Bahamas have distilled the Rules of the Road into more useable form.  Bahamian Rules:  Da biggest ship got the right o way Mon...😎

Jim - we used the equally concise Russian version - "Mightiest is rightiest" and on our coast we were the mightiest.😁

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FredT said:

Sorry, but this thread SHOULD have been titled " A sailing skiff bumps into the Viking Orion...

Sheeeesh!  

Right Fred.  When I first read the title, I had an image of some Billionaire's Megayacht crashing into the big steel wall.😳

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Right Fred.  When I first read the title, I had an image of some Billionaire's Megayacht crashing into the big steel wall.😳

Same reaction here...I envisioned this luxurious, 75-ft. vessel demolishing itself against the side of a cruise ship. In my estimation - all totally planned to see how close he could get. I wouldn't do it.  

Stuff like this always reminds me of when I was on one of those canal tour boats in Amsterdam. We were making our way towards one of the bridges - fairly hard right turn. Some smaller boat with a few young people (who may have had just a few too many tokes, if ya know what I mean judging from the smell anyway) were coming the other way and turned left into us....as in...literally. No damage to either, but most amazing part was how they gave us a little unexpected salute on the way by. And no...not this particular combination of fingers...🖖

Edited by OnTheJourney

18 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Bahamian Rules:  Da biggest ship got the right o way Mon...😎

When I was with NCL, we had USCG doing a crew drill, and they asked a Jamaican bar tender; "how many lifeboats does the ship have?"   Answer:  "Yah, mon, we got plenty lifeboats".

• Like 2

LOL...Doesn't matter what you say or ask down there....virtually every other sentence or question is prefaced by 'yah mon'...always found it to be rather humorous. Did a glass-bottom boat excursion one time (biggest rip off ever - I don't think the underwater viewing areas had been cleaned in the last 10 years, so could hardly see anything!) and I swear the captain / guide used that expression a hundred or more times in the space of the approx. 2-hour tour. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On active duty in the US Navy, my LST was departing Charleston SC and a sailing surfboard got too close to us, unnecessarily.

The owner sued the Navy over the incident and I believe the case was dismissed.  We had right of way as I understood at the time.  I was at sea detail in the engine room as engineer officer so didn't see the incident.

We were on board Orion when this event took place.  Honestly, wouldn’t call it a yacht or a crash.  The poor guy piloting the blue (tug) boat was going crazy trying to keep the small boat from drifting into Orion.  Enjoyed our time in Auckland.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 4:51 AM, FredT said:

Sorry, but this thread SHOULD have been titled " A sailing skiff bumps into the Viking Orion...

Sheeeesh!  

Sorry, here in New Zealand we call them yacht's, in the USA you might call them different 🙂

Curler Rob...we also sail on Lake St. Clair....one of our favorite things to do is anchor out next to Peche Island....NOT this year we can't even sail into Canadian waters without being shooed away!  Strange times for sure. 

Always know that "rule of tonnage". takes precedence with those freighters!!!