CLIA members extend cruise suspension to September 15

marinaro44

I would not go to a Florida now. However, the people living there want out. Friends in Florida are heading out of state.  They are bringing the virus north. Cruising could be very attractive to Floridians who are trying to avoid the virus.  If they would follow guidelines...wear masks, social distance, stay home....., the virus may not spread to new areas.  

16 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I would not go to a Florida now. However, the people living there want out. Friends in Florida are heading out of state.  They are bringing the virus north. Cruising could be very attractive to Floridians who are trying to avoid the virus.  If they would follow guidelines...wear masks, social distance, stay home....., the virus may not spread to new areas.  

Sorry but thats the very reason I do not want to cruise now, I don't want to be on a ship with anyone fleeing the virus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Sorry but thats the very reason I do not want to cruise now, I don't want to be on a ship with anyone fleeing the virus

Absolutely agree!

@Redtravel 

"If they would follow guidelines...wear masks, social distance, stay home....., the virus may not spread to new areas."

Unfortunately those guidelines are not well followed in many parts of USA and that is reflected in the daily figures of Covid-19.

• Like 3

I know people who go out to eat without masks. They have cross state lines.  I am willing to wear a mask just to go To Drs, eat etc. I do not understand why They will not. I hope to sail out of FL  bit it will be months.

anne, I would be careful of holiday hotels as that is where people from states will go to get away from winter,

• Like 1

Australia’s Prime Minister has said repeatedly not to expect Australia’s borders to re-open before 2021 yet many cruise lines are still selling AU/NZ cruises this side of Christmas and taking deposits.  Just one example.  

I would be highly surprised if any ships sail anywhere this year.  Just assembling a crew is all but impossible with border restrictions and a total lack of international flights. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Australia’s Prime Minister has said repeatedly not to expect Australia’s borders to re-open before 2021 yet many cruise lines are still selling AU/NZ cruises this side of Christmas and taking deposits.  Just one example.  

I would be highly surprised if any ships sail anywhere this year.  Just assembling a crew is all but impossible with border restrictions and a total lack of international flights. 

I agree Floris.  

I am so sorry for the officers and crew in all of this.  

As regards guests, we need to be patient, be thankful for what we have and enjoy whatever is available to us close to home. (We might even be surprised at what we find or see or what new skills we discover).  As for cruising, eating out, going to bars, having beauty treatments these ain’t essential they are desirable and in some countries unattainable just now (like here). 

One day things might change but in the meantime patience is a virtue we need to employ in buckets. 

(and my bread making has improved beyond recognition). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, uktog said:

I am so sorry for the officers and crew in all of this.  

As regards guests, we need to be patient, be thankful for what we have and enjoy whatever is available to us close to home.

Hi Anne, jumped into Az on a horrid wet day where we live! Little did we know, back in December, when we met you on Journey, that our 2020 cruises would be scuppered. We feel blessed that we were able to enjoy that cruise so recently....although it does feel a lifetime away!

I agree, this is the time to enjoy all we have on our doorstep in such a beautiful country. Hope you and Charles are keeping well in these strange times.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 3:06 PM, Redtravel said:

We live 40 miles NE of Tampa and don't "want out."  Very safe and secure where we are on the Florida hills, 800 home gated community with two golf courses.  Decent shopping within 5-10 miles and all the shopping you could want within 20 miles.  County has low novel coronavirus infection rate, and most of that is on the west side in the denser populated coast.  No - we'll stay here - Thanks

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We live 40 miles NE of Tampa and don't "want out."  Very safe and secure where we are on the Florida hills, 800 home gated community with two golf courses.  Decent shopping within 5-10 miles and all the shopping you could want within 20 miles.  County has low novel coronavirus infection rate, and most of that is on the west side in the denser populated coast.  No - we'll stay here - Thanks

Nice that you are in a safe area.  In the Miami and east coast areas, that is not stable. Cases are increasing.  My friends who have 2 houses, stayed in their Florida homes until now.  They usually head north in April and stay in NJ for the spring and summer.  Since NJ was so terrible for the past few months, they stayed in Florida.  Now that it has reversed with fewer new cases of covid in NJ, they are heading north.  There are still new cases, just now huge numbers.  Death rate has also gone down.The past 3+ months have been scary being in NJ.  We are open again with restrictions.  Still most places are closed. Many will never reopen.  While the stay at home order is past, we stay home.  Stay safe. Just pray that the virus doesn't migrate to your area. 

We would love to go to our second home but can't but our gardener has been able to take a team to the house and stay for a week and work. He got permission from the Police. We live in Manchester and the house is overlooking Lake Windermere just 90 minutes drive away. 

• Like 2

New Zealand has also extended its blanket bans on cruise ships arriving there until the end of September, not a time Azamara would be going but indicative of their long term thinking. 

• Like 1

Just read on destination blog a piece from favourite bar man Dale.

It is not clear if he is still sailing with Azamara but he is about the only thing that would persuade me to part with money for Azamara. at the moment

I thought he and Victor retired a little while ago

Cannot link to page currently  dated 18 June but banner headline on the page details covid suspension to 20 May.

I think they should have kept Bonnie and furloughed the proof reader/website editor as it is obvious they are not doing their job properly..

Edited by procter
clarity

20 minutes ago, procter said:

Just read on destination blog a piece from favourite bar man Dale.

It is not clear if he is still sailing with Azamara but he is about the only thing that would persuade me to part with money for Azamara. at the moment

I thought he and Victor retired a little while ago

Cannot link to page currently  dated 18 June but banner headline on the page details covid suspension to 20 May.

I think they should have kept Bonnie and furloughed the proof reader/website editor as it is obvious they are not doing their job properly..

It’s a strange piece of PR that.  Dale left (maybe temporarily) two years ago and certainly wasn’t onboard up to February 2020. 

Oh I agree no 1 concern Dale, his wider family and all his colleagues. 
However given he’s been off the ships for so long if it is artistic licence I’m truly shocked they’ve stooped so low. I hope there is appropriate clarification and I will happily withdraw my remarks if he was a serving employee when lockdown began. 

Edited by uktog

6 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Interesting that you are allowed to travel between 2 houses you own in the USA. In the UK this is still not allowed.

Here in Vermont, if you arrive from out of state to your second home here, you are required to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival. Restrictions vary from state to state.

Edited by Mackdogmolly
Additional info

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Here in Vermont, if you arrive from out of state to your second home here, you are required to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival. Restrictions vary from state to state.

Florida's governor has suggested that he will do similar to New Yorker snowbirds.  Not for health reasons but as reciprocity for New York's early quarantine.  Florida currently has the a very high COVID-19 infection rate spiking higher every day.  Beaches and bars are open and masks are optional.  Come on down!

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Florida's governor has suggested that he will do similar to New Yorker snowbirds.  Not for health reasons but as reciprocity for New York's early quarantine.  Florida currently has the a very high COVID-19 infection rate spiking higher every day.  Beaches and bars are open and masks are optional.  Come on down!

No thanks!! Infection rate is very low here. Our (Republican) governor takes his guidance from our Health Commissioner, who has taken a very conservative approach. And it has worked out very well for us.

• Like 2