CLIA puts hold on cruising from USA until September 15th

pumpkin 11

3 minutes ago, Pirateguy said:

There are plenty forums to discuss COVID 19 and all it’s complexities

This forum should be talking mainly about cruising , this forum is titled around cruising being suspended yet most contributions talk 100% about medical matters 

What specifically would you like to discuss? There are a good many threads, with varying numbers of posts touching on COVID-19. Simply skip over the ones that you think are too centred on COVID-19, or better yet, start a new thread on a topic of interest unrelated to the pandemic. Dress code? Chair hogs? Oops, not chair hogs, because that will lead to discussions on social distancing once cruising restarts...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

It is and Covid-19 affects cruising in a very significant way. Although I do find some of the comments crossing the political lines. You can almost tell from some of the comments who supports and opposes Trump.

COVID shouldn't have any effect on cruising. But it also shouldn't have an effect on closing nail salons yet here we are...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

This article discusses the misleading spike in Florida cases 

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/horowitz-ways-media-misleading-record-spike-florida/

7 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Let's leave politics out of it, ok?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have reluctantly cancelled our early October cruise on Silhouette. Spanish ports closed indefinitely and as an asthmatic don't want to be a guinea pig for cruises coming back - if they do. Took the decision now before final payment.

19 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Sorry to keep veering off topic, but your post brought to mind something I heard on the news this morning. Found out the information was published four days ago.

A new study from China showed that antibodies faded quickly in both asymptomatic and symptomatic COVID-19 patients during convalescence, raising questions about whether the illness leads to any lasting immunity to the virus afterward.

The study, which focused on 37 asymptomatic and 37 symptomatic patients, showed that more than 90% of both groups showed steep declines in levels of SARS-COV-2–specific immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies within 2 to 3 months after onset of infection, according to a report published yesterday in Nature Medicine. Further, 40% of the asymptomatic group tested negative for IgG antibodies 8 weeks after they were released from isolation.

The authors said the findings suggest that it could be risky to assume that recovered patients are immune to reinfection, which may have implications for how long to maintain physical distancing restrictions.

C-Dragons, thanks for the reference!  I will take a look.  If we lose antibodies after a few weeks to months that might not be a critical blow.  As long as we ramp up again quickly once exposed again.  This is pretty much the standard humeral immune response.  This is a reason that we occasionally need booster vaccines.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pirateguy said:

I thought this was a cruise forum ??

Sorry Pirateguy but you are correct.  There is no reason to read any of our posts that are more virus and medical related.  Your choice.  But as I am one of the medically oriented posters I will give you my reasons for posting.  I find it refreshing to have these discussions here with some medical and scientific people with good insight who are also passionate about cruising. That is a valuable combination to me anyway for right now.  Where else would we go to discuss the medical aspects of COVID-19 and how it specifically relates to the re-start of cruising, the requirements of cruising going forward, the medically driven new operational procedures, the difficulties of vaccines, etc. etc.  All highly relevant to a lot of us right now.  There is really no other place to have these cruising + medical discussions.  You are new to CC and you can always block any of us to your view if you so wish.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pirateguy said:

There are plenty forums to discuss COVID 19 and all it’s complexities

This forum should be talking mainly about cruising , this forum is titled around cruising being suspended yet most contributions talk 100% about medical matters 

That decision is up to the CC Mods. 

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

What specifically would you like to discuss? There are a good many threads, with varying numbers of posts touching on COVID-19. Simply skip over the ones that you think are too centred on COVID-19, or better yet, start a new thread on a topic of interest unrelated to the pandemic. Dress code? Chair hogs? Oops, not chair hogs, because that will lead to discussions on social distancing once cruising restarts...

I would like to discuss the lack of a quality BOURBON selection on board...or the topless decks way up top that are now gone...mid night chocolate buffet MIA...no skeet shooting off the back of the ship...

44 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I would like to discuss the lack of a quality BOURBON selection on board...or the topless decks way up top that are now gone...mid night chocolate buffet MIA...no skeet shooting off the back of the ship...

Separate threads for each, or are you going to roll them into a single "what I miss about the old days" thread? 🤔

This is an excellent (totally non- political) and easy to understand 28 minute video of two doctors (ER doc and cardiologist) discussing their experiences regarding Covid. They discuss specific flaws in the methodology of the major studies presently being used in determining Covid treatment. Worth watching and can possibly save lives.

23 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:
This is an excellent (totally non- political) and easy to understand 28 minute video of two doctors (ER doc and cardiologist) discussing their experiences regarding Covid. They discuss specific flaws in the methodology of the major studies presently being used in determining Covid treatment. Worth watching and can possibly save lives.

This is nothing more than two opinions which do not match that of other professionals and yes this could be considered political. We all know this history of this drug. 

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Separate threads for each, or are you going to roll them into a single "what I miss about the old days" thread? 🤔

I was on a cruise 30 or so years go that had all those things. I think I was 26. 

Your call.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I was on a cruise 30 or so years go that had all those things. I think I was 26. 

Your call.  🙂

I was on my first cruise 53 years ago. I don’t remember skeet shooting off the back of the ship. But I had my first taste of alcohol, and I was less than half your age. Mother did NOT approve. 😁

Are we ready to do this?

3 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I was on my first cruise 53 years ago. I don’t remember skeet shooting off the back of the ship. But I had my first taste of alcohol, and I was less than half your age. Mother did NOT approve. 😁

Are we ready to do this?

We were on a the NCL "Skyward" in 1977 - and have pictures of us sheet shooting off the back of the ship ! 

Drinks were paid in cash - 50 cents for a beer 😀🤣

5 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

We were on a the NCL "Skyward" in 1977 - and have pictures of us sheet shooting off the back of the ship ! 

We were headed back to Tampa from Cozumel, had to stop the skeet shooting due to a Navy Vessel overtaking us fairly closely..defunct cruise line, name escapes me...now I have to look that up.

Edited by PTC DAWG

10 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

We were supposed to be on NCL's Starward in 1977 to celebrate our  Honeymoon, but it ended up in dry dock and they moved us to the Skyward. Didn’t drink beer, still don’t. But come to think of it, there was Skeet shooting off the back of the ship!

Edited by C-Dragons

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

We were headed back to Tampa from Cozumel, had to stop the skeet shooting due to a Navy Vessel overtaking us fairly closely..defunct cruise line, name escapes me...now I have to look that up.

Perhaps you could start another thread so we could continue this new conversation? 😉

13 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We were supposed to be on NCL's Starward in 1977 to celebrate our  Honeymoon, but it ended up in dry dock and they moved us to the Skyward. Didn’t drink beer, still don’t. But come to think of it, there was Skeet shooting off the back of the ship!

Remember the golf balls flying off the ship?

7 minutes ago, Orator said:

Remember the golf balls flying off the ship?

Yes, I thought it was a waste of perfectly good golf balls.

Think about all the odd things we used to do on cruises. No wonder the seas are so messed up today!

38 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Well, 53 years ago you were probably minus 14 years old.  Much too young to drink.  🤣