Are the World Cruises going ahead this year?

Each year during our Summer cruising season we get to see a collection of cruise ships passing through our waters on their World Cruise . Just wondering if anyone has heard if they will still be going ahead this season ?

Instead of a World Cruise there could be a market for a long  , say100 day , stay put cruise to an area that would welcome them . I am thinking that many of the cruisers are wealthy retired folk who want to escape the Northern Winter , and would be happy to just stay on board and be looked after and entertained . 3 months floating around the Caribbean could quite enjoyable .🛳☺️☺️🛳

• Like 1

Once a bubble is formed with NZ and a number of South Pacific Islands, such as Cook Islands, a cruise around Australia and NZ and the islands, within the bubble, would be wonderful.  No long haul flights!  In the meantime, I'm not renewing my passport until I know where I can travel overseas. 

Edited by MMDown Under

On 6/22/2020 at 8:42 PM, MicCanberra said:

I doubt any world cruises will be even going next year, if they did, there wouldn't be many places to visit.

Too right, my son says South America and Central America will be closed for business for a long, long time.  He is not operating charters for his Antarctic Expedition cruises in the upcoming season, November to March, too risky and he has two boutique hotels in Cusco and Lima, Peru, sitting empty, Disaster for those in the travel business.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Too right, my son says South America and Central America will be closed for business for a long, long time.  He is not operating charters for his Antarctic Expedition cruises in the upcoming season, November to March, too risky and he has two boutique hotels in Cusco and Lima, Peru, sitting empty, Disaster for those in the travel business.

Hopefully we get a 2021/2022 season all around the world

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NSWP said:

Sorry to hear of your son's situation with regard to his Antarctic Expedition cruises and Peru hotels.  No-one could have planned for this pandemic.  Unfortunately, some businesses will be effected for much longer than others.  As you say, a disaster for those in the travel business. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry to hear of your son's situation with regard to his Antarctic Expedition cruises and Peru hotels.  No-one could have planned for this pandemic.  Unfortunately, some businesses will be effected for much longer than others.  As you say, a disaster for those in the travel business. 

Thank you, it will come good, but it will be a lean year or two.  I just returned from seven days out west.  I stayed in Leeton, but visited places like Wagga, Narrandera, Griffith, etc.  I don't think I saw a travel agent with the 'open sign.'   Motels etc are struggling out there too, not much traffic coming through the Newell and Sturt Hwys with South Australia closed to some States. The winery cellar doors out Griffith Way, De Bortoli etc were quiet.  I was last out that way 20 years ago, busier then, halycon days.   Uncle Les donated quite a few dollars out there, accom, food, vino, fuel.🍷

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thank you, it will come good, but it will be a lean year or two.  I just returned from seven days out west.  I stayed in Leeton, but visited places like Wagga, Narrandera, Griffith, etc.  I don't think I saw a travel agent with the 'open sign.'   Motels etc are struggling out there too, not much traffic coming through the Newell and Sturt Hwys with South Australia closed to some States. The winery cellar doors out Griffith Way, De Bortoli etc were quiet.  I was last out that way 20 years ago, busier then, halycon days.   Uncle Les donated quite a few dollars out there, accom, food, vino, fuel.🍷

Good to hear you have been doing some rural travels in NSW.  A good time of year for road trips in the country. Where are you going next?  We used to drive down the Newell Highway to Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open. It was always quiet because everyone was on holidays at the beach.  We used to escape from the heat for lunch at local RSLs.

My neighbours are going camping for a fortnight at Woodgate next month.  We did a day trip to the Sunshine Coast on Tuesday and it was packed with people enjoying the sun and the beach.   SeaWorld at the Gold Coast has reopened in time for Qld school holidays this week.  Local people are attending because they feel safer, with the border closed.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Good to hear you have been doing some rural travels in NSW.  A good time of year for road trips in the country. Where are you going next?  We used to drive down the Newell Highway to Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open. It was always quiet because everyone was on holidays at the beach.  We used to escape from the heat for lunch at local RSLs.

My neighbours are going camping for a fortnight at Woodgate next month.  We did a day trip to the Sunshine Coast on Tuesday and it was packed with people enjoying the sun and the beach.   SeaWorld at the Gold Coast has reopened in time for Qld school holidays this week.  Local people are attending because they feel safer, with the border closed.  

It's good to see people out & about spending money in their own state. We are in north QLD at the moment & the caravan park is packed.

2 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

It's good to see people out & about spending money in their own state. We are in north QLD at the moment & the caravan park is packed.

Good to hear.  i hope all North Qld is doing well during the Qld. school holidays.  Cairns tourism has been badly affected because it is not getting overseas visitors.  

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Good to hear.  i hope all North Qld is doing well during the Qld. school holidays.  Cairns tourism has been badly affected because it is not getting overseas visitors.  

It is gut wrenching walking through the ghost town Cairns city has become, to help out our local tourism traders we are taking advantage of the great specials for locals ...kind of nice playing tourist ..... It all helps.

14 hours ago, badgerbill said:

It is gut wrenching walking through the ghost town Cairns city has become, to help out our local tourism traders we are taking advantage of the great specials for locals ...kind of nice playing tourist ..... It all helps.

I know someone who has left Cairns after 16 years in the tourism industry, because Cairns is like a ghost town.

Pleased to hear that you are taking advantage of the great specials for locals and being a tourist in your new home.  I used to be envious of my Mackay cousins who got great local specials to the islands. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, badgerbill said:

All tourist towns are hurting .Its carnage at Queenstown as they relied heavily on overseas visitors coming through their International airport .Hopefully the skiing season which is just starting will help give them a boost . Other spots such as Bay of Islands s ,Rotorua and Tauranga  cater to a good local trade . ......they are all offering great specials as well .

And a lot of business people at the cruise ports in NZ invested money into their businesses to attract and cater for the tourists, like cafes, shops etc..  For example, the tour operators with their four wheel drive vehicles or boat operators. They must hurting too with their loans.

Edited by NSWP

I live in the Caribbean and as it looks right now it will be only by the end of 2020 that Tourists will be allowed in most of the islands and not sure whether that will include Cruise ships. I have booked a World Cruise for January 2022 and am already worried whether that will happen with what is going on in the US with spread of the virus.  I have booked Costa and they are not stopping in any US-port, so maybe we have a chance. As far as the Caribbean Islands are concerned, right now we will only be able to do excursions in our own islands, other islands might not be open yet or require 2 weeks quarantine.