More cancelstions

crusinbanjo

It was posted on the Holland America board that HAL and Seabourn, both CCL lines are extending the operational pause until the end of November.  Not sure were this info came from, as he did not cite his source, but thought it worthy to pass along.  Maybe it can be verified or proven to be just rumors.

Himself (the poster) is a priest who does may HAL cruises as the chaplain onboard. However, I just went back to the HAL board and can't find the original post for some reason...........

We shall see what is afoot, but wouldn't be too surprising, I think. 

7 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

It was posted on the Holland America board that HAL and Seabourn, both CCL lines are extending the operational pause until the end of November.  Not sure were this info came from, as he did not cite his source, but thought it worthy to pass along.  Maybe it can be verified or proven to be just rumors.

The Seabourn website has had that information.  Seabourn cruise pause through October, November 2020.

Given that Seabourn (other cruise lines are available) must plan several months ahead, and given the total uncertainty vis-a-vis flights, ports of call etc, especially in the Americas, I really cannot see any cruises being run until deep into 2021.  I now believe the Quest's last trip to Antarctica was the Quest's last trip to Antarctica. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Given that Seabourn (other cruise lines are available) must plan several months ahead, and given the total uncertainty vis-a-vis flights, ports of call etc, especially in the Americas, I really cannot see any cruises being run until deep into 2021.  I now believe the Quest's last trip to Antarctica was the Quest's last trip to Antarctica. 

That's too bad, we were on that last sailing when our onward journey to Brazil was cut short by the pandemic on March 15.  We so enjoyed our second trip to the Antartic on the Quest we were considering the March 2021 cruise that includes So. Georgia.

The Quest Antartica voyage is the best of all trips we looked at.  We have been on the 100 passenger expedition cruises (not Antartica) and the 2+ landings per day are frankly exhausting coupled with a decidedly less comfortable voyage.  I just read through the Scenic Eclipse maiden voyage to Antartica thread as I thought it or the Venture might be an alternative but the smaller ships crammed with entitled cruisers vying for too few helo/sub rides is not appealing at all.

DSC05551.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Boy - you are just a barrel of optimism.  I believe just a couple of days ago you were toying with the idea of booking a Feb 2021 cruise to Antarctica.  Unless of course you consider Feb 2021 "deep".  Everything is so sad and unsettled, can we please not throw out "guesses" that just causes more consternation.  Frankly, you don't have a clue.

3 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Boy - you are just a barrel of optimism.  I believe just a couple of days ago you were toying with the idea of booking a Feb 2021 cruise to Antarctica.  Unless of course you consider Feb 2021 "deep".  Everything is so sad and unsettled, can we please not throw out "guesses" that just causes more consternation.  Frankly, you don't have a clue.

What I said was this -

"I have been toying with the idea of making a return trip from Santiago to Buenos Aires via South Georgia aboard the Quest but I agree the situation at the moment is far too uncertain.  I will be closely monitoring the situation." 

I don't see much of a contradiction and since I wrote that Seabourn has put back its sailings by another month.  As I said, I am monitoring the situation.  It doesn't look good right now.  Affectionately yours, Clueless.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I have read just now that the EU may ban American travelers from its countries due to the failure of the United States to deal effectively with the Covid-19 virus.  Of course this could affect anyone from the United States planning to cruise in Europe or vacation there.  And since a large number of passengers on Seabourn hail from the United States, this could spell further trouble for the cruise line. 

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I don't see much of a contradiction and since I wrote that Seabourn has put back its sailings by another month. 

Is there a press release or official announcement out on that yet?  If so, I’m hoping someone will post it here as it’s not yet on the website.

Ponant have just published an extensive description of their new Covid protocols for passengers who book one of their cruises.  To summarise - all pax need a signed medical certificate before boarding; daily medical checks on board; pax must wear masks (provided) in corridors and urged to wear them elsewhere; no buffets; contactless dining, whatever that means; thorough medical checks on boarding after shore excursions; loads more stuff to make this a rather unpleasant experience.  Seabourn may well be planning something similar.  Full details, in English, are here -

https://fr.calameo.com/read/00013242371fe0f908d85?authid=ekgNT5Wj7RSN

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Ponant have just published an extensive description of their new Covid protocols for passengers who book one of their cruises.  To summarise - all pax need a signed medical certificate before boarding; daily medical checks on board; pax must wear masks (provided) in corridors and urged to wear them elsewhere; no buffets; contactless dining, whatever that means; thorough medical checks on boarding after shore excursions; loads more stuff to make this a rather unpleasant experience.  Seabourn may well be planning something similar.  Full details, in English, are here -

Fletcher, thank you for this link.  I took 2 Ponant cruises several years ago.  Small ships and therefore easier to implement the protocols, in my opinion.  I expect and support similar protocols from Seabourn, but it certainly changes, maybe forever, my view of cruising as an exciting, fun, carefree, pampered experience.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Sensible measures I'm sure, but not for me. Apparently I don't love cruising as much as I had thought as I wouldn't voluntarily subject myself, on a holiday, to what is described.

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

This is on there:

A9F741AD-A59B-41E6-B878-9BAA4F11A28C.jpeg

That was announced on May 6 and was and extension of the original three month pause.  

The post I was referring to implied that they’d just pushed back another month within the last few days.  That has indeed been rumored for both HAL and Seabourn but I still have yet to see it in writing.

9 hours ago, Fletcher said:

To summarise - all pax need a signed medical certificate before boarding; daily medical checks on board; pax must wear masks (provided) in corridors and urged to wear them elsewhere; no buffets; contactless dining, whatever that means; thorough medical checks on boarding after shore excursions; loads more stuff to make this a rather unpleasant experience.  Seabourn may well be planning something similar. 

We're staying on the sidelines until Seabourn announces their measures and we know what we're buying.  We have no interest in sailing on a hospital ship with an open bar!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

We're staying on the sidelines until Seabourn announces their measures and we know what we're buying.  We have no interest in sailing on a hospital ship with an open bar!

We  agree with you MIghtyQuinn.  We are still in stay at home mode as cases of Covid-19 surge in Texas.  We're not going anywhere anytime soon.  Currently we are at 104 days of staying at home due to the virus.  If the EU bans American travelers, who knows what that will mean for the cruise industry or how long it will last.  It is such a sad shame that the United States has not followed recommended guidelines from experts.  Instead, we are into exponential spreading of the virus (yes, that is official).  We love cruising and hope to do it again, but right now, we are figuring out family logistics and trying to stay well.  I hope future cruises work well for those of you from the UK and AU as we Americans languish in a land of denial.  We truly miss travel and are hopeful all of this will be resolved.  Let's be hopeful!  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

We  agree with you MIghtyQuinn.  We are still in stay at home mode as cases of Covid-19 surge in Texas.  We're not going anywhere anytime soon.  Currently we are at 104 days of staying at home due to the virus.  If the EU bans American travelers, who knows what that will mean for the cruise industry or how long it will last.  It is such a sad shame that the United States has not followed recommended guidelines from experts.  Instead, we are into exponential spreading of the virus (yes, that is official).  We love cruising and hope to do it again, but right now, we are figuring out family logistics and trying to stay well.  I hope future cruises work well for those of you from the UK and AU as we Americans languish in a land of denial.  We truly miss travel and are hopeful all of this will be resolved.  Let's be hopeful!  

Truly shame on us. It seems that everyone else in the world (well, maybe except for Brazil & Russia) has figured out how to curb this virus and we, who used to be called the world leaders, are fumbling with it so badly without a resolution in sight.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

It is such a sad shame that the United States has not followed recommended guidelines from experts.  Instead, we are into exponential spreading of the virus (yes, that is official).  We love cruising and hope to do it again, but right now, we are figuring out family logistics and trying to stay well.  I hope future cruises work well for those of you from the UK and AU as we Americans languish in a land of denial. 

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Truly shame on us. It seems that everyone else in the world (well, maybe except for Brazil & Russia) has figured out how to curb this virus and we, who used to be called the world leaders, are fumbling with it so badly without a resolution in sight.

It certainly is sad to see what is happening in the US.  From my perch across the northern border, it seems that individual rights and freedoms are being pitted against heath and safety in a zero-sum game.  Here in BC we are guided by our Provincial Health Officer (PHO) in our covid response.  Our political leaders and the general public have listened to her.  So far, we collectively have done a remarkable job in flattening the curve without drastic measures. 

As an aside, our PHO was recently profiled in a NYT article as "The Top Doctor Who Aced The Coronavirus Test".   https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/world/canada/bonnie-henry-british-columbia-coronavirus.html

Americans are a vital demographic for cruise lines and travel operators.  I suspect that many cruise lines, including Seabourn and other luxury lines, would not be viable without having Americans to fill their ships.  As long as the US continues to struggle to contain covid and Americans face potential travel restrictions, I fear that cruising will be severely impacted for others, not just for those in the US.  

• Like 3

so from my perch... the USA is in another league as far as testing - almost 30m (russia 17m) and all the other countries far behind. many other countries are now using the testing technology that the USA so rapidly developed. the USA has successfully created manufacturing of hundreds of thousands of ventilators which we are now sharing with other nations who can't do what we do. we are also sending a lot of $$$ to lesser fortunate countries. and it's a safe bet that the first vaccine will come from the US as a result of our "warp speed' program which is a creative approach that will for the first time allow a vaccine to be created this quickly (dr. fauci words - not me saying this).

as for our response to the virus - we are a diverse country of over 330m people with large borders and 50 individual entities that govern themselves - and most importantly we have something we treasure called "freedom".

see attached chart - our death rate is declining nicely, average age of positive test has dropped in half. this is exactly how the virus is supposed to behave as it resolves itself. # of positive test results are meaningless 

i know it's fashionable to knock the USA - but wise people know better

download (5).png

• Like 1

Seas_The_Day,  thank you for your post explaining some pertinent facts and statistics. It's terrible that so many people have died from Covid-19 everywhere, but as the number of positive cases has risen here, the fatality rate has fallen dramatically.  In the US it's now just a bit over 5%.  In Canada that rate is approx. 8.3% and in the UK it's about 14%.  As I said all deaths are tragic as are the thousands who die each year of influenza.

3 hours ago, Sunviking said:

It's terrible that so many people have died from Covid-19 everywhere, but as the number of positive cases has risen here, the fatality rate has fallen dramatically.  In the US it's now just a bit over 5%.  In Canada that rate is approx. 8.3% and in the UK it's about 14%. 

Source?  Below is a graphic from Johns Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center on June 17 which shows global mortality rates per 100,000 population for COVID-19.

mortality-per-100k-johns-hopkins.jpg

• Like 1