Carnival and RCI start-up dates difference

During the last round of cancellations Carnival announced they were planning to resume cruising first on a limited basis on August 1st. Now RCI is planning to resume cruises on September 16th while Carnival is planning on October 1st. I don’t think it is a good sign when the two biggest cruise lines don’t even agree on a start date to resume operations. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

During the last round of cancellations Carnival announced they were planning to resume cruising first on a limited basis on August 1st. Now RCI is planning to resume cruises on September 16th while Carnival is planning on October 1st. I don’t think it is a good sign when the two biggest cruise lines don’t even agree on a start date to resume operations. 

Like many here it's all speculation and it changes weekly.  Some say 1 will sail first and be the "test". 

Not sure I believe that however it's possible. The longer it takes for cruise lines to cancel the longer they can hold on to pax money.

I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks is the Social Distancing thing and how the cruise lines can control that or even if they will try.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

Like many here it's all speculation and it changes weekly.  Some say 1 will sail first and be the "test". 

Not sure I believe that however it's possible. The longer it takes for cruise lines to cancel the longer they can hold on to pax money.

I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks is the Social Distancing thing and how the cruise lines can control that or even if they will try.

I believe that social distancing and mask wearing would be impossible on a cruise. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I believe that social distancing and mask wearing would be impossible on a cruise. 

People can't do it on land ( look at the 12 bars in Texas that are getting their liquor license suspended due to lack  of social distancing), No Way on a cruise ship that can be controlled.

• Like 1

I wouldn't read too much into it. They are just throwing tentative dates out there as a future point to aim for, but it's too far out to judge whether they'll actually be viable dates or not.

Even if they do come to pass, it's certainly plausible that one line might get approval for their Covid plan from the CDC before another line, or one line might take more time to get the needed crew back. Anything like that could easily account on a 2 week difference between when lines eventually start cruises again.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I wouldn't read too much into it. They are just throwing tentative dates out there as a future point to aim for, but it's too far out to judge whether they'll actually be viable dates or not.

Even if they do come to pass, it's certainly plausible that one line might get approval for their Covid plan from the CDC before another line, or one line might take more time to get the needed crew back. Anything like that could easily account on a 2 week difference between when lines eventually start cruises again.

One would think the CDC's plan would apply to all 3 and not 3 separate plans. That right there might be a reason it's taking so long.

NCL, RCI and Carnival probably can't even agree .

I have a BTB scheduled for mid-October.  At this point, I should probably prepare to rebook for next year.  

That is starting to be a challenge as 2021 cruises are priced higher and the ones I want are about full.

Sigh....

Edited by DaisyGirl55
  • Like 1

At this point, these are not start up dates they are planning for.  These are just the dates they have cancelled up to so far.  I doubt either truly thinks they will start then, but they don't want to cancel too far out just in case a restart becomes feasible.

They will continue to cancel in small time increments.

Don

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Cruise ships have elevators that are essential for a majority of passengers. As long as the virus

is active and social distancing is still required I don't believe the CDC is going to lift their No Sail

Order.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

One would think the CDC's plan would apply to all 3 and not 3 separate plans. That right there might be a reason it's taking so long.

NCL, RCI and Carnival probably can't even agree .

And what CDC plan is that? The CDC hasn't even attempted to publish any health and safety plans for the cruise lines. That's why the cruise lines keep canceling cruise, how can you set up and implement your plans if the government agency won't even give you the guidelines?

The October 1 date is very likely to be the restart date... Carnival just made a mistake with August 1. The brand ambassador stated in a live video on Monday that Covid will be gone in October and they will be sailing in October.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Raxter54 said:

And what CDC plan is that? The CDC hasn't even attempted to publish any health and safety plans for the cruise lines. That's why the cruise lines keep canceling cruise, how can you set up and implement your plans if the government agency won't even give you the guidelines?

And how do we know the cruise lines don't have any guidelines, did the cruise lines actually say they don't have any or is it they have them , it's just that they aren't what the cruise lines want to see.

Unless anyone here on CC knows for a fact or belongs to the hierarchy of Cruise lines or CDC we are only speculating.

• Like 2

I don't see how any guidelines can stop a contagious airborne virus on a cruise ship--or at least none that a couple thousand people would follow.  I think they're just cancelling chunks at a time to wait and see what happens, and to limit the amount of processing they have to do for refunds and rebookings.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, naxer said:

I don't see how any guidelines can stop a contagious airborne virus on a cruise ship--or at least none that a couple thousand people would follow.  I think they're just cancelling chunks at a time to wait and see what happens, and to limit the amount of processing they have to do for refunds and rebookings.   

You got that right. Until there is a vaccine and herd immunity I feel no guidelines will be effective on a cruise

ship. I've mentioned this on a few other forums that a major stumbling block is the muster drill. By law they

have to be conducted in a way that social distancing makes impossible.

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

The October 1 date is very likely to be the restart date... Carnival just made a mistake with August 1. The brand ambassador stated in a live video on Monday that Covid will be gone in October and they will be sailing in October.

How in the world does he know that Covid will "be gone" in October???  Seriously.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beerman2 said:

According to Costa they will only fill the ship 50% to help with the distancing including the seating for dining.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

When did JH become the authority on COVID-19?

• Like 2

Who says the virus will be gone by October?  Everything I hear says we will see another outbreak in the fall.  I seriously doubt we will be cruising this year.  I have 2 booked, one in October and one in November.  October is paid in full, November is to be paid by August.  Not sure what I am going to do.

😞

I believe Carnival will continue cancelling cruises as they have been until a vaccine is available or the virus dies out. The die out does not seem likely. While it seemed impossible a couple of months ago, the earliest start time will probably be March / April 2021. Hopefully Carnival can stay afloat. Some cruise lines will not. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Universal theme parks opened a few weeks ago, while Disney just now opened their DVC resorts and won't be opening their parks until mid-July.  They are two of the biggest theme park operators and they didn't agree to a mutual opening time.  Why do expect cruise ship operator to do differently.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

Universal theme parks opened a few weeks ago, while Disney just now opened their DVC resorts and won't be opening their parks until mid-July.  They are two of the biggest theme park operators and they didn't agree to a mutual opening time.  Why do expect cruise ship operator to do differently.

Because theme parks didn’t have to deal with the CDC, which seems more determined as time goes by to kill the cruise industry. 

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I dont think it matters since Imo there will be another round of cancellations. It's just a date of how many refunds have to be processed.

3 hours ago, bamaone said:

I believe Carnival will continue cancelling cruises as they have been until a vaccine is available or the virus dies out. The die out does not seem likely. While it seemed impossible a couple of months ago, the earliest start time will probably be March / April 2021. Hopefully Carnival can stay afloat. Some cruise lines will not. 

I hope waiting for a vaccine isn’t part of their plan. The fastest vaccine ever developed took 4 years for mumps.  To date vaccines have not been developed for recent coronaviruses MERS and SARS. Even vaccines like ones for the flu do not eliminate the possibility of getting the flu. 

• Like 1