Place an imaginary bet here , When will Celebrity start up?

jonthomas

28 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Let Liberia help them out, that's the flag they fly.

That's the flag who flies? Not Celebrity. Their ships are registered in Malta and Ecuador. But just because their ships are registered in a country that does not mean they are not a US company. They pay huge taxes here and provide millions of jobs in the USA. Seattle and Alaska as well as Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Port Canaveral rely very heavily on the cruise industry. Just think what it takes to get you on a ship and all those people who are now out of work. 

This entire (long time) idea that cruise lines are not contributing to the American economy is bunk. 

14 hours ago, wallysdtr said:

Read the article. Still going with Fauci's thoughts (expressed in numerous places) that we will have one by the end of the year. 

And yes, I fully aware of the polio situation in the 50s. My mother was infected and spent months in an iron lung but science now is NOT science in the 50s. And there is another motivation, which is money. The first vaccine that works will be worth a motherlode of cash to what every company develops it. And the Gates Foundation is working on the the infrastructure to distribute the vaccine around the world when it becomes available. 

It is interesting to me that all those who are pessimistic about the vaccine are posting on Cruise Critic. If the cruise lines don't get back into sailing by the first of the year, there may not be any cruise lines to sail on. Most will not be able to survive very far into 2021. 

• Thanks 1

My vote/guess is open for Europe, limited numbers etc etc in Oct 2020.

its based on nothing more than how I see things moving forwards so don’t throw your sarcastic keyboard Warrior “ how did come to this conclusion” line at me!!!!

just my imaginary bet...... I won on a horse once!!😂😂

3 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

That's the flag who flies? Not Celebrity. Their ships are registered in Malta and Ecuador. But just because their ships are registered in a country that does not mean they are not a US company. They pay huge taxes here and provide millions of jobs in the USA. Seattle and Alaska as well as Fort Lauderdale, Miami and Port Canaveral rely very heavily on the cruise industry. Just think what it takes to get you on a ship and all those people who are now out of work. 

This entire (long time) idea that cruise lines are not contributing to the American economy is bunk. 

I said the same thing a couple of months ago. Some individuals, including those in our government, just don’t get it. It's sad because as you mention, they are hurting our local economies and keeping our citizens out of work.

1 hour ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Deaths daily have taken a 72% drop from their peak nationwide as cases have increased (undoubtedly the younger/ healthier are testing positive, more testing ect.). 

At this point I have serious doubts we will have a reliable vaccine for COVID 19 with all this antibody talk, a healthy immune response might not generate antibodies. The important question is whether or not a vaccine is even needed given the low morbidity and mortality of the virus in the vast majority.

Deaths may be down but infections are up. Hospitals are filling. Here in Washington State we have an outbreak in a smaller city (Yakima) which has overpowered the local hospital system and Covid patients are having to be transferred to Seattle. 

As to you second assumption that a vaccine is not needed given the low morbidity and mortality of the virus in the vast majority, you have obviously not lost anyone close to you. Within my small circle of friends one person lost their life-long best friend to Covid. She was 49. She was an ER nurse. Our next door neighbor lost his mother. Lose someone close you and find out how you actually feel about it. That was a horrid thing to say.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Debbiem83 said:

My vote/guess is open for Europe, limited numbers etc etc in Oct 2020.

its based on nothing more than how I see things moving forwards so don’t throw your sarcastic keyboard Warrior “ how did come to this conclusion” line at me!!!!

just my imaginary bet...... I won on a horse once!!😂😂

Hope your horse wins...or at least shows or places. And I actually think you may be close on Europe but with the EU not wanting to let Americans in after our recent surges, that may not help us at all. We have a river cruise paid for in December. Not holding out a lot of hope.

35 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

Deaths may be down but infections are up. Hospitals are filling. Here in Washington State we have an outbreak in a smaller city (Yakima) which has overpowered the local hospital system and Covid patients are having to be transferred to Seattle. 

As to you second assumption that a vaccine is not needed given the low morbidity and mortality of the virus in the vast majority, you have obviously not lost anyone close to you. Within my small circle of friends one person lost their life-long best friend to Covid. She was 49. She was an ER nurse. Our next door neighbor lost his mother. Lose someone close you and find out how you actually feel about it. That was a horrid thing to say.

I keep hearing about hospitals over run, we'll they're not making money if they're below 85% capacity, the extra 15% is for overflow. I'm not sure your numbers but I cannot assume they're over 85% unless you know for sure. Why are you focusing on anecdotal examples then? The deaths have been reduced by over 70 since peak... I'd say we're doing fine

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Why are you focusing on anecdotal examples then? The deaths have been reduced by over 70 since peak... I'd say we're doing fine

I am focusing on them because when it is one of your friends or family, maybe you will feel different. Your attitude about people who die is pretty callous. So we should start cruising again because who cares if some old (or young) people die? WOW.

This virus is not a hoax. Science is science. People are sick. People are dying. About six hundred people are dying every week. If that keeps up, that's three 9/11s per month. Is that any less anecdotal for you? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

I am focusing on them because when it is one of your friends or family, maybe you will feel different. Your attitude about people who die is pretty callous. So we should start cruising again because who cares if some old (or young) people die? WOW.

This virus is not a hoax. Science is science. People are sick. People are dying. About six hundred people are dying every week. If that keeps up, that's three 9/11s per month. Is that any less anecdotal for you? 

No one under 30 died in italy...and of course nothing is discounting those deaths they're horrible and shouldn't have happened. But we live with virus' everyday and life is always risky. The older people are people with issues are more at risk they should isolate if they want to stay safe.

Strange reports out or Arizona where they are counting hospitalization cases as every day someone remains in the hospital, not just once. Suspicious.

Edited by pumpkin 11

2 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

No one under 30 died in italy...and of course nothing is discounting those deaths they're horrible and shouldn't have happened. But we live with virus' everyday and life is always risky. The older people are people with issues are more at risk they should isolate if they want to stay safe.

Strange reports out or Arizona where they are counting hospitalization cases as every day someone remains in the hospital, not just once. Suspicious.

Actually 19 people under 30 died in Italy. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105061/coronavirus-deaths-by-region-in-italy/ And I hate to tell you but about 65% of cruisers are over 60 or immune compromised. 

3 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Ok you got 19... geeeeezz

Does it make the least bit of difference? That's 19 people who have died. And yes, in the USA more and more of the cases are people under 30 who just get sick but before they show symptoms they walk into public places and give it to people who are elderly, have been on chemo or (like me) are on immune-suppressant drugs. They may not die but I will. Some of us value our lives, our family's lives and our friend's lives. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Ok you got 19... geeeeezz

So 19 lives don’t matter? Four of those were under the age of 10. How would you feel if that were your child? Just cannot believe how you think lives of other people don’t matter.

Some people who have gotten sick (even those under the age of 40) have been sick for weeks or months. I was just reading yesterday about people who were declared cured & then got sick all over again. Even our friend who got it (age 41) was not as sick as some but said he didn’t wish it on anyone. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DrKoob said:

The ships are incorporated in Liberia. RCL, the corporation, pays 0 U.S. federal taxes. ( do a Google search if you don’t believe it) I don’t have to think about the workers being out of work, I just have to look around where I live to see that. I don’t recall anybody says cruising doesn’t contribute to the economy.

If they are a U.S. company why don’t they have to pay a livable wage and adhere to the other laws that real U.S. companies do? You can’t pick and choose, either you are or aren’t, and live with it.

If things drag on much longer, this point might be moot. 

Yes I agree, if it goes much longer, there will not be many cruise lines left standing. Really not sure how long they can hang on without revenue. They still have a lot of deposits. Not sure if that many would make final payment without some definite guarantees, like vaccines and trial runs of cruises without masks and distancing. I would not be on a cruise ship with those kinds of restrictions. 

On 6/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, jonthomas said:

I say, first very limited sail will be Jan 2021. A five or seven day, from one US port to another US port. 

Something like, Miami to Miami, with maybe one stop in between. So we will see how wrong I am. I am

expecting to be way out there. We will see who comes the closest.

I would say late November or early December.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Man some pretty self centered folk here. 

I've heard of "dying for the Dow" now I guess we're gonna "die for the right to cruise". 

As if "death panels" weren't bad enough....

5 hours ago, DrKoob said:

Does it make the least bit of difference? That's 19 people who have died. And yes, in the USA more and more of the cases are people under 30 who just get sick but before they show symptoms they walk into public places and give it to people who are elderly, have been on chemo or (like me) are on immune-suppressant drugs. They may not die but I will. Some of us value our lives, our family's lives and our friend's lives. 

Your wasting your time.  Some people just keep drinking the kool-aid.

• Like 3

I just received the latest Enjoy unbeatable value with our limited time sale from Celebrity and they're still at it, selling 2020 cruises from October that aren't going to happen. Does anyone actually think for example, Silhouette is going to be brought across the Atlantic to do an end of season 9 night UK Spain and Portugal cruise on 30 October?  Very shady tactics.