Place an imaginary bet here , When will Celebrity start up?

jonthomas

I say, first very limited sail will be Jan 2021. A five or seven day, from one US port to another US port. 

Something like, Miami to Miami, with maybe one stop in between. So we will see how wrong I am. I am

expecting to be way out there. We will see who comes the closest.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Please explain your optimism?  Why is October likely to you?

Well, while the more optimistic players in the cruise industry were talking about a return to cruising at the end of July, it seemed to me like it was simply tied to the end of the 100 no sail order from the CDC, but efforts were falling short in order to truly meet that deadline. Other cruise lines were more realistically aligning themselves for an October restart, even before the most recent extension.

Cruise lines like Crystal had announced repositioning ships to the Caribbean for the fall season. Most recently, MSC also announced redeploying ships to different markets for the fall season as well. Smaller players like Bahamas Paradise still shows one ship beginning at the end of July (which is the only ship to attain a “green” status by the CDC and for which they have already listed a full list of protocols on their website), but their other ship has always had an October start date.

With all of these “hints” that we’ve had for months, I’ve always thought that the end of July was not realistic for most cruise lines, but October would be. I’ve never tied a return to cruising with a vaccine because I don’t believe that it would be “the” solution. A comprehensive plan of action for the cruise lines, like what several airlines have implemented and which have allowed them to continue operating, will be a more realistic path towards a restart. 

With the announced ship redeployments for the fall in place, I believe that within the next few weeks we will start seeing protocols established by various cruise lines unveiled in order to begin cruising in the fall. 

With all of that said, I’m not willing to bet any money on a October restart. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned with this pandemic is that nobody knows for sure how everything will play out in the cruise industry. Personally, I’ve decided to forego any cruises for the rest of 2020 and I don’t have anything planned until February 2021 to be on the safe side and avoid all the aggravation that so many have experienced with their canceled vacations. 

Time will tell! 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 3

I will make a prediction when infections in the US begin to fall, because once that begins to happen, there will likely be a 60-90 lag before startup.  And since it is a lagging indicator, hospitalizations will need to continue to fall. 

As long as things continue to spike in FL, AZ, CA, TX and several other states, I would be surprised if there is an exact date before then.

Virgin has announced a soft start up of October 16th, but they have the advantage of only 1 ship and lots of new technology already incorporated in the ship.

• Like 2

My guess is mid November with 1-3 ships doing short 4-5 night sailing.  Hope I’m right since we booked a 5 night for mid December to see how we like cruising Under the new conditions before we have to make final payment on a April B2B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

You can’t go from one US port to another without visiting a distant foreign port, five days isn’t long enough for that, so I can’t see that kind of itinerary happening ever

There's a wide variety of 3-5 day cruises from Port Everglades offered by numerous cruise lines. Cruise Critic has a "Top 25" list:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/cruiseitineraries.cfm?length=3-5&portofcall=42

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

You can’t go from one US port to another without visiting a distant foreign port, five days isn’t long enough for that, so I can’t see that kind of itinerary happening ever

I think the OP used odd wording but meant closed loop cruises since they described miami to miami. A short closed loop cruise with 1 stop is certainly accomplishable.

Dec 15th,  2020  

I wish they could do cruises to nowhere!  I know they have to visit a foreign port.  They could do that to meet that requirement and just and keep everyone on board!  Sometimes we do choose to cruise and not get off the ship.  We have been on over 40 cruises.  Seen most of what we want to see.  We just enjoy the ships and miss that tremendously.  I know there is distancing, masks and temp checks.  We would need to be agreeable to all that for safety.  

The problem also lies in the foreign ports opening to cruise passengers. After reading on this forum and some other sites I doubt I'll be making my final payment (Oct 2020) for my January 2021 cruise as I don't see it happening. My bet is on June 2021 (for all sailings - there may be some 3-4-5 day to private islands, etc. before then).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DragonflyCruiser said:

I wish they could do cruises to nowhere!  I know they have to visit a foreign port.  They could do that to meet that requirement and just and keep everyone on board!  

I believe I've read on here that this is not permitted.  It has to be a real port call.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Jonthomas, yes Miami to Miami with a stop in Mexico is allowed.

what the OP proposed , from one US port to another, requires a “distant” port, which means either South America or an ABC island 

You're both right, as the OP asked two different things: one US port to another, which does require a stop at a "distant foreign port" (and Mexican ports, among others, are excluded from that definition), and RT Miami, which, as a closed loop cruise, only requires a stop any foreign port.  

Edited by Turtles06

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Well now that it appears that the EU may be planning to bar any visitors from the US when they reopen some borders on July 1st, that may be another factor on start up dates.

I just read this too, sadly I'm not surprised.  

2 minutes ago, NinaBlue22 said:

I just read this too, sadly I'm not surprised.  

I think the focus of this (still) potential announcement is how will this affect other ports of call not in the EU?

Asian ports.  Most importantly, some Caribbean ports.  The fact that Bermuda is closed until 1 November may be another indicator. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1