23 ships that could be laid-up, sold or scrapped

On 6/24/2020 at 9:51 AM, Hoopster95 said:

Most recent ship movements away from the RCL fleet:

• Empress  ... 1990-2008 = 18 yrs
  • Sovereign ... 1998-2009 = 21 yrs
  • Monarch ... 1991-2013 = 22 yrs
  • Majesty ... 1992-2016 = 24 yrs (was to join Pullmantur)
  • Splendour ... 1995-2016 = 21 yrs
  • Legend ... 1995-2017 = 22 yrs
  • Grandeur ... 1996-2021 = 25 yrs

See the picture? I predict Vision Class is gone from the RCL brand due to this economic crisis/pandemic. Current age of the fleet:

• Enchantment ... 23 yrs old
  • Rhapsody ... 23 yrs old
  • Vision ... 22 yrs old

• Voyager ... 21 years old
  • Explorer ... 20 years old
  • Radiance & Adventure ... 19 years old
  • Navigator &  Brilliance ... 18 years old
  • Serenade & Mariner ...  17 years old
  • Jewel ... 16 years old

It is hard to believe the Adventure is that old after sailing on her this year. She is in much better shape than the Disney boat we sailed on that was of similar age, Disney loyalists would argue lol. Honestly I am not sure I could have put an age on it going by condition, same with the Brilliance. RCCL seems to take really good care of their ships.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

It is hard to believe the Adventure is that old after sailing on her this year. She is in much better shape than the Disney boat we sailed on that was of similar age, Disney loyalists would argue lol. Honestly I am not sure I could have put an age on it going by condition, same with the Brilliance. RCCL seems to take really good care of their ships.

Adventure is a bit younger than Disney Magic (1998) or Disney Wonder (1999). I haven't been on Adventure since 2010, but I sailed on the Wonder this past February, and she looked great to me. However, we were on Brilliance in Nov. 2019, and that ship could've used more TLC.

Edited by NancyIL

2 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

Adventure is a bit younger than Disney Magic (1998) or Disney Wonder (1999). I haven't been on Adventure since 2010, but I sailed on the Wonder this past February, and she looked great to me. However, we were on Brilliance in Nov. 2019, and that ship could've used more TLC.

When we were on the Magic in 2016 she showed her age a lot more than the Adventure this year. The timing fits that they were both about the same vintage when we sailed them. Brilliance in 2018 was in great shape, Freedom was the worst of the RCCL ships we sailed on. Honestly our top 3 ships equally are the Brilliance, DCL Magic, and Celebrity Edge, so I am not totally anti DCL;). Just hope RCCL doesn't let go of too many ships, as we are a fan of smaller builds.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, Hoopster95 said:

See the picture? I predict Vision Class is gone from the RCL brand due to this economic crisis/pandemic. Current age of the fleet:

• Vision ... 22 yrs old

• Jewel ... 16 years old

Thanks for taking the time to provide this info. It showed all of us how time goes by so fast. Brings back memories of those ships we cruised on during their first voyages.

Hope to cruise again! 

34 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

When we were on the Magic in 2016 she showed her age a lot more than the Adventure this year. The timing fits that they were both about the same vintage when we sailed them. Brilliance in 2018 was in great shape, Freedom was the worst of the RCCL ships we sailed on. Honestly our top 3 ships equally are the Brilliance, DCL Magic, and Celebrity Edge, so I am not totally anti DCL;). Just hope RCCL doesn't let go of too many ships, as we are a fan of smaller builds.

Your screen name looks familiar, so I think I've also seen your posts on a DISney Cruise forum. 😉

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

Your screen name looks familiar, so I think I've also seen your posts on a DISney Cruise forum. 😉

Yup, I have been there a bit too lately keeping tabs on the changes knowing we will sail the Wish:) A lot before that too when we were actively sailing DCL.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1

I have been watching the below site for a while. I have been around long enough to know to take most sites like this with a grain of salt but I do find it interesting that the price on both the Sovereign and Monarch has dropped from $100,000,00.00 last week down to $15,000,000.00 along with the Horizon which was priced last week at $60,000,00.00. The Majesty’s price remains the same for now. Also noted that the Empress was added today for $20,000.00. There are a few more RCI and X ships listed as well but I doubt that buyers are found in this market. It will be interesting to see what plays out now.

https://commercial.apolloduck.com/boats-for-sale/commercial/cruise-ship?next=0&sort=0&fx=USD&limit=10&cid=27

31 minutes ago, cruisinfromtampa said:

RUDE! 😂

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. What other gulf coast ports are there in Florida?

Maybe John was thinking the better ports are in Galveston, TX? 😉

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. What other gulf coast ports are there in Florida?

Florida Gulf Coast Ports? Tampa is the only Big one. Naples, Florida do they even have a port? Port Charlotte way to shallow. Ft Myers Cape Coral and Punta Gorda? all way to small or way to shallow for big ships. Pensacola? That had a Naval base so they could possibly do ships from there.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dagadget said:

Florida Gulf Coast Ports? Tampa is the only Big one. Naples, Florida do they even have a port? Port Charlotte way to shallow. Ft Myers Cape Coral and Punta Gorda? all way to small or way to shallow for big ships. Pensacola? That had a Naval base so they could possibly do ships from there.

But as @John&LaLa mentioned, it’s only a few hours to other ports like PC, Ft Lauderdale, and Miami. He is correct. It’s a fact. Actually, you could make PC in a couple of hours. 

M8

On 6/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, Hoopster95 said:

• Vision ... 22 yrs old

• Jewel ... 16 years old

None of those are old for a ship.  

On 6/29/2020 at 6:44 PM, John&LaLa said:

Tampa, like Baltimore, is easily replaced with better ports only a few hours away

What is wrong with Tampa, we had a very good experience in the area in general and the port itself when we went out on the Brilliance. We actually specifically choose Tampa to sail out of for our 2022 cruise and found a ship and itinerary that met our needs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Gulf coast ports are inherently flawed.

Why do they need one?

33 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

What is wrong with Tampa, we had a very good experience in the area in general and the port itself when we went out on the Brilliance. We actually specifically choose Tampa to sail out of for our 2022 cruise and found a ship and itinerary that met our needs.

Just no need for it. As I said earlier plenty of better ports on the east side

FLL and Miami we really don't like due to the cost of flights and hotels. Both have skyrocketed in the last few years. We do love PC because we have a place we like to stay and at least in the past flights into Orlando and rooms in Cocoa Beach were cheap.

Am I missing another Florida option? They don't seem to want to put the smaller ships we like into PC, except for DCL and the only ship we will overpay for them will be the Wish when it sails out of PC.

4 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

FLL and Miami we really don't like due to the cost of flights and hotels. Both have skyrocketed in the last few years. We do love PC because we have a place we like to stay and at least in the past flights into Orlando and rooms in Cocoa Beach were cheap.

Am I missing another Florida option? They don't seem to want to put the smaller ships we like into PC, except for DCL and the only ship we will overpay for them will be the Wish when it sails out of PC.

Tampa and Jacksonville.

50 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Gulf coast ports are inherently flawed.

Why do they need one?

idk. Ask Fain next time you see him.

From what I've read on CC, lots of people like to drive to the closest port. Seems like plenty of Floridians don't even like driving from central Florida to south Florida or vice-versa. Again, based on what I've read here on CC.

Throw in diversity of itineraries, relieve congestion of east coast ports and the fact they are probably profitable, and you have your answer.

EDIT TO ADD: I pretty much have to fly to any port if I want to cruise so it doesn't matter to me. Cape Liberty is fine but itineraries are somewhat limited for my tastes.

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Her response was about the east coast ports

His;) No you mentioned better east coast options, were you talking Florida specifically or East Coast in general? If you know something about getting cheap lodging in FLL or Miami in the winter please clue us in. Cheapest I have paid recently is a little over 300 a night. Flights have been crazy too even with the cheapest fare option on Southwest, double what we normally pay. That is why we liked Tampa and PC, cheap flights and lodging.

Edited by cgolf1

3 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

His;) No you mentioned better east coast options, were you talking Florida specifically or East Coast in general? If you know something about getting cheap lodging in FLL or Miami in the winter please clue us in. Cheapest I have paid recently is a little over 300 a night. Flights have been crazy too even with the cheapest fare option on Southwest, double what we normally pay. That is why we liked Tampa and PC, cheap flights and lodging.

Apologies on the gender faux pass

Last I looked, Pt Canaveral is on the east Coast.

That is one of the better options I was referring to

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

idk. Ask Fain next time you see him.

From what I've read on CC, lots of people like to drive to the closest port. Seems like plenty of Floridians don't even like driving from central Florida to south Florida or vice-versa. Again, based on what I've read here on CC.

Throw in diversity of itineraries, relieve congestion of east coast ports and the fact they are probably profitable, and you have your answer.

The whole point of this ongoing conversation deals with older/smaller ships leaving the fleet.

Many brought up that these ships are necessary for the small ports that hsve bridge restrictions.  

My contention is are these markets viable in a future where small ships arent the norm anymore. People living in these areas still have choices.

And BTW, we actually live closer to Tampa now during cruise season. But I don't mind the extra hour or three to get to PC or PE vs Tampa. My aversion to driving only applied when i had to leave a port I can cab to😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

EDIT TO ADD: I pretty much have to fly to any port if I want to cruise so it doesn't matter to me. Cape Liberty is fine but itineraries are somewhat limited for my tastes.

Not as limited as Baltimore, from what I've noticed.

And Tampa also has very limited itineraries,  and is only seasonal for the most part

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1