Beverage consumers - package or no?

Suna

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

When I cruise, 90% of the time it's in an inside cabin. Maybe you prefer a balcony, I don't  know.  Just like when some people have stated on the boards that once they cruised in a balcony, they have never gone back to an inside, it's  the same with the drink packages for me.  Ever since they came out, I have gotten them on my last 10+ cruises whether a la carte on Carnival  and Royal or included as a package deal on other lines.   Some prefer a balcony, but for me I'll take an inside and use the savings towards Cheers as well as always using 10% off gift cards, prepaying to get 10% off and looking out for the occasional sale similar to the one from a few months ago that saved me another 10% off of Cheers as well as 10% off of cruise cash.

This is where we agree on something! I, too, rarely purchase the balcony. I've tried it, and it is nicer, no doubt. However, we rarely have ever utilized it enough to justify the cost. There are also no shortage of sea views on the ships, and I'd rather be in those spots vs the room. I know for some people, if you want a relaxing area to see the sea, read a book, eat breakfast, etc it is tough to beat.

Something that I can't help but shake my head at is the amount of people I know/meet that say "I can't afford traveling. So when I go, I want to splurge". Then after their balcony, drink, package, and all of the other things, they've easily spent 2x or more. They will tell you how amazing all of these things are, but rarely used them. If that makes them happy, then who am I to say. It does get annoying when those same people tell me "how lucky I am to be able to afford to go so often".

Again, just my opinion. No need for anyone to listen to it. In the grand scheme of traveling, I do my best to maintain a good balance of frequent travel, memorable experiences, and justifying what I really need.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sawdec said:

We never sail without cheers! We saved so much on our last cruise by getting the package. It includes coffee milkshakes bottled water and energy drinks too. 

And with the switch to Pepsi products, many new products such as unsweetened Pure Leaf bottled iced tea have been added to the mix.

7 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So...have we beat the dead horse to death again?

The alternative is to complain about why it's taking so long to get refunds from cancelled cruises or speculation regarding how cruising will be different post Covid.  You can also add speculation regarding when each of the proposed new ships from each line will actually come out and whether any long term new builds will be scratched.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The alternative is to complain about why it's taking so long to get refunds from cancelled cruises or speculation regarding how cruising will be different post Covid.  You can also add speculation regarding when each of the proposed new ships from each line will actually come out and whether any long term new builds will be scratched.

Noooo!!! You've already complained about those enough.....I gave a pass on some stuff here but please no more Covid and refund complaints......for a week at least

Edited by Host Carolyn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

Noooo!!! You've already complained about those enough.....I gave a pass on some stuff here but please no more Covid and refund complaints......for a week at least

Carolyn, I was just being tongue in cheek regarding other topics that have been beaten to death on the boards.

Edit...for the record Carolyn, I have never posted about a personal experience regarding refunds.  We lucked out and got our refund from Royal in nine days.

Edited by SNJCruisers

Personally, I would buy the Cheers package if my wife and daughter can get the other. The problem with Carnival is they don't allow it. My wife can't drink for medical reasons. RCL allowed it when we provided proof, but CCL will not at all. For me, $55 or so per day is a no brainer. But having to pay for my wife as well, it is not worth it at all. I wish CCL would change their policy on this because it is a little ridiculous when you have a medical reason not to drink alcohol.

8 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Personally, I would buy the Cheers package if my wife and daughter can get the other. The problem with Carnival is they don't allow it. My wife can't drink for medical reasons. RCL allowed it when we provided proof, but CCL will not at all. For me, $55 or so per day is a no brainer. But having to pay for my wife as well, it is not worth it at all. I wish CCL would change their policy on this because it is a little ridiculous when you have a medical reason not to drink alcohol.

Or like you mentioned in your comment, you can cruise on another cruise line that allows the option you want. 

11 hours ago, bigrednole said:

It appears Carnival has experienced enough drink sharing via faked medical certificates that they accept the occasional loss of business by couples that truly would qualify.

It's annoying, but I suppose you can only blame all the cheaters who came before you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, john91498 said:

Carnival also limits 15 alcoholics drink per 24 hour period. I think they took a bath when it was truly "Unlimited"

Several other cruise lines that I have sailed on have unlimited drink packages and they are doing fine, or at least they were prior to COVID-19. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 8:49 PM, john91498 said:

Carnival also limits 15 alcoholics drink per 24 hour period. I think they took a bath when it was truly "Unlimited"

As far back as I can remember, Cheers was never unlimited.  I bought it for the first time in January of 2013 on the Breeze and paid about 37.50 for it.  The max was 15 drinks and capped at 10.00 each.  It premiered around June of 2012 on I believe the Liberty.  If my recollection is incorrect, I'll be corrected.

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

As far back as I can remember, Cheers was never unlimited.  I bought it for the first time in January of 2013 on the Breeze and paid about 37.50 for it.  The max was 15 drinks and capped at 10.00 each.  It premiered around June of 2012 on I believe the Liberty.  If my recollection is incorrect, I'll be corrected.

If I recall correctly, the 15 drink limit applied to the My Awesome Bar Program, which was the original name of the program before they changed it to Cheers. 

A 15 drink maximum is more than reasonable for an alcoholic beverage plan.  Drunks on a cruise ship are not a safe thing for anyone.   The maximum accomplishes two things:   a person getting so drunk that he/she is a danger to himself or others and someone sharing their drink plan with one or more people.  Good for Carnival for this rule.

15 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

A 15 drink maximum is more than reasonable for an alcoholic beverage plan.  Drunks on a cruise ship are not a safe thing for anyone.   The maximum accomplishes two things:   a person getting so drunk that he/she is a danger to himself or others and someone sharing their drink plan with one or more people.  Good for Carnival for this rule.

The shot and a beer college crowd should be the only ones possibly exceeding the 15 per day.  Nine beers and a half dozen shots over the course of a day for a 22 year old accustomed to heavy drinking is doable.

15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If I recall correctly, the 15 drink limit applied to the My Awesome Bar Program, which was the original name of the program before they changed it to Cheers. 

So, we are in agreement that any drinking program instituted by Carnival was and has never been unlimited.

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The shot and a beer college crowd should be the only ones possibly exceeding the 15 per day.  Nine beers and a half dozen shots over the course of a day for a 22 year old accustomed to heavy drinking is doable.

So, we are in agreement that any drinking program instituted by Carnival was and has never been unlimited.

I have seen countless people hit 15 drinks in a day on every cruise I have sailed on Carnival. It is definitely not limited to the college crowd who reach the drink limit. 

The 15 drink limit is a financial decision, not a drink responsibly decision. If the 15 drink limit was based on drinking responsibly, it would apply to all passengers, regardless of whether or not they purchased Cheers. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have seen countless people hit 15 drinks in a day on every cruise I have sailed on Carnival. It is definitely not limited to the college crowd who reach the drink limit.

I've done it a few times. I definitely did not want anymore.

Edited by Joebucks

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The 15 drink limit is a financial decision, not a drink responsibly decision. If the 15 drink limit was based on drinking responsibly, it would apply to all passengers, regardless of whether or not they purchased Cheers. 

If we're going to talk semantics, reread my quote.  I said "should" be the only ones.  I didn't include those that like to kill their liver consuming 15 drinks everyday for a week.  I pay for Cheers and I have praised the program on various threads over the years, but at the same time, there is not a neon sign above people's heads stating how many drinks they have consumed, so how do you really know that you have seen countless people hit 15?  Do they start weeping at the bar because they are now cut off?

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

If we're going to talk semantics, reread my quote.  I said "should" be the only ones.  I didn't include those that like to kill their liver consuming 15 drinks everyday for a week.  I pay for Cheers and I have praised the program on various threads over the years, but at the same time, there is not a neon sign above people's heads stating how many drinks they have consumed, so how do you really know that you have seen countless people hit 15?  Do they start weeping at the bar because they are now cut off?

Because I have seen receipts that shows 15 drinks total multiple times on every Carnival cruise I have been on. I assume you know once you hit double digit drinks your receipt shows you what number drink you are on if you purchased Cheers. Additionally, most bartenders tell you how many drinks you have remaining including when you are on drink 15, so everyone hanging out at the same bar (Alchemy bring the most common in my experience) usually knows what drink number everyone else is on. It’s not that difficult to reach 15 drinks if you start drinking at 8 AM in the morning with a Bloody Mary or Mimosa. If you only drink one drink per hour you will hit drink 15 by 11 PM. Of course people tend to drink more than one drink an hour when they are on a cruise.