How do main dining rooms on Edge / Apex work?

edgekid

We always book late reserved main dining rooms and usually try a few specialty restaurants also...

We are booked on  Apex in September 2021 and have chosen late dining.. however, we want to try all the main dining rooms for the different exclusive menu items.. do we switch to select dining, can we make those reservations in advance or do we have to do it when on board?

In the past with traditional late dining you will be assigned to 1 of the 4 MDRs.  If you want to try the others the MaitreD an arrange that for you.  When cruising restarts it could be different with everyone having an assigned dining time.  

If you for sure want to try all the dining rooms, I would switch to Select - and yes, you should be able to make those reservations (I say should because I can for my July 2021 cruises, but not my Feb 2022 cruise, so I'm not sure at what point those open up).

While they will try to accommodate you to allow you to dine in the others if you have fixed dining, they will not guarantee it.

Obviously this is all from before COVID shut everything down. But as of now my 2/2021 and both 7/2021 dining selections are still there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If you for sure want to try all the dining rooms, I would switch to Select - and yes, you should be able to make those reservations (I say should because I can for my July 2021 cruises, but not my Feb 2022 cruise, so I'm not sure at what point those open up).

While they will try to accommodate you to allow you to dine in the others if you have fixed dining, they will not guarantee it.

Obviously this is all from before COVID shut everything down. But as of now my 2/2021 and both 7/2021 dining selections are still there.

I have been on the Edge twice. Once on Late Fixed seating and once on Select. It's very difficult to get to try other Dining Rooms when you're on a set seating since it's based on availability. In fact on this cruise we were never able to try another Dining Room because the Dining Rooms besides our assigned one were always Full for Fixed Seating customers.  On our second cruise on the Edge we were on Select and it wasn't a problem to schedule meals in all Dining Rooms at the time we wanted.  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

I have been on the Edge twice. Once on Late Fixed seating and once on Select. It's very difficult to get to try other Dining Rooms when you're on a set seating since it's based on availability. On our second cruise on the Edge we were on Selct and it wasn't a problem to schedule meals in all Dining Rooms at the time we wanted.  

Yeah, I had Select and made reservations for each MDR (and have for my next 4 cruises booked). I opt to not do fixes if I can help it as I  solo and prefer to not have to deal with table mates who are all “Oh no one could come? I could never go solo.” and so forth.

I have just heard from numerous people that they will try to accommodate changing - but it is dependent on others wanting to try others as well. Lots of dominoes to fall correctly.

I’ll disagree with the Set dining time as being more difficult to use other MDR’s on the Edge Class. We had a full ship and set dining and all we did was tell the martre de we wanted to try all 4 dining rooms and we had no problems moving to them. we did a b2B for 14 days and used the 4MDRs and three of the specialty restaurants and loved all of them. In fact, we called mid-day and moved to another of the MDR’s and it was just as easy as dining in the original one we signed up for. 

Den