There will be a buffet on Royal Caribbean ships when cruises resume

8 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

I do not believe modern cruise ships have the capacity to have everyone eat in the MDR without having a buffet.  I may be wrong since this is just an opinion.  I am certain that what we have experienced with Noro will lead the way for the future.  I would love to see something like this from the 50's as a new venue!

automats.jpg

No Thank you!    Sure if I am at a train station or airport and need a quick bite to eat these machines work but to go on a cruise and spend thousands of dollars and not have all the choices we had pre-covid.    No way...

On 7/2/2020 at 8:15 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

I agree!  The only issue I see with buffet at windjammer or anywhere would be the lines and people not social distancing.   We have all met up with those people that dont follow simple rules before and during this pandemic.

I agree and that's why the Noro style approach won't be used to solve the Covid problem.  The buffet will turn into a sit down restaurant and servers will bring your food from the buffet stations.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

No Thank you!    Sure if I am at a train station or airport and need a quick bite to eat these machines work but to go on a cruise and spend thousands of dollars and not have all the choices we had pre-covid.    No way...

Just another crazy idea to go along with so many other thoughts and options.  Too bad as passengers we will not have an input as to what they will do to the buffet.  I look forward to being able to see first hand what they do end up with.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:55 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

I agree and that's why the Noro style approach won't be used to solve the Covid problem.  The buffet will turn into a sit down restaurant and servers will bring your food from the buffet stations.

I really hope RCL will use this time to change the concept of Windjammer and that it will never be again the buffet we knew it from the past.

They will need a food court style concept with a smart system to avoid over crowding in the venue, hence restricting the amount of people at the bufffet / food court area and venue in general. Some of the food would be plated imediately and provided to you and other options would be made to order and would be brought to your table. The consequence would be less capacity and this is maybe the key, the cruislines just wait for this storm to pass and go back to the same mess as before.

2 hours ago, LXA350 said:

I really hope RCL will use this time to change the concept of Windjammer and that it will never be again the buffet we knew it from the past.

They will need a food court style concept with a smart system to avoid over crowding in the venue, hence restricting the amount of people at the bufffet / food court area and venue in general. Some of the food would be plated imediately and provided to you and other options would be made to order and would be brought to your table. The consequence would be less capacity and this is maybe the key, the cruislines just wait for this storm to pass and go back to the same mess as before.

I never thought the Windjammer was a mess before. And plenty of people agree with me. Those who don't like it have other dining options to choose from.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't help but feel like cruises and cruise ship buffets are bound together in an either/or position.

Until there is a vaccine and the pandemic has been defeated I don't believe cruise lines will be

allowed to start up again. Once crusing is safe to resume then the traditional buffets will be as

safe as they were before.

Either everything returns as it was or ships cannot sail. No inbetween. 

• Like 2

I never touched any food in the buffet with my hands , i always used a knife and fork .

That went for a muffin too . 

Never ate bread in the dining room either . Only food i ate came off my fork.

Used a napkin when i ate a hotdog so my fingers never touched the bun .

These were my rules to avoid noro , and they would apply to covid also .

But by the time i cruise ( if ever ) again in a couple of years all this virus stuff should be sorted out .

i wont consider a cruise any time soon . Dont need the extra hassle .

cheers ! 

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I never thought the Windjammer was a mess before. And plenty of people agree with me. Those who don't like it have other dining options to choose from.

The Windjammer as such is not the problem, but because many do not follow proper hygiene the venue is the perfect place for spreading viruses. Hence, the concept is very convenient for the cruiselines but from a hygienic point of view a desaster, like any buffet where people can get close to the food and serve themselves.

1 hour ago, loman said:

I never touched any food in the buffet with my hands , i always used a knife and fork .

That went for a muffin too . 

Never ate bread in the dining room either . Only food i ate came off my fork.

Used a napkin when i ate a hotdog so my fingers never touched the bun .

These were my rules to avoid noro , and they would apply to covid also .

But by the time i cruise ( if ever ) again in a couple of years all this virus stuff should be sorted out .

i wont consider a cruise any time soon . Dont need the extra hassle .

cheers ! 

In Windjammer I am as consequent as you, and this is the only way to go to avoid catching something in that venue, at least it reduces the likelyhood very much. Not so consequent in dining room, but I do have a disinfectant with me and use it before I touch the bread.

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

No idea how I've survived this many cruises eating in the Windjammer and never been sick.😏

Good antibodies i would say , you have developed an immunity to other cruisers .🙂

You have probably witnessed some activities that make you cringe on a cruise ship .

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Windjammers differ greatly by class of ship.  The station setup on Anthem is a pleasure however serving area on Freedom class always felt cramped and unpleasant.  Vision class also tight to navigate but not as bad due to fewer passengers.

23 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Windjammers differ greatly by class of ship.  The station setup on Anthem is a pleasure however serving area on Freedom class always felt cramped and unpleasant.  Vision class also tight to navigate but not as bad due to fewer passengers.

I like the Freedom class Windjammers just fine. Now, Oasis class could use some help.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, pcur said:

What's being described in many of the posts here is the buffet on a HAL ship.  Everything that is self serve is already plated.  Salads are "tutti" style.  Sushi is pre-plated, also.  Everything else is plated (or bowled) by the staff and handed to you.  I love HAL buffets.  They also have cooking stations directly behind the food serving area, so they are constantly cooking the food and moving it fresh to the serving area.

Our one time on HAL, the Noordam, the buffet was just plain lousy.  The pre packaged sandwiches had very little choice and did not seem fresh at all.  There were so few choices through out the buffet area, after the first 2 days we would either get a salad that they made for  you or went to the burger place at the other end of the buffet area outside.   

We don't like buffets in general and have managed to avoid them completely the last 4 cruises so no problem with us if they eliminate them.  I know others feel differently and expect they will find a way to make them work.  

23 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Our one time on HAL, the Noordam, the buffet was just plain lousy.  The pre packaged sandwiches had very little choice and did not seem fresh at all.  There were so few choices through out the buffet area, after the first 2 days we would either get a salad that they made for  you or went to the burger place at the other end of the buffet area outside.   

We don't like buffets in general and have managed to avoid them completely the last 4 cruises so no problem with us if they eliminate them.  I know others feel differently and expect they will find a way to make them work.  

Wow!  That must have been specific to that ship, because the last 3 HAL cruises we've been on the buffet was very good.  I remember our stop in Hawaii on the Oosterdam:  the buffet manager went to the fish market in Honolulu and bought all the lobsters they had just brought in.  They had all you can eat broiled half lobsters non-stop until the ran out at dinner that night.  

The thing about HAL is the food is fresh, not pans of pre-cooked food kept in a warmer.  That's what I like about it, and the cook stations are right there.  I'm hoping RCCL will do something similar.

My expert* opinion: If it’s safe enough to cruise, it’s safe enough to buffet. And if it’s not safe enough to buffet, it’s not safe enough to cruise. 

* My medical expertise consists of going to the doctor every now and then and watching a few episodes of Trapper John MD. Enough to comment on the internet. Probably not enough to set public policy. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Wow!  That must have been specific to that ship, because the last 3 HAL cruises we've been on the buffet was very good.  I remember our stop in Hawaii on the Oosterdam:  the buffet manager went to the fish market in Honolulu and bought all the lobsters they had just brought in.  They had all you can eat broiled half lobsters non-stop until the ran out at dinner that night.  

The thing about HAL is the food is fresh, not pans of pre-cooked food kept in a warmer.  That's what I like about it, and the cook stations are right there.  I'm hoping RCCL will do something similar.

In fairness to HAL, we were on the Noordam shortly before they were supposed to do a major refurbishment and the ship was tired.  We've never eaten the buffet for dinner, glad you've had a better experience.

On 7/3/2020 at 4:35 PM, zonacruiser25 said:

I do not believe modern cruise ships have the capacity to have everyone eat in the MDR without having a buffet.  I may be wrong since this is just an opinion.  I am certain that what we have experienced with Noro will lead the way for the future.  I would love to see something like this from the 50's as a new venue!

automats.jpg

i agree - there  needs to be buffet.

i love the 50's theme diner - johnny rockets is good but i have seen it decline in their service. but 50s theme diner for buffet etc i would love

On 7/6/2020 at 7:10 PM, zekekelso said:

My expert* opinion: If it’s safe enough to cruise, it’s safe enough to buffet. And if it’s not safe enough to buffet, it’s not safe enough to cruise. 

* My medical expertise consists of going to the doctor every now and then and watching a few episodes of Trapper John MD. Enough to comment on the internet. Probably not enough to set public policy. 

absolutely. if safe to cruise everything onboard is available

i love the buffet. much prefer this to mdr. i usually go to mdr once or twice but more an more i prefer the windjammer - loads of choice and tasty food

On 7/5/2020 at 6:30 PM, Ocean Boy said:

fully agree

the ships have loads of choices to suit everyone

the windjammer imo serves awesome food and great variety

What is not to like.

mdr is definetely not as good as before cos they want people to pay for the speciality restaurants where you will get the quality of dining experience that used to go with MDR in Royal Caribean but again that is a choice for people to make

everyone is happy

2 hours ago, fandash said:

fully agree

the ships have loads of choices to suit everyone

the windjammer imo serves awesome food and great variety

What is not to like.

mdr is definetely not as good as before cos they want people to pay for the speciality restaurants where you will get the quality of dining experience that used to go with MDR in Royal Caribean but again that is a choice for people to make

everyone is happy

Totally agree with you.

4 hours ago, fandash said:

absolutely. if safe to cruise everything onboard is available

i love the buffet. much prefer this to mdr. i usually go to mdr once or twice but more an more i prefer the windjammer - loads of choice and tasty food

We avoid the MDR at all costs. Only time we ate there consistently was on a cruise with a group of our friends. That was 2016 and last time except for the Tuti lunch on sea days. 

It’s CK, Specialty, or WJ. We like the Hot Dogs on Oasis Class. 

M8

• Like 1