NCL Not Refunding Cruise Next Vouchers . NCL Cancelled the cruise

Thequietone

27 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

So that covers how it works when the guest cancels or when the cruise line cancels, but what about when NEITHER of them cancels? What happens when the government cancels instead? IOW, what happens when the CDC issues a no sail order? 

The guest didn't cancel...they were ready and able to go. The cruise line didn't cancel...they were ready and able to go. The government stepped in and prevented both parties from completing their contractual obligations. 

What happens then, when neither party causes the cancellation?

The contract stays as it is Very simple 

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

These are voluntary suspensions by NCL. 

While voluntary sounds goods in the press, they had no choice...they could not have cruised if they wanted to once the CDC issued their order effectively cancelling all cruise activity by all operators.

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

While voluntary sounds goods in the press, they had no choice...they could not have cruised if they wanted to once the CDC issued their order effectively cancelling all cruise activity by all operators.

I see. It's in NCLs own press release though. So ask NCL what their policy is when they are forced to cancel. Hint....it wouldn't matter if it was voluntary or forced. Their position will be whatever is in their best interest financially.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

The other party in their contract should not suffer. The settlement should be equal as per their contract

6 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

No defence in contractual law

Just now, luv2kroooz said:

I see. It's in NCLs own press release though. So ask NCL what their policy is when they are forced to cancel. Hint....it wouldn't matter if it was voluntary or forced. Their position will be whatever is in their best interest financially.

Policies and press releases? What about the contract that keeps getting tossed out there?

Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

So that covers how it works when the guest cancels or when the cruise line cancels, but what about when NEITHER of them cancels? What happens when the government cancels instead? IOW, what happens when the CDC issues a no sail order? 

The guest didn't cancel...they were ready and able to go. The cruise line didn't cancel...they were ready and able to go. The government stepped in and prevented both parties from completing their contractual obligations. 

What happens then, when neither party causes the cancellation?

NCL Cancelled the contract. One party always has to break the contract. If not the contract still stands

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Policies and press releases? What about the contract that keeps getting tossed out there?

Compliance with Government Orders: The Carrier shall have the absolute right, without liability for compensation to the Guest of any kind, to comply with governmental orders, recommendations or directions, including but not limited to those pertaining to health, security, immigration, customs or safety.

100% Well said

Just now, Thequietone said:

NCL Cancelled the contract. One party always has to break the contract. If not the contract still stands

Sorry, no...the government would not allow EITHER party to perform under the contract. The guest did not cancel, and neither did any cruise line...the government stopped ALL cruises from occurring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Sorry, no...the government would not allow EITHER party to perform under the contract. The guest did not cancel, and neither did any cruise line...the government stopped ALL cruises from occurring.

The guest should not suffer for that. They have a right to refund

Edited by Thequietone
spelling

3 hours ago, Thequietone said:

What is this to do with a voucher extension? What questions do you want me to answer ?

You want more time to use this CruiseNext certificate on which the original expiration was 6 months ago.  CruiseNext certificates carry expiration dates, how far out do you expect NCL to extend that date?

The official policy on refunds is that funds are returned to the original form of payment, which means CND's are refunded to your account as a CND with the original expiration.  In the case of the one in question that date has passed so it was not refunded (obviously or we wouldn't be having this discussion).

At this point - your effort needs to be put into contacting the CruiseNext department (not the standard customer service) to see what they can do, if anything.  If they can't or won't do anything, you can try contacting the executive office (CEO, someone here has the email address) with your issue, the CEO himself won't be reading your email, but it would get someone's attention on this oversight in the refund policy.

5 hours ago, Thequietone said:

PS. I never surrender to an injustice 

Maybe not, but if you've exhausted all avenues (including those I mention above, that I've mentioned before) how much are you willing to spend on this?  Here in the US we have an option called small claims court, it's for quick resolution of issues without the procedure involved in a full-on trial, it's good for resolving disputes over small amounts of money and this would fall well within that limit in all states I believe.  There's either no fee or a small fee, and if the defendant (NCL in this case) doesn't show you often win what I believe is called a summary judgement (meaning you win with no argument if you have everything in order and the defendant is ordered to pay what you asked for).  The problem in this situation is that I'm not sure where such a case would be filed, it might need to be in Miami.  Of course, if the defendant DOES show, the plaintiff BEST have their documentation in order and with them.  The other issue for you @Thequietone is that you're in the UK so you'd have to see if you have a similar process or system there.

Start getting the courts involved beyond small claims and you turn into the guy who spent over $300,000 fighting a $15,000 claim because he was charged homeowner's association fees on property that wasn't subject to such fees.

24 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Wow, this confirms what I said. They'll do anything and everything to protect their own interests. I pulled my local Attorney General in after they tried playing silly games with me. I had what they owed me two days after filing the complaint. Their contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

At this point - your effort needs to be put into contacting the CruiseNext department (not the standard customer service) to see what they can do, if anything.  If they can't or won't do anything, you can try contacting the executive office (CEO, someone here has the email address) with your issue, the CEO himself won't be reading your email, but it would get someone's attention on this oversight in the refund policy.

No, you need to get it an outside third party. NCL is corrupt from Del Rio to Sommer to Byrd. Get it to an Attorney General or consumer advocate. You'll greatly increase the likelihood of success.

• Like 1

If it were me, I would file a complaint with the BBB. I have had good results through BBB with other issues and companies. These complaints are usually handled by senior customer service representatives, usually with more flexibility to resolve complaints.

If you can't find anyone at NCL to offer goodwill and make it right, filing a complaint with BBB is easy. Also, the State of Florida also has an office of  Florida Dept of Business & Professional Regulation where you can also take your issue.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pmatawan said:

If it were me, I would file a complaint with the BBB. I have had good results through BBB with other issues and companies. These complaints are usually handled by senior customer service representatives, usually with more flexibility to resolve complaints.

If you can't find anyone at NCL to offer goodwill and make it right, filing a complaint with BBB is easy. Also, the State of Florida also has an office of  Florida Dept of Business & Professional Regulation where you can also take your issue.

BBB totally useless. They passively sit by and volley the issue between business and customer. After two rounds, they close the case and note the business responded and the customer remains dissatisfied. The company could respond with literally anything and the BBB would be satisfied that the company responded.

Go to the Florida Atty General. NCL is already on her radar for alleged fraudulent sales tactics and misrepresentations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeaShark said:

So no party should suffer loss. NCL can't bully the guest especially when there is no loss to them. Just bad business for them and small minded

5 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

BBB totally useless. They passively sit by and volley the issue between business and customer. After two rounds, they close the case and note the business responded and the customer remains dissatisfied. The company could respond with literally anything and the BBB would be satisfied that the company responded.

Go to the Florida Atty General. NCL is already on her radar for alleged fraudulent sales tactics and misrepresentations.

In the UK we have two simple and effective systems. Credit Card charge back and Small Claims Online. Very simple.The offending company has to prove that they did not break the contract. If they did they pay back plus the claim fee interest and expenses. Sure fire for victims of alleged corporate bullying.

6 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Wow, this confirms what I said. They'll do anything and everything to protect their own interests. I pulled my local Attorney General in after they tried playing silly games with me. I had what they owed me two days after filing the complaint. Their contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

6 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Exactly . The facts are they did not deliver the service the guest paid for, period . The result is money back or voucher back. Clear as day. 

6 hours ago, pmatawan said:

Thank You

6 hours ago, hallux said:

You want more time to use this CruiseNext certificate on which the original expiration was 6 months ago.  CruiseNext certificates carry expiration dates, how far out do you expect NCL to extend that date?

The official policy on refunds is that funds are returned to the original form of payment, which means CND's are refunded to your account as a CND with the original expiration.  In the case of the one in question that date has passed so it was not refunded (obviously or we wouldn't be having this discussion).

Maybe not, but if you've exhausted all avenues (including those I mention above, that I've mentioned before) how much are you willing to spend on this?  Here in the US we have an option called small claims court, it's for quick resolution of issues without the procedure involved in a full-on trial, it's good for resolving disputes over small amounts of money and this would fall well within that limit in all states I believe.  There's either no fee or a small fee, and if the defendant (NCL in this case) doesn't show you often win what I believe is called a summary judgement (meaning you win with no argument if you have everything in order and the defendant is ordered to pay what you asked for).  The problem in this situation is that I'm not sure where such a case would be filed, it might need to be in Miami.  Of course, if the defendant DOES show, the plaintiff BEST have their documentation in order and with them.  The other issue for you @Thequietone is that you're in the UK so you'd have to see if you have a similar process or system there.

Start getting the courts involved beyond small claims and you turn into the guy who spent over $300,000 fighting a $15,000 claim because he was charged homeowner's association fees on property that wasn't subject to such fees.

In the UK we have two simple and effective systems. Credit Card charge back and Small Claims Online. Very simple.The offending company has to prove that they did not break the contract. If they did they pay back plus the claim fee interest and expenses. Sure fire for victims of alleged corporate bullying.

The internal mechanisms of complaint don't work with NCL. They are an alleged ridiculous company where nobody has any power to put things right. Each department manager passes the book to the next. Nobody sorts anything out.

• Like 1

The voucher was accepted as payment by NCL. That then forms a contract with them. They cancel the cruise, they break the contract. Expiry dates of the voucher used have nothing to do with it.

I also have an email from them confirming the repayment and an exact breakdown of the refund.

Quote;

Hi ,

Apologies for not getting back to you yesterday. It was the last day of the month and we were a touch snowed under.

The £91.25 is your 25% on your cruise next vouchers. The vouchers have yet to be returned to your account ( they are working as fast as they can, so do bear with us )

So £91.25 + cruise vouchers yet to be returned.  £195 + £170 = £456.25.

Kind regards,

Tim

I rest my case