NCL Not Refunding Cruise Next Vouchers . NCL Cancelled the cruise

Thequietone

Just now, Thequietone said:

Sorry but this is not about a voucher's expiry date . The voucher was live and extended when it was one of two used to deposit the cruise. It was accepted as payment currency by NCL. 

NCL have chosen not to return the voucher saying it has expired and can not be used again. This is the issue . The accepted payment with the voucher and not refund

So..  you received one $250 certificate back, because it was not expired.  The second, which expired before the cruise you used it for but after when you booked (when was that, by the way?) was not returned because it was expired and the "extension" they granted because you booked before expiration would not transfer to the new one (because they don't know when you would or could book next and returning it to you could be doubling the time you have to use it?).  Do I have this right?

I'm not sure there's much you'll be able to do about that certificate, you waited until the very last minute (or after really) to use it and unfortunate circumstances erupted.

Oh - are you dealing with the general customer service or the specific CruiseNext department?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hallux said:

So..  you received one $250 certificate back, because it was not expired.  The second, which expired before the cruise you used it for but after when you booked (when was that, by the way?) was not returned because it was expired and the "extension" they granted because you booked before expiration would not transfer to the new one (because they don't know when you would or could book next and returning it to you could be doubling the time you have to use it?).  Do I have this right?

I'm not sure there's much you'll be able to do about that certificate, you waited until the very last minute (or after really) to use it and unfortunate circumstances erupted.

Oh - are you dealing with the general customer service or the specific CruiseNext department?  

Customer service department 

2 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

Customer service department 

There's a specific CruiseNext department.  I'm in the US, but look in the Contact Us section on the site to find the phone number for your region, but also be sure to let them know you've been working with someone else already so they can try to find notes on your account.  I'm not saying they'll get you a favorable resolution, but it's worth a try as they have more power to do something.

Again though - how is it fair to extend yours again, but not someone who had one expiring in August that also had their cruise cancelled?  If they extend yours, they then would need to review other accounts and see if others deserve the same treatment.

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

There's a specific CruiseNext department.  I'm in the US, but look in the Contact Us section on the site to find the phone number for your region, but also be sure to let them know you've been working with someone else already so they can try to find notes on your account.  I'm not saying they'll get you a favorable resolution, but it's worth a try as they have more power to do something.

Again though - how is it fair to extend yours again, but not someone who had one expiring in August that also had their cruise cancelled?  If they extend yours, they then would need to review other accounts and see if others deserve the same treatment.

I am just going to wait and see 

Thank you 

I’m sorry, but after reading and re-reading these posts and trying to decipher things, I’m afraid I side with NCL on this.  A FCC is NOT cash and should not be confused with cash.  It is more like a coupon that has rules associated with it.  NCL let the OP use an expired or expiring coupon as credit toward a cruise they did NOT have to.   But I don’t think that equates to giving it back to you to use any time you want.  They extended the courtesy one time to get you to use the coupon on a cruise that you might not otherwise take.  To now expect that voucher to be good on another cruise is not required in my eyes.  Sure, they could do that, but I don’t think they should be required.  OP, I get it.  I get your opinion on the matter.  But I don’t share that opinion.  Just my 2 cents.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

A FCC is NOT cash and should not be confused with cash.

This was not FCC, this was a CruiseNext certificate, which is valid for 4 years after purchase (so the one in question expired in Feb. this year after being purchased in Feb. 2016).  CruiseNext is a program offered on board that allows you to buy credit toward another cruise in advance, with a 2-for-1 offer where you charge $500 on your on-board account toward two $250 certificates but then get a $250 credit against your account to cover part of the cost.

25 minutes ago, hallux said:

This was not FCC, this was a CruiseNext certificate, which is valid for 4 years after purchase (so the one in question expired in Feb. this year after being purchased in Feb. 2016).  CruiseNext is a program offered on board that allows you to buy credit toward another cruise in advance, with a 2-for-1 offer where you charge $500 on your on-board account toward two $250 certificates but then get a $250 credit against your account to cover part of the cost.

Thank you 

26 minutes ago, hallux said:

Ok

42 minutes ago, hallux said:

I realized well after writing my above post that I incorrectly used the term FCC rather than Cruise Next Certificate.  My bad.  I’m well aware of the CN program.  I use it.  I have 2 of them in my account.  I stand by my opinion.  

5 hours ago, Thequietone said:

100% Elliein. You have got it. My question , is that fair and reasonable and does it treat a customer fairly? I think the answer is clearly, no.

If your certifications expire 6/23.    They certainly have not been extended or expired.    

You keep talking about expired certificates.      VERY unclear.    ????

1 minute ago, Budget Queen said:

You keep talking about expired certificates.      VERY unclear.    ????

It sounds like there were certificates purchased on 2 different dates in play.  One WAS refunded, one that was still valid, the other that was used expired in Feb. and is the one in question.

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

It sounds like there were certificates purchased on 2 different dates in play.  One WAS refunded, one that was still valid, the other that was used expired in Feb. and is the one in question.

Over and over facts were needed and op answered partially at best.    IF the CN had already been extended-   Zero is the answer.    They seem to think it’s cash and repeat that comment.    

• Like 3

On 7/7/2020 at 6:54 AM, Thequietone said:

I think that is great advice, thank you.We live and learn. I won't let this guys get away with it . It is just hassle spending time chasing what is rightfully yours and being mugged by NCL Corporate Mobsters, in broad daylight,still hurts.

I hope you get your money or at least the certificate back.  Mobsters paints the picture.

Again, facts are a bit unclear. However, when you bought the certificates, you agreed to book and sail with NCL. It sounds to me like you upheld your end of the deal by booking and intending to sail within the expiration date. The certificates were properly redeemed and have value on the reservation. If the merchant subsequently cancels your cruise, that doesn't invalidate the value of the certificates that were properly redeemed. The entire value of the reservation inclusive of the certificates, is due back to you and anyone else that redeemed valid certificates and then had their cruise cancelled by the merchant. A merchant can't refuse to refund certificates that were redeemed properly and in accordance with the terms and conditions when it cancels the cruise. If the passenger cancelled, I'd feel differently about this.

Don't waste your time with NCL  Go over and above. They have zero customer service. Get with your State consumer protection division and the same division in the state of Florida. NCL is like the old high school bully. My experience is they push, shove, and nudge the little guy until outside agencies get involved. Then, they cave very, very, quickly.

Edited by luv2kroooz

40 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Again, facts are a bit unclear. However, when you bought the certificates, you agreed to book and sail with NCL. It sounds to me like you upheld your end of the deal by booking and intending to sail within the expiration date. The certificates were properly redeemed and have value on the reservation. If the merchant subsequently cancels your cruise, that doesn't invalidate the value of the certificates that were properly redeemed. The entire value of the reservation inclusive of the certificates, is due back to you and anyone else that redeemed valid certificates and then had their cruise cancelled by the merchant. A merchant can't refuse to refund certificates that were redeemed properly and in accordance with the terms and conditions when it cancels the cruise. If the passenger cancelled, I'd feel differently about this.

Don't waste your time with NCL  Go over and above. They have zero customer service. Get with your State consumer protection division and the same division in the state of Florida. NCL is like the old high school bully. My experience is they push, shove, and nudge the little guy until outside agencies get involved. Then, they cave very, very, quickly.

One of the certificates was expired, NCL granted them the courtesy of extending the expiration date on this particular cruise. They didn’t have to.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

One of the certificates was expired, NCL granted them the courtesy of extending the expiration date on this particular cruise. They didn’t have to.

I agree they didn't have to extend the date, but they evidently did. If the certificate was redeemed within the extended period, then it, in fact, was not expired and had value when redeemed. The merchant can't void that if it cancels the cruise.

Once a cruise next deposit is redeemed, it is treated like any other deposit and would be subject to the same cancellation penalties associated with any other deposit.