NCL Not Refunding Cruise Next Vouchers . NCL Cancelled the cruise

Thequietone

34 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

Sorry just don't get that. The voucher became part of the contract with NCL. They cancelled the contract. It was a contractual payment that they accepted as payment. Check it out , if you can't see that. Don't take my word for it. They can't chose or change a contract to suit them. Check it out

Ok look at it this way, I booked a cruise for 3/20 with my cruise next expiring 6/20. My March cruise was canceled. My cruise next certificate would be expired right now and worth nothing if I didn’t book a new cruise by the expiration date. Your canceled cruise was the last possible cruise you could’ve used you next cruise next on, it was canceled. Your cruise next is expired. 

13 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I've had that happen too on another issue.   Whoever reads their mail lacks reading comprehension skills.  I had to write to him because a department didn't understand their own policies.  So he refers my letter back to the same department who, now years later has not contacted me.

Exactly,so true. They, NCL don't understand the contract . This is the problem.

Just now, Thequietone said:

Exactly,so true. They, NCL don't understand the contract . This is the problem.

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Ok look at it this way, I booked a cruise for 3/20 with my cruise next expiring 6/20. My March cruise was canceled. My cruise next certificate would be expired right now and worth nothing if I didn’t book a new cruise by the expiration date. Your canceled cruise was the last possible cruise you could’ve used you next cruise next on, it was canceled. Your cruise next is expired. 

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

My Cruise next voucher was used when they accepted it as payment. That payment is a valid part of the contract.

18 minutes ago, dexddd said:

I've had that happen too on another issue.   Whoever reads their mail lacks reading comprehension skills.  I had to write to him because a department didn't understand their own policies.  So he refers my letter back to the same department who, now years later has not contacted me.

so true

25 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms&ved=2ahUKEwjRvqKjxcXqAhXilOAKHeKgBEEQFjAAegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw1FgQPuE-R1qLlvlkHquvb6

Please explain how you are exempt from these terms. You signed the form when you bought your certificates. If its past 48 months you are entitled to nothing. If you are within 48 months you certainly are entitled to the cert with thw original expiration date. You are not entitled to cash in either situation. 

I don't want cash

17 minutes ago, hallux said:

What the OP HASN'T answered yet is the question posed by @Turtles06 - reinstate the certificates with WHAT expiration date?  NCL could reinstate the certificate with an expiration of tomorrow with your intent to re-book a cruise today for later this year but what happens if THAT one gets cancelled?  How far out do you expect them to push the expiration?  Do you expect it to get pushed to Feb 2021?  Feb 2022?

No, it isn't your fault the cruise was cancelled, it wasn't NCL's either.

I've said it before - the out of pocket purchase value of a CruiseNext certificate is $125 if YOU bought two on board a previous cruise.  If you get no satisfaction from customer service, is it really worth it to push the issue?

For what it's worth - I don't believe the expiration dates are arbitrary.  Maybe someone in the financial sector will see this thread and chime in but I believe that these carry on the books as a liability and eventually need to be shuffled off the books.

Once they accepted my valid voucher as payment that became part of the contract . When they cancelled the contract that became part of what they owe me back.

11 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Once NCL accepted the valid voucher , that became part of my payment for the cruise. Bullseye the voucher now has been used and accepted, so expiration date is totally irrelevant the voucher has been used. I, as their customer have suffered consequential loss due to NCL breaking their contract.

By contract law they have to reimburse me that loss. That is deemed fair and reasonable.

I don't mind how they cover that loss to me , voucher, cheque, whatever.

I agree that if you do not use your CN and it expires you have to forfeit it.   But if you use it for a cruise and NCL cancels, even more than once, you should have the benefit of still using it until it's used for a sailing that actually sails no matter how long it takes.

• Like 2

And yet you STILL refuse to answer the all-important question of exactly how far you expect them to extend the CruiseNext that is now expired by 6 months!

I said it before - what exactly is your time worth?  I'm not a lawyer but I believe ambiguity in contracts may favor the party that did not write the contract (yes, this is in your favor and I won't argue that).  But what is this REALLY worth to you?  Sending this issue through courts is going to cost WAY more than the value of the "voucher", are you prepared for that if you get no satisfaction from customer service channels?  Have you tried the CruiseNext department rather than the regular customer service department, as I suggested doing earlier this week?

It likely won't hit his desk, but this might be a situation for an email to the CEO's office.  Again, he won't read it, but someone from his team will have intercepted it and it might get traction.

Just now, EllieinNJ said:

I agree that if you do not use your CN and it expires you have to forfeit it.   But if you use it for a cruise and NCL cancels, even more than once, you should have the benefit of still using it until it's used for a sailing that actually sails no matter how long it takes.

Agree 100% . That is also UK,USA, Canada Law. They are just pretty clueless with their own contract.

1 minute ago, hallux said:

And yet you STILL refuse to answer the all-important question of exactly how far you expect them to extend the CruiseNext that is now expired by 6 months!

I said it before - what exactly is your time worth?  I'm not a lawyer but I believe ambiguity in contracts may favor the party that did not write the contract (yes, this is in your favor and I won't argue that).  But what is this REALLY worth to you?  Sending this issue through courts is going to cost WAY more than the value of the "voucher", are you prepared for that if you get no satisfaction from customer service channels?  Have you tried the CruiseNext department rather than the regular customer service department, as I suggested doing earlier this week?

It likely won't hit his desk, but this might be a situation for an email to the CEO's office.  Again, he won't read it, but someone from his team will have intercepted it and it might get traction.

They voucher was used and spent.They accepted it, period. They don't need to extend it. I just do not want to accept an unjustifiable loss by alleged Corporate Bullies Norwegian Cruise Line

They voucher was used and spent.They accepted it, period. They don't need to extend it. I just do not want to accept an unjustifiable loss by alleged Corporate Bullies Norwegian Cruise Line

PS. I never surrender to an injustice 

10 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

But it did expire before it was used, NCL was generous extended it already.

1 hour ago, KSSS2013 said:

I would hire an attorney and let us know how it goes. Cruise Next certificates have no cash value and are useless after their expiration date. There is no clause in NCLs contract that allows you to get it extended or a cash refund. 

Nobody here works for NCL. 

1 hour ago, hallux said:

What the OP HASN'T answered yet is the question posed by @Turtles06 - reinstate the certificates with WHAT expiration date?  NCL could reinstate the certificate with an expiration of tomorrow with your intent to re-book a cruise today for later this year but what happens if THAT one gets cancelled?  How far out do you expect them to push the expiration?  Do you expect it to get pushed to Feb 2021?  Feb 2022?

No, it isn't your fault the cruise was cancelled, it wasn't NCL's either.

I've said it before - the out of pocket purchase value of a CruiseNext certificate is $125 if YOU bought two on board a previous cruise.  If you get no satisfaction from customer service, is it really worth it to push the issue?

For what it's worth - I don't believe the expiration dates are arbitrary.  Maybe someone in the financial sector will see this thread and chime in but I believe that these carry on the books as a liability and eventually need to be shuffled off the books.

Here's how it works when NCL cancels.....

Once the CND were validly applied to the booking, they now carry the same cancellation penalties as any other deposit. Under Peace of Mind, the cancellation penalty is zero. All monies paid in convert to future cruise credit under Peace of Mind.The terms of Peace mind carry the day here, so the new expiration date is the same as the rest of the monies.

Here's how it works when the passenger cancels.....

Once the CND were validly applied to the booking, they now carry the same cancellation penalties as any other deposit. If a passenger cancels, they are subject to NCL regular cancellation policies and penalties. The cruise next certificates are also covered by the same penalties. So, if a passenger cancels in100% penalty period, the certificates are forfeited in full regardless of expiration date.

The expiration date is irrelevant once the CNDs are redeemed at a time they were valid. Simply put, they were redeemed and would have been used in accordance with their terms and condition. The merchant voluntarily or forcibly cancelled the sailing. The passenger doesn't get screwed in this situation.  Just think it through logically and you don't need to rely on contracts, accounting principles, and legal jargon.

18 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

but the opportunity to actually use the certificate prior to it expiring was not given to the individual.....   the consumer clearly met all terms of the voucher by booking a cruise prior to it expiring but NCL did not provide the service for the actual voucher.

NCL runs a promo for an opportunity to book a Studio for $100 for a 7 day cruise..... you jump on this great opportunity and buy 5 of them.  A week after the promo they announce that all Studios, across the fleet, are being replaced with volleyball courts by Dec 31, 2020 but they also make the announcement they will have no sailings before Jan 1, 2021...... NCL is not sailing so there is no opportunity to book that Studio prior to the conversion so do you expect a refund?

Same thing with CruiseNext Certificates that were purchased and no opportunity to use them.

I'm normally a NCL cheerleader but these CruiseNext Certificates either have to be put back in the account with a 1 year extension (dated from the day NCL goes to 80% operation) or refund the $125.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Of course they were generous in extending it, but that isn't the issue. It did not expire before it was used. It was redeemed and applied to a booking at a time when it was valid. The customer booked and intended to sail within the timeframe agreed upon. NCL has prevented him from sailing by voluntarily or forcibly cancelling his cruise.

I can't imagine anyone, except the clowns over in Miami, arguing  that they prevented the customer from sailing but somehow get to keep the value of the funds validly applied at the time of booking. Think about it....they are arguing against what Peace of Mind is intended to accomplish.

It's all over the website....sail safe, flexible booking. 

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 2

It took a bit of back and forth with our PCC but we did get ours extended and applied to our 2021 cruise.  They were set to expire in September, and after they shut down all sailings through then, I just said, look, we couldn't use these now even if we wanted to.

I suspect if THAT one gets canceled we might be SOL though.

Edited by EleventyBangBang

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

17 minutes ago, EleventyBangBang said:

It took a bit of back and forth with our PCC but we did get ours extended and applied to our 2021 cruise.  They were set to expire in September, and after they shut down all sailings through then, I just said, look, we couldn't use these now even if we wanted to.

17 minutes ago, EleventyBangBang said:

57 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Of course they were generous in extending it, but that isn't the issue. It did not expire before it was used. It was redeemed and applied to a booking at a time when it was valid. The customer booked and intended to sail within the timeframe agreed upon. NCL has prevented him from sailing by voluntarily or forcibly cancelling his cruise.

I can't imagine anyone, except the clowns over in Miami, arguing  that they prevented the customer from sailing but somehow get to keep the value of the funds validly applied at the time of booking. Think about it....they are arguing against what Peace of Mind is intended to accomplish.

It's all over the website....sail safe, flexible booking. 

They need to start delivering that now. They seem a company that just passes the book around and never deliver.

They need to start delivering that now. They seem a company that just passes the book around and never deliver.

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

but the opportunity to actually use the certificate prior to it expiring was not given to the individual.....   the consumer clearly met all terms of the voucher by booking a cruise prior to it expiring but NCL did not provide the service for the actual voucher.

NCL runs a promo for an opportunity to book a Studio for $100 for a 7 day cruise..... you jump on this great opportunity and buy 5 of them.  A week after the promo they announce that all Studios, across the fleet, are being replaced with volleyball courts by Dec 31, 2020 but they also make the announcement they will have no sailings before Jan 1, 2021...... NCL is not sailing so there is no opportunity to book that Studio prior to the conversion so do you expect a refund?

Same thing with CruiseNext Certificates that were purchased and no opportunity to use them.

I'm normally a NCL cheerleader but these CruiseNext Certificates either have to be put back in the account with a 1 year extension (dated from the day NCL goes to 80% operation) or refund the $125.  

NCL did not complete the agreed contract that the voucher was used to purchase. The expiry date is totally irrelevant . The voucher was used and accepted by NCL, this forms a contract. It doesn't matter if I used old greenbacks or new greenbacks. They still $$$$$$$ .

1 hour ago, hallux said:

What is this to do with a voucher extension? What questions do you want me to answer ? Just don't get what you mean ? Please explain yourself?

Nothing makes sense?

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

It expired when I used it to purchase the cruise contract. NCL cancelled the contract . The have to give me back what they have taken away. This is contract law. So simple. 

10 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

NCL did not complete the agreed contract that the voucher was used to purchase. The expiry date is totally irrelevant . The voucher was used and accepted by NCL, this forms a contract. It doesn't matter if I used old greenbacks or new greenbacks. They still $$$$$$$ .

That's what I said...

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

Thank for explaining that. It feels like I am not getting through to some posters 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Here's how it works when NCL cancels.....

Once the CND were validly applied to the booking, they now carry the same cancellation penalties as any other deposit. Under Peace of Mind, the cancellation penalty is zero. All monies paid in convert to future cruise credit under Peace of Mind.The terms of Peace mind carry the day here, so the new expiration date is the same as the rest of the monies.

Here's how it works when the passenger cancels.....

Once the CND were validly applied to the booking, they now carry the same cancellation penalties as any other deposit. If a passenger cancels, they are subject to NCL regular cancellation policies and penalties. The cruise next certificates are also covered by the same penalties. So, if a passenger cancels in100% penalty period, the certificates are forfeited in full regardless of expiration date.

The expiration date is irrelevant once the CNDs are redeemed at a time they were valid. Simply put, they were redeemed and would have been used in accordance with their terms and condition. The merchant voluntarily or forcibly cancelled the sailing. The passenger doesn't get screwed in this situation.  Just think it through logically and you don't need to rely on contracts, accounting principles, and legal jargon.

So that covers how it works when the guest cancels or when the cruise line cancels, but what about when NEITHER of them cancels? What happens when the government cancels instead? IOW, what happens when the CDC issues a no sail order? 

The guest didn't cancel...they were ready and able to go. The cruise line didn't cancel...they were ready and able to go. The government stepped in and prevented both parties from completing their contractual obligations. 

What happens then, when neither party causes the cancellation?