NCL Not Refunding Cruise Next Vouchers . NCL Cancelled the cruise

Thequietone

What if NCL didn't "extend" the expired Cruise Next Certificate?  What if they permitted the use of an expired certificate to book a cruise as a show of good will?

There is a difference between the above action and extending a CN Certificate for one year -- leaving it in the owner's account for use anytime in the next year.

I don't know what NCL did in the OPs situation or what they have done in others.  But it sounds like people need to ask for the details when they are in this situation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

What if NCL didn't "extend" the expired Cruise Next Certificate?  What if they permitted the use of an expired certificate to book a cruise as a show of good will?

There is a difference between the above action and extending a CN Certificate for one year -- leaving it in the owner's account for use anytime in the next year.

I don't know what NCL did in the OPs situation or what they have done in others.  But it sounds like people need to ask for the details when they are in this situation.

Totally agree. NCL could easily have said, your CNC expires Feb. 2020, done!  

On 7/7/2020 at 4:08 PM, Thequietone said:

NCL have chosen not to return the voucher saying it has expired and can not be used again. This is the issue . The accepted payment with the voucher and not refund

I had the same thing happen.  Used the Cruise Next for August Alaska cruise.  It was to expire in May 2020, but used prior to that date.  My other Cruise Next certificates are in my account, but not that one.  I called and was told the same thing as your situation.  It doesn't make sense.  

For people not understanding, pretend your cruise next expires next January.  You use it today to book a cruise that is in March.  The cruise gets cancelled in February.  They say they will not give you back that credit.  That is what is happening to us.  The one I used I bought from another party, so I was unaware they had already extended the date.

Until we hear from the OP again, we can't know for sure.

I'm wondering if the "extension" was the ability to use the certificate prior to expiration to book a cruise that was after expiration.

Someone else was right, the actual out of pocket for a single CND is around $125 when bought in pairs (which how most are purchased as the original purchaser on board an NCL ship).  I realize that to some extent this does come down to the principle of the matter, but there are also T&C's of the program that the customer agrees to.

It may have been posted before but here is the page for the T&C's of the CruiseNext program - https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms?hide_hf=true

Here are relevant sections of the T&C's - 

7. All CNDs (including Haven and Lite options) are valid for new reservations that book and sail within 4 years from purchase date. CNDs become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of your CND(s). Not applicable towards existing reservations.

9. To cancel a reservation made with a CND, submit your request in accordance with Norwegian Cruise Line cancellation policies and procedures. The CND will be refunded back to the guest Latitudes Rewards account minus any cancellation fees, and will retain its original expiration date. Once a CND is applied to a reservation, it is subject to the same cancellation policy, rules and regulations as any other deposit which can be found on your reservation confirmation.

Yes, I realize that doesn't address the situation of the cruise line cancelling the cruise due to circumstances beyond its control.  The page covering the COVID cancellations also does not cover it, and ambiguity MAY favor the party that didn't write the contract/terms, but I'm not a lawyer.  At some point, the passenger hits a brick wall and has no further recourse other than the courts, but is that $125 purchase cost really worth the time, effort, frustration and fees in a legal battle?  Is the $250 face value even worth it?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sailing Smooth said:

I had the same thing happen.  Used the Cruise Next for August Alaska cruise.  It was to expire in May 2020, but used prior to that date.  My other Cruise Next certificates are in my account, but not that one.  I called and was told the same thing as your situation.  It doesn't make sense.  

For people not understanding, pretend your cruise next expires next January.  You use it today to book a cruise that is in March.  The cruise gets cancelled in February.  They say they will not give you back that credit.  That is what is happening to us.  The one I used I bought from another party, so I was unaware they had already extended the date.

You didn't ask about the expiration date?     Good reminder for others with purchasing from unknown.     

It's not NCL's  decision not to sail,  and it's mandated by health guidelines.    The terms of Cruise Next are quite clear.   It's simply a coupon.  They have gone to 5 years for use-  which frankly,  typically is more than enough time to use it.   

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like there will be any further "extending".   And it certainly isn't worth the time and expense of legal challenges.        If you recently purchased this Cruise Next,  probably wasn't the best choice with the short expiration date anyway.      At the least-   good information for others.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Until we hear from the OP again, we can't know for sure.

I'm wondering if the "extension" was the ability to use the certificate prior to expiration to book a cruise that was after expiration.

Yes, I think so.  In post 42, the OP said that they bought the CN cert in question in Feb. 2016.  So we know that it expired in Feb. 2020.  From the rest of what the OP has said, it seems NCL gave them an extension to be able to apply the cert to a cruise sailing beyond the expiration date.  Per the OP's post number 8, it appears that the extension was given prior to the Feb. 2020 expiration.  

I think the OP's position is that because NCL cancelled the cruise, they should now give the CN cert back to them and allow them to use it on another cruise.  (It's unclear what expiration date the OP thinks should apply now to that cert.)  If that's not the OP's position, I hope they clarify it (as well as correct any dates/facts that we've perhaps incorrectly gleaned from their posts).

The CN people on the ship really push for you to buy four, making it sound like you are getting a better value but the value of buying two is just the same.  In a perfect world where you cruise at least once a year there would be no problem to use them all.  Especially if you can use two at the same time.

But with the cancellations continuing month after month, the time to use them is dwindling.  Yes, NCL should give you an extension if they are expiring.  Yes, NCL should reduce final payment back to 90 days instead of 120.  Yes, NCL should refund well before 90 days.  Yes, NCL should notify you of cancellations before final payment.  We can only hope.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EllieinNJ said:

The CN people on the ship really push for you to buy four, making it sound like you are getting a better value but the value of buying two is just the same.  In a perfect world where you cruise at least once a year there would be no problem to use them all.  Especially if you can use two at the same time.

But with the cancellations continuing month after month, the time to use them is dwindling.  Yes, NCL should give you an extension if they are expiring.  Yes, NCL should reduce final payment back to 90 days instead of 120.  Yes, NCL should refund well before 90 days.  Yes, NCL should notify you of cancellations before final payment.  We can only hope.

Many thanks for the help 🙏 

21 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Totally agree. NCL could easily have said, your CNC expires Feb. 2020, done!  

Their customer service, understanding and empathy seems ridiculous . Can not see me using this company again. None of them can make a decision or do the right thing. It seems like a company run by fear.

2 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

Their customer service, understanding and empathy seems ridiculous . Can not see me using this company again. None of them can make a decision or do the right thing. It seems like a company run by fear.

2 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

The strange and weird thing is they receive the money back when we pay for a cruise? It's not cash out the door for NCL.Totally Nuts.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:07 PM, luv2kroooz said:

I agree they didn't have to extend the date, but they evidently did. If the certificate was redeemed within the extended period, then it, in fact, was not expired and had value when redeemed. The merchant can't void that if it cancels the cruise.

Once a cruise next deposit is redeemed, it is treated like any other deposit and would be subject to the same cancellation penalties associated with any other deposit.

Agree 100% what is the difference? Short sighted company.Very poor

1 hour ago, Thequietone said:

Many thanks for the help 🙏 

I have now had a response from the Vice President of customer services, who instead of dealing with the issue has passed it on to somebody else. That tells a story also.

13 minutes ago, Thequietone said:

Sadly, you are not alone in your feelings of disgust with NCL.  Unfortunately, there may not be much choice anyway.  I'm waiting to see how this whole situation rolls out. 

As far as the customer service goes, there are only certain things they can do for customers, especially under these unprecedented circumstances. The powers that be could have placed very strict policies on what can be done for customers. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, All-ready2cruise said:

Sadly, you are not alone in your feelings of disgust with NCL.  Unfortunately, there may not be much choice anyway.  I'm waiting to see how this whole situation rolls out. 

As far as the customer service goes, there are only certain things they can do for customers, especially under these unprecedented circumstances. The powers that be could have placed very strict policies on what can be done for customers. 

I have been extremely lucky and travelled the world on ships. 

I have travelled many brands including MSC, Regent, Star Clippers, Royal, Celebrity , Costa etc.

I have never experienced such poor understanding of guests and customer service. 

Their attitude is not good even when I have an email from them confirming I will receive my voucher on the cruise they cancelled. 

Will update as soon as they decide to respond. 

• Like 1

All you have to do is read the terms of the contract NCL wrote, "Once a CND is applied to a reservation, it is subject to the same cancellation policy, rules and regulations as any other deposit which can be found on your reservation confirmation.".

So, if you're regular deposit is subject to FCC based on peace of mind, the CND converts to Peace of Mind. It doesn't just vanish...plus, this just makes good common sense. When you bought cruise next, you agreed to book and sail. So, you've upheld your end of the deal. Problem is, NCL voluntarily cancelled in you.

They love to change the terms and conditions to make it fit whatever financial result they want to achieve. But they can't. They are stuck with the contract they wrote.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

All you have to do is read the terms of the contract NCL wrote, "Once a CND is applied to a reservation, it is subject to the same cancellation policy, rules and regulations as any other deposit which can be found on your reservation confirmation.".

So, if you're regular deposit is subject to FCC based on peace of mind, the CND converts to Peace of Mind. It doesn't just vanish...plus, this just makes good common sense. When you bought cruise next, you agreed to book and sail. So, you've upheld your end of the deal. Problem is, NCL voluntarily cancelled in you.

They love to change the terms and conditions to make it fit whatever financial result they want to achieve. But they can't. They are stuck with the contract they wrote.

Brilliant ,just the break I needed. Thank you so much 

On 7/9/2020 at 8:32 PM, Sailing Smooth said:

They are breaking their contract . Definitely pursue 

16 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

As luv2kroooz has said once a  CND has been applied it should be treated as any other deposit. In that case did you get the face value of the now expired  cert built into your FCC? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the wandering two said:

As luv2kroooz has said once a  CND has been applied it should be treated as any other deposit. In that case did you get the face value of the now expired  cert built into your FCC? 

Excellent this is what I thought . Just find it hard to believe Norwegian Cruise Line try to avoid honouring their contract and bully the guests. Very short sighted and my view is their business will be bought out of the ashes of the Covid-19 crisis. Lying and cheating is not great business practice and there is always a judgement day.

On 7/9/2020 at 3:34 PM, hallux said:

9. To cancel a reservation made with a CND, submit your request in accordance with Norwegian Cruise Line cancellation policies and procedures. The CND will be refunded back to the guest Latitudes Rewards account minus any cancellation fees, and will retain its original expiration date. Once a CND is applied to a reservation, it is subject to the same cancellation policy, rules and regulations as any other deposit which can be found on your reservation confirmation.

@Thequietone that section of the T&C of course applies to a cruise cancelled by the guest. In your case, NCL cancelled.  Can you please clearly state exactly what you want NCL to do here with your CN certificate that you bought in Feb. 2016 -- do you want the certificate restored to your Latitudes account and, if so, with what expiration date?  Or do you want some type of cash refund for it and, if so, what?  Or something else entirely?   Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

@Thequietone that section of the T&C of course applies to a cruise cancelled by the guest. In your case, NCL cancelled.  Can you please clearly state exactly what you want NCL to do here with your CN certificate that you bought in Feb. 2016 -- do you want the certificate restored to your Latitudes account and, if so, with what expiration date?  Or do you want some type of cash refund for it and, if so, what?  Or something else entirely?   Thank you.

Just reinstated so I can book another cruise. Just want the terms and conditions for the contract that they have written. No a penny more not a penny less. Just need the them to treat customers fairly and as per contract. 

Could not be clearer from their own terms and conditions.

Temporary Peace of Mind Cancellation Policy for Summer 2020:

- Cancellation may occur until 48 hours prior to holiday date for sailings up to and before 30 September 2020 that haven’t been affected by our suspended sailings for a 100% future cruise credit (FCC) which may be redeemed on ANY NCL sailing embarking on or before 31 December 2022.

- Holiday date includes any pre hotel packages booked through NCL.

- Future Cruise Credit will include all components of the reservation that have been paid. Including but not limited to: Cruise fare and taxes - Including any winning Upgrade Advantage payments, Flight/hotel arrangements booked through NCL, Shore Excursions booked and pre-paid through NCL, Prepaid service charges and Free at Sea Package charge (UK & Ireland).

On 7/7/2020 at 9:17 AM, KSSS2013 said:

Cruise next certificates have an expiration date. What was the actual expiration date of the certificates? 

For example, I have one that expires December of 2020, I booked a cruise for November of 2021 and requested that they be extended as payment for that cruise. NCL permitted that. They made me aware that if I cancel that November 2021 cruise after December of this year, they will go away. It's the same situation if you just didn't use the cert, they're worthless after their expiration date.

I think you're missing the point....   You're example is not what happened to the OP...  You're example is if "you" cancel.... then absolutely you should lose the certificate but the OP was cancelled by NCL and this should be extended at a minimum until NCL is fully operational. 

I have memberships to a gym, a movie theater, etc that expired during the government mandated closure...... each and every membership was extended the exact amount of time they were closed.  Heck, even states are extending expired licenses and vehicle registrations because they were shut down. 

Granted, everything is fluid and crazy but scolding someone for having 4 (or 5) years to use is not the best way to talk about this.  I have a stash of them (buy a bunch at a time) and I cruise at least 2 times a year but in 2020 where 3 were cancelled...  I am juggling the expiration dates because the ones I bought in 2017 were used for bookings in 2019, 2020, and 2021..... now I have 3 that I have to use, sell, or eat and I used them according to the T&C's that extenuating circumstances beyond my (and NCL's) control penalize me. 

Lesson learned.....by 2 at a time at most. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I think you're missing the point....   You're example is not what happened to the OP...  You're example is if "you" cancel.... then absolutely you should lose the certificate but the OP was cancelled by NCL and this should be extended at a minimum until NCL is fully operational. 

I have memberships to a gym, a movie theater, etc that expired during the government mandated closure...... each and every membership was extended the exact amount of time they were closed.  Heck, even states are extending expired licenses and vehicle registrations because they were shut down. 

Granted, everything is fluid and crazy but scolding someone for having 4 (or 5) years to use is not the best way to talk about this.  I have a stash of them (buy a bunch at a time) and I cruise at least 2 times a year but in 2020 where 3 were cancelled...  I am juggling the expiration dates because the ones I bought in 2017 were used for bookings in 2019, 2020, and 2021..... now I have 3 that I have to use, sell, or eat and I used them according to the T&C's that extenuating circumstances beyond my (and NCL's) control penalize me. 

Lesson learned.....by 2 at a time at most. 

For me it shows you the business mentality of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL). This is a contract they are trying to breach, their own contract. No management is grasping the issue they are all passing the book.

The reinstatement of a voucher for a cruise NCL cancelled is just 100% clear. The voucher then goes back to them and is used to buy another cruise.

Very different to the approach taken by all other cruise lines, I use. Celebrity and Royal are 100% focused on customer loyalty.

In the UK we have a charge back law( Section 75) to our credit card company if a company does not honour their contract. I have just written to MasterCard and filed a claim for the whole amount, the four deposits we bought. They can then argue with MasterCard that they didn't break their sale contract with the Cruise Next deposits.

The Vice President of Customer Service Sally-Anne Beasly just passed me on copying in three other managers. This tells a story.

1 hour ago, Thequietone said:

Just reinstated so I can book another cruise. Just want the terms and conditions for the contract that they have written. No a penny more not a penny less. Just need the them to treat customers fairly and as per contract. 

Reinstated with what expiration date?  CN certs have expiration dates.  Yours was expiring, and NCL gave you an extension so you could use it to book a cruise sailing after the expiration date.  So if NCL "reinstates" the cert, what should the expiration date be?    You have not been very clear here in this thread with folks who are trying to help you; I hope you have been clearer with NCL. 

What specific contract are you talking about?