Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

Pfizer is continuing to show real world effectiveness of its vaccine and also has follow up data from its clinical trial in S.Africa against the S Africa variant with very good protection.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pfizer-says-trials-suggest-covid-vaccine-works-against-south-african-n1262710

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One bit of good news out of the recent Pfizer study is that it did include participants in South Africa and does appear to provide protection against B.1.351 variant. 6 cases of B.1.351 did turn up in the placebo group 0 in the treated group. Small numbers but good Indicator.

The AZ vaccine demonstrated only 10% efficacy against the same variant in a trial in South Africa

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nocl said:

you posted while I was typing similar info

Yes this is really very good news.  I was modifying my post to indicate that the S Africa data was from a follow up in their clinical trial (and not from real world numbers yet). 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

J and J apparently  having setbacks,,,????

There is one contract manufacturing plant in Baltimore for the J&J vaccine that had an issue with one ingredient that did not pass quality control standards.  The batch was in bulk before filling in vials and so the bulk was not released.  It happens.  Temporary set back at one plant with one batch.  Unfortunate but not much to really worry about.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/983259489/j-j-reports-vaccine-batch-ruined-at-baltimore-factory

• Like 1

My thoughts on April 1, 2020.

There will be several COVID vaccines developed that have high efficacy in clinical trials by year end and the US will have over 140 million doses administered in one year.  APRIL FOOLS!  Glad I was wrong.

My thoughts on April 1, 2021.

The pandemic will be over by year end and we will all be cruising out of US ports.  (April Fools??).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My thoughts on April 1, 2020.

There will be several COVID vaccines developed that have high efficacy in clinical trials by year end and the US will have over 140 million doses administered in one year.  APRIL FOOLS!  Glad I was wrong.

My thoughts on April 1, 2021.

The pandemic will be over by year end and we will all be cruising out of US ports.  (April Fools??).

A comment about travel and vaccines.

Since all vaccines are under emergency use governments (not businesses) cannot mandate their use.  After full approval is obtained - not my area of expertise - they can be required legally.  The above was discussed regarding travelers entering my state.

Found my yellow fever and other exotic vaccination data - both ancient and from about 10 years ago - in data base at our state health dept.  Guess Coved there too.  Is that data on my passport renewed last year?  No idea.

Update on Novavax trial in Scotland.

I attended clinic today in Aberdeen Royal infirmary, and entered “crossover” phase of the trial.

New study protocol to read and sign, followed by BP, temperature and O2 checks, then throat and nasal swabs (urgh!), then blood sample for antibody tests and finally an injection.
I’m still blinded, but I now know for certain I’ve had at least one vaccine shot. Today or last October, but who cares?

Back in three weeks for second injection.

I did ask today about how these injections are being recorded and had it confirmed that all details are being passed to my GP for him to include in my personal medical records. I will also be given a certificate of vaccination after my visit in 3 weeks time.

7 hours on after injection and I am beginning to develop a slight headache.........

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Selfish stupid attitude IMO.

So it's selfish for me to have an opinion, selfish of me not to roll up my sleeve every time the government says we need to inject a serum for a virus that is 98% survivable.

I thought it was my body my choice and you have a problem with that?

I find it interesting that almost 30-35% of health officials have refused to take the vaccine up to this point, what do they know that we don't?

You know where this headed right, vaccine passports for travel, to go to the market, to see a movie at a theatre, to go shopping at a mall........

• Thanks 1

We do realize that someone calling the COVID Vaccine a ‘serum’ means they have no idea what they are posting about. And we do realize anyone insisting their immune system will fight off COVID means they have no idea what they are posting about, and they overlook one of the points of getting the vaccine is to also protect others.

But what does that matter. 

Den

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

A comment about travel and vaccines.

Since all vaccines are under emergency use governments (not businesses) cannot mandate their use.  After full approval is obtained - not my area of expertise - they can be required legally.  The above was discussed regarding travelers entering my state.

Found my yellow fever and other exotic vaccination data - both ancient and from about 10 years ago - in data base at our state health dept.  Guess Coved there too.  Is that data on my passport renewed last year?  No idea.

Technically according to the law that gives the FDA to grant emergency authorization approvals it states that products that have been given such status are not to be considered unapproved.

So according to the law the product does have legal status and the government could require it, just as other vaccines are required.  Now just because they could does not mean that they will.  There is not prior precedent concerning a vaccine.  But then again there has never been a situation like this where there was a clear unmet medical need with this level of urgency.  Now if I recall the reg correctly an EUA only last a year or until retracted.  As such you will see the vaccine manufacturers filing with a full application soon.

There is plenty of precedent of vaccines that gone through the full process being required.  Most if not all of those have been required in terms of you must be vaccinated to do X (children attend public school for example, or to travel to country Y).  Not in terms of facing criminal penalty if you don't. Would expect any requirement to be similar

Would not be surprised in Hawaii were to require it for travel there.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Here is a summary from the CDC of virus variants tracked in different parts of the US by state.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/transmission/variant-cases.html

And more info on COVID variants and the data on all of the current vaccines.  Nice chart.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/948335?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=370300SV&impID=3281482&faf=1

An unsurprising gem in the second article:

"Moderna and Novovax have also announced that they will develop strain-specific multivalent vaccines to better take on the variants

2 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

So it's selfish for me to have an opinion, selfish of me not to roll up my sleeve every time the government says we need to inject a serum for a virus that is 98% survivable.

I thought it was my body my choice and you have a problem with that?

I find it interesting that almost 30-35% of health officials have refused to take the vaccine up to this point, what do they know that we don't?

You know where this headed right, vaccine passports for travel, to go to the market, to see a movie at a theatre, to go shopping at a mall........

So you're ok with helping spread virus to the 2% that won't survive? Just how many people is that?

Of the 98% that survive, what percent spend significant time in the hospital? Or suffer long-lasting symptoms? You're fine with contributing to that, or not doing your part to prevent it?

If find it interesting that of the "Selfish stupid attitude IMO" comment, you only took issue with the "selfish" part.

I do apologize for any offense. That's not my intent. I really want to get on with enjoying life and cruising. Ignorance of the real effects of COVID is just going to make this take longer. Possibly longer than the 2 years you referenced earlier for another pandemic. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, D C said:

"Moderna and Novovax have also announced that they will develop strain-specific multivalent vaccines to better take on the variants

Yes just like seasonal influenza vaccines.  I imagine it would be easier to do this for the mRNA vaccines.  A big advantage.    For Novavax it is a bit more complicated having to make and purify the proteins from each variant strain and then mix them in the vials and characterize them.

So it has been reported that the Pfizer vaccine remains highly effective after six months.  The article quotes an expert as saying that hopefully the protection might last for years, but we won't know until we know.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn/index.html

This sounds like good news, but for those who received a vaccine early, they could be well beyond six months by the time they board one of the recently announced summer cruises. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

So it has been reported that the Pfizer vaccine remains highly effective after six months.  The article quotes an expert as saying that hopefully the protection might last for years, but we won't know until we know.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/01/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-efficacy-six-months-bn/index.html

This sounds like good news, but for those who received a vaccine early, they could be well beyond six months by the time they board one of the recently announced summer cruises. 

Delete

Edited by Fouremco

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There is one contract manufacturing plant in Baltimore for the J&J vaccine that had an issue with one ingredient that did not pass quality control standards.  The batch was in bulk before filling in vials and so the bulk was not released.  It happens.  Temporary set back at one plant with one batch.  Unfortunate but not much to really worry about.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/31/983259489/j-j-reports-vaccine-batch-ruined-at-baltimore-factory

It is kind of ironic that the 1 plant that messes up is one that is also manufacturing the AZ vaccine.  I am starting to think the vaccine should go on the list with broken mirrors, black cats, walking under ladders, etc.

52 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

If all goes well in another 3 months they will be saying atleast 9 and in another 6 months hopefully at least 12.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, zitsky said:

I was just looking at an article about entry rules for different countries.  I'm watching Spain and Portugal.  Neither is letting US citizens in.  Hope it changes by August (final payment) or November (cruise).  Whoops!

Australia and New Zealand closed through end of year! I am still hopeful for Feb 2022! 🤞🏼🤞🏼

1 hour ago, HskrCrsr said:

So you're ok with helping spread virus to the 2% that won't survive? Just how many people is that?

Of the 98% that survive, what percent spend significant time in the hospital? Or suffer long-lasting symptoms? You're fine with contributing to that, or not doing your part to prevent it?

If find it interesting that of the "Selfish stupid attitude IMO" comment, you only took issue with the "selfish" part.

I do apologize for any offense. That's not my intent. I really want to get on with enjoying life and cruising. Ignorance of the real effects of COVID is just going to make this take longer. Possibly longer than the 2 years you referenced earlier for another pandemic. 

2%?  Of those who have gotten Covid worldwide?  Just a tiny number of 2,834,407.

Much easier to say 2% and not 2+ million I suppose....

7 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

2%?  Of those who have gotten Covid worldwide?  Just a tiny number of 2,834,407.

Much easier to say 2% and not 2+ million I suppose....

As we learn more and develop more effective therapeutics, that 2% figure may decrease. That 2,834,407 figure has nowhere to go but up. May the odds be ever in your favor, I suppose.

I must give Need2cruisesoon some credit, though. Even if I don't like the usage, the 98% figure is essentially the correct, current one, much better than those who use the number of deaths compared to the entire population and claim something like 99.9+% survivable. 🤔

7 minutes ago, HskrCrsr said:

As we learn more and develop more effective therapeutics, that 2% figure may decrease. That 2,834,407 figure has nowhere to go but up. May the odds be ever in your favor, I suppose.

I must give Need2cruisesoon some credit, though. Even if I don't like the usage, the 98% figure is essentially the correct, current one, much better than those who use the number of deaths compared to the entire population and claim something like 99.9+% survivable. 🤔

You can use the entire population on any death due to a virus and probably get 99.9+%, but that's not the correct way to figure it out...

3 hours ago, D C said:

we  feel  lucky we got the Moderna vaccine and hope we  stay with that brand for any boosters. 

Would not take J and J at the moment. In our opinion, the response to the Md facility standards  issue was itself

" a bit sloppy"