Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

12 hours ago, LGW59 said:

2 Moderna shots under our belt, well in our arms, and we head for 5 weeks on Saturday to Cape Cod.  First thing we plan to do on Saturday night, go and sit INSIDE (first time since March 2020) a restaurant on the beach, eat dinner without a mask, drink, laugh with friends...just pretend we are normal.  To quote Celine Dion; It's All Coming Back To Me now!

We are in Maine this week and took my FIL out for his birthday at an indoor restaurant.  No masks needed at the table when dining.  It almost felt normal!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pinboy said:

( Hope you don't mind that I added a bit above )

Excellent, as always-- and Thanks for taking the time and effort to inform people like myself --appreciate it.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, docsneeze said:

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it."  (Paraphrased)  Agree with you but if I was a cruise corporation, I would not only be concerned with the health aspects but particularly the potential legal implications if even one Covid infection could occur on a ship.  Therefore, I believe that 100% vaccination could be the requirement unless physical disability (previous vaccine anaphylaxis) precludes administration.  I advise my patients to take the vaccine because of the personal freedom it affords them, if for no other reason.  The numbers will be there but in 2-3 years may be miniscule if we have an active pandemic watch strategy going forward that actually listens to the scientists and vaccination strategies that make sense.  By the way, this same delivery system for mRNA is being explored for a variety of other conditions including cancer.  Can't think of anyone who would refuse a vaccine in that situation.

So if the CDC gives wiggle room (ie, 95%-98%) does that give the cruise lines some cover for the inevitable law suits?  Yes I am very excited for the use of mRNA technology for other vaccines like influenza and for other therapeutic applications.  It has the potential to be quite transforming in medicine.

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So if the CDC gives wiggle room (ie, 95%-98%) does that give the cruise lines some cover for the inevitable law suits?  Yes I am very excited for the use of mRNA technology for other vaccines like influenza and for other therapeutic applications.  It has the potential to be quite transforming in medicine.

We did our online check-in yesterday for our June 12th cruise out of Sint Maarten. You basically have to sign a release for anything Covid related. The cruiseline really covered all the bases to prevent any lawsuits if someone gets infected.

24 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

We did our online check-in yesterday for our June 12th cruise out of Sint Maarten. You basically have to sign a release for anything Covid related. The cruiseline really covered all the bases to prevent any lawsuits if someone gets infected.

Did you have to submit proof of vaccinations for the online check in?

45 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We are in Maine this week and took my FIL out for his birthday at an indoor restaurant.  No masks needed at the table when dining.  It almost felt normal!

My wife and I did that that this past Friday.  Our first dinner out since August.  We went to a place we used to routinely go to once or twice a month before the pandemic hit.  We also went to a bar for a couple of hours to visit a friend (she was the bartender) that we hadn't seen well over a year.  All of us vaccinated.  Proper social distancing all around.  Except we did give hugs.  (Again, all vaccinated.) It was absolutely glorious.

45 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

My wife and I did that that this past Friday.  Our first dinner out since August.  We went to a place we used to routinely go to once or twice a month before the pandemic hit.  We also went to a bar for a couple of hours to visit a friend (she was the bartender) that we hadn't seen well over a year.  All of us vaccinated.  Proper social distancing all around.  Except we did give hugs.  (Again, all vaccinated.) It was absolutely glorious.

We have a local wine shop and restaurant that we've been able to go to in person since sometime later in 2020. They've become friends over the years. They'd gone retail/carry-out only for a long time, then eventually open for dining, with wine tastings outdoors under a tent. In theory, if all continues as expected, Virginia will lift all capacity limits in about a month. Not sure about indoor mask requirements. I'm not sure how far they're going to push back to "normal" at first. They used to have crowds of 100 or more at their tasting bar on Friday nights, and while I'm sure they'd like the business, I don't know they want to jump straight back there. And I think they're clientele appreciate their caution. I'm glad I'm not in that business having to make those decisions!

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Did you have to submit proof of vaccinations for the online check in?

We did not have to submit proof online. There was a note though that stated to bring your original CDC Covid vaccination card with you to check in at the port. They said no copies or photo of the card would be accepted.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, larry_s_taco said:

We did not have to submit proof online. There was a note though that stated to bring your original CDC Covid vaccination card with you to check in at the port. They said no copies or photo of the card would be accepted.

Did they specify the CDC card or did they use a more generic term? Obviously, there are many vaccinated passengers who live outside the US and don't have CDC cards.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Did they specify the CDC card or did they use a more generic term? Obviously, there are many vaccinated passengers who live outside the US and don't have CDC cards.

My error. They did not specify, "CDC".

• Like 1

This was just posted on a few news websites:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday will ease indoor mask-wearing guidance for fully vaccinated people, allowing them to safely stop wearing masks inside in most places, according to a person briefed on the announcement.

The new guidance will still call for wearing masks in crowded indoor settings like buses, planes, hospitals, prisons and homeless shelters, but could ease restrictions for reopening workplaces and schools.

It will also no longer recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks outdoors in crowds. The announcement comes as the CDC and the Biden administration have faced pressure to ease restrictions on fully vaccinated people — people who are two weeks past their last required COVID-19 vaccine dose — in part to highlight the benefits of getting the shot.

Since there are probably 128 threads that this could be added to, I’ll just add it here.

Den

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday will ease indoor mask-wearing guidance for fully vaccinated people, allowing them to safely stop wearing masks inside in most places, according to a person briefed on the announcement.

The new guidance will still call for wearing masks in crowded indoor settings like buses, planes, hospitals, prisons and homeless shelters, but could ease restrictions for reopening workplaces and schools.

It will also no longer recommend that fully vaccinated people wear masks outdoors in crowds. The announcement comes as the CDC and the Biden administration have faced pressure to ease restrictions on fully vaccinated people — people who are two weeks past their last required COVID-19 vaccine dose — in part to highlight the benefits of getting the shot.

Since there are probably 128 threads that this could be added to, I’ll just add it here.

Den

How are they going to monitor this for indoor dining?   Everyone is just going to take off their masks unless there is a way to verify they have been vaccinated. 

Maybe it's time to let people be responsible for themselved?

Why is it any of your business if they have been vaccinated?  You have a better chance of being struck by lightening than of getting a serious case of Covid from someone if you are already vaccinated

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

I am so going to miss my beautiful N-95, has become a valued friend!!!   BYE BYE N-95, please do not ever show up here again!!!!!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Christine Frances said:

How are they going to monitor this for indoor dining?   Everyone is just going to take off their masks unless there is a way to verify they have been vaccinated. 

Well, if you're unvaccinated, you're taking your life in your own hands.  It's your right, of course, but it's stupid.

• Like 1

There’s one Big problem with going maskless! I’ve been smirking and sticking my tongue out at various appropriate (and inappropriate) times…..And I know I’ll forget I dont have a mask and that will be fun!

Oh well. 

And as to being concerned that those that won’t get vaccinated will take their masks off and ‘we’ won’t know….that’s been happening already. Many of those you see since this whole thing started who refused to wear masks probably are the ones who havent/wont get vaccinated. Just life in a diverse, open society. 

And I’ll disagree that this is ‘finally’ some step towards personal responsibility. I think those that wear masks Did take personal responsibility for themselves and the entire community, especially those that continued to wear one after being vaccinated, most of that was for others. 

Enough. Private companies, including Cruise Lines can still require either vaccinations and proof and wearing masks in some venue. 

Den

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And I’ll disagree that this is ‘finally’ some step towards personal responsibility. I think those that wear masks Did take personal responsibility for themselves and the entire community, especially those that continued to wear one after being vaccinated, most of that was for others. 

Early on that was the case.  Mask wearing was appropriate and necessary.  But it's different now.  The vaccines are effective.   Vaccines are readily available to every adult in the country.   So if someone chooses not to get vaccinated, they need to protect themselves from other unvaccinated people.  If they choose not to get vaccinated and they are assuming the risk.  Vaccinated people do not pose a risk to anyone and should be allowed to return to normal. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Early on that was the case.  Mask wearing was appropriate and necessary.  But it's different now.  The vaccines are effective.   Vaccines are readily available to every adult in the country.   So if someone chooses not to get vaccinated, they need to protect themselves from other unvaccinated people.  If they choose not to get vaccinated and they are assuming the risk.  Vaccinated people do not pose a risk to anyone and should be allowed to return to normal. 

I guess that’s why we now have new guidance. 

Den

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

So I guess the answer to your initial question is YES!!!   :classic_biggrin:

Ok hopefully the CDC will apply the exact same guidelines to cruises.  Anybody want to bet they don’t?

• Like 1