The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Not hard choosing a photo for the next couple of days.  I have only one each for December 2 and 3.  Today's is from my 2016 Cunard-Seabourn combination.  December 2 was my last stretch at sea on Queen Elizabeth before transferring to Seabourn.

dawn1202.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

11 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

One good thing about it being post-Thanksgiving here in the US:  OLoPP no longer gives me a quick "too early" when I start humming Christmas carols. 

hehe. Just out of curiosity, at what point does the “too late” flag kick in?  I always find couples’ negotiated holiday footprints interesting — regardless of whether it’s unilateral or bilateral.

Vince

I have cruised a lot more in October and November than in December and for a while my photos will be from the Prinsendam half of my 2013 Symphony-Prinsendam combination.  On December 5 we were in Macapa, Brazil.

dawn1205.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BWIVince said:

hehe. Just out of curiosity, at what point does the “too late” flag kick in?  I always find couples’ negotiated holiday footprints interesting — regardless of whether it’s unilateral or bilateral.

Vince

Around here, it starts when the tree goes up (around the 15th) and ends Dec 26/27. Before or after, carols are verboten in the house!! 🙂 There used to be an unwritten rule in Canada that Christmas could not start until after Nov 11. Sadly that has gone by the wayside in recent years, and one local radio station went all Christmas on Nov 1!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Around here, it starts when the tree goes up (around the 15th) and ends Dec 26/27. Before or after, carols are verboten in the house!! 🙂 There used to be an unwritten rule in Canada that Christmas could not start until after Nov 11. Sadly that has gone by the wayside in recent years, and one local radio station went all Christmas on Nov 1!!

Ouch!

Roy

9 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

Interesting, I never thought about it.  My holiday humming seems to pretty much organically fade away right after the holiday, and I'm not interest in probing for a boundary.

I mean, you should have seen me that one time I tried to leave the house in white linen after Labor Day... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/4/2020 at 8:17 AM, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 sequence of QM2, QE, and Seabourne Odyssey.  December 4 I arrived in Southampton and started a train journey to Lisbon for the Odyssey.

Hi Roy!  Is your train journey from Southampton to Lisbon discussed in any of your blogs?  If so, could you give me the link so I can read it?  I have really enjoyed reading all your travel blogs for the last few years, but I don't remember this train trip.  I'm considering doing something similar but in reverse from Lisbon to somewhere in northern Europe.  

Thanks,

`Nancy

25 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Hi Roy!  Is your train journey from Southampton to Lisbon discussed in any of your blogs?  If so, could you give me the link so I can read it?  I have really enjoyed reading all your travel blogs for the last few years, but I don't remember this train trip.  I'm considering doing something similar but in reverse from Lisbon to somewhere in northern Europe.  

Thanks,

`Nancy

Here's a link to the day I disembarked QE and started the train journey.

https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/day-qe12-sunday-december-4-2016-disembark-queen-elizabeth/

There should be an arrow near the upper right hand corner of the screen to go to the next 2 days.

Roy

• Like 1

That was a quick response Roy!  I really appreciate the link to the seat61 website.  I am also planning on staying at the Avenida Palace hotel in Lisbon!  I had reservations there for this past June when I was supposed to board the Symphony.  I've not been to Portugal and since I have a voucher from my cancelled flight from San Francisco to Lisbon that must be used by May 2022 I plan on going in spring of 2022.  Your train trip blog gives me some ideas for the future so I can have fun researching the Europe trains.

Thank you!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info

Misadventures in Cooking: Part 4

The October Surprise

October is a big month here at the Chez.  There’s an anniversary (37!) and a birthday (OLoPP’s.)  No number there as I want to make it to 38.

So this means some special cooking.  The kind that’s oh-so-good but oh-so-bad for you.  The kind you do on or around big dates just to make sure you only do it once a year, then lie about to your cardiologist.

I’m talking about the fettuccine that is named for that Alfredo fella.

Now the Fettuccine Alfredo I make is not as bad for you as the classic recipe.  The classic uses a metric ton of butter (yum!) while I get by with some butter (2 tbsp) and a lot of cream (remember I said “not as bad for you.”  That doesn’t equate to “good for you.”)  Oh, and a fair amount of freshly grated high quality Parmesan (might as well spring for Reggiano for this dish.)

Making it isn’t that hard.  It’s just one of those dishes where everything happens right at the end, and you can’t turn your back on it for a moment.  And you need everyone sitting down, forks at the ready, when you plate it because it starts to thicken and can turn gloppy on you within a minute or two, tops. Mangia!

So I get OLoPP all settled down and present my latest triumph.  Here’s the surprise part: I whip out a truffle shaver and some beautiful white truffles.  It was fall here in NA, so the Alba truffles were, and are, in season.  And I commence to shower that plate with their pungent goodness.  We are talking pure, unadulterated, indulgent bliss.

Some things about Alba truffles: you’ve seen photos from hoity-toity restaurants about the arrival of the first truffles of the season.  They usually make a big show of displaying them in a humidor, and there’s  good reason for that.  These things have an incredibly short shelf (meaning refrigerator) life.  An open tin of caviar is a pantry staple compared to truffles.  I know this because I had some left over.  We consumed them on scrambled eggs two days later (use a little cream, fresh chives for garnish) and when I went to shave them, they had already turned to chalk.  There are all sorts of exotic ways to preserve them out on the internet.  I suspect none of them are truly successful.  If you’re ever tempted to order these beauties, my advice is to time their  arrival for the day of consumption, and only order enough for the dish you’re serving them with that day.

So, in conclusion, I am not a person to be truffled with.  Ha!

In our next episode: Ken sates his yearning (no, not that, cut it out.)

As always, be safe and be well.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

The October Surprise

October is a big month here at the Chez.  There’s an anniversary (37!) and a birthday (OLoPP’s.)  No number there as I want to make it to 38.

So this means some special cooking.  The kind that’s oh-so-good but oh-so-bad for you.  The kind you do on or around big dates just to make sure you only do it once a year, then lie about to your cardiologist.

Now look what you’ve gone and done......

I’m gonna have to make yet another call to the Trust Attorney first thing tomorrow and slot you back into the will. I was forced to remove your name after our distant parting of the ways over the Thanksgiving meal brouhaha.

I’m ordering take out twice a month from our local, famous* Italian trattoria Montecatini in an effort to support them during Covid (currently only open for take out Thu/Fri/Sat). Last night was my night to patronize them, and I ordered, yes, wait for it.......Fettuccine. And, yes, as you may have guessed, the Alfredo dude version. And tonight I polished off the leftovers. 

But I’ll have to speak with Chef Ermes about including those delicious truffles. I’ll tell him they’re what makes the dish at the Chez, and leave it up to him to try and locate your website, contact and investor relations info. Your stock ticker, please? 

* Montecatini opened for the first time at 5pm October 17, 1989. Exactly 4 minutes before the San Francisco Loma Prieta earthquake struck at 5:04pm. Chef/Owner Ermes has been there since day 1. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Here's a link to the day I disembarked QE and started the train journey.

https://getawaysfrom21044.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/day-qe12-sunday-december-4-2016-disembark-queen-elizabeth/

There should be an arrow near the upper right hand corner of the screen to go to the next 2 days.

Roy

Roy,

Thanks for the link. I much enjoyed your rail adventures from London to Lisbon. I, too, have been thrown by the ticket validation thing!

Also love the Avenida Palace, as does Nancygp! 

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 2

A last (for now) photo from the Prinsendam Amazon cruise.  On Pearl Harbor day we visited Boca de Valeria:

dawn1207.jpg

A final comment on the Avenida Palace.  My last port of call on Queen Elizabeth was Lisbon and I took one of my bags from QE then and stored it at the Avenida.  I had pre-arranged the storage but was impressed that when I arrived with the bag they greeted me by name.  They even offered me loan of an umbrella for my stay in Lisbon.

Roy

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

The October Surprise

Now the Fettuccine Alfredo I make is not as bad for you as the classic recipe.  The classic uses a metric ton of butter (yum!) while I get by with some butter (2 tbsp) and a lot of cream (remember I said “not as bad for you.”  That doesn’t equate to “good for you.”)  Oh, and a fair amount of freshly grated high quality Parmesan (might as well spring for Reggiano for this dish.)

Making it isn’t that hard.  It’s just one of those dishes where everything happens right at the end, and you can’t turn your back on it for a moment.  And you need everyone sitting down, forks at the ready, when you plate it because it starts to thicken and can turn gloppy on you within a minute or two, tops. Mangia!

So I get OLoPP all settled down and present my latest triumph.  Here’s the surprise part: I whip out a truffle shaver and some beautiful white truffles.  It was fall here in NA, so the Alba truffles were, and are, in season.  And I commence to shower that plate with their pungent goodness.  We are talking pure, unadulterated, indulgent bliss.

Some things about Alba truffles: you’ve seen photos from hoity-toity restaurants about the arrival of the first truffles of the season.  They usually make a big show of displaying them in a humidor, and there’s  good reason for that.  These things have an incredibly short shelf (meaning refrigerator) life.  An open tin of caviar is a pantry staple compared to truffles.  I know this because I had some left over.  We consumed them on scrambled eggs two days later (use a little cream, fresh chives for garnish) and when I went to shave them, they had already turned to chalk.  There are all sorts of exotic ways to preserve them out on the internet.  I suspect none of them are truly successful.  If you’re ever tempted to order these beauties, my advice is to time their  arrival for the day of consumption, and only order enough for the dish you’re serving them with that day.

So, in conclusion, I am not a person to be truffled with.  Ha!

In our next episode: Ken sates his yearning (no, not that, cut it out.)

As always, be safe and be well.

Thanks for your advice with the truffels. We love them and we are not ordering them for home because for the two of us we would need maybe 20 gr. The delivery of them starts at larger portions.

Your fettuccine  sounds good 👌. To serve them with the truffles you could eliminate the cream and just use butter and Parmesan. Also delicious 😋 and like you say not too bad for you 😉

Ivi

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BEAV said:

Now look what you’ve gone and done......

I’m gonna have to make yet another call to the Trust Attorney first thing tomorrow and slot you back into the will. I was forced to remove your name after our distant parting of the ways over the Thanksgiving meal brouhaha.

I’m ordering take out twice a month from our local, famous* Italian trattoria Montecatini in an effort to support them during Covid (currently only open for take out Thu/Fri/Sat). Last night was my night to patronize them, and I ordered, yes, wait for it.......Fettuccine. And, yes, as you may have guessed, the Alfredo dude version. And tonight I polished off the leftovers. 

But I’ll have to speak with Chef Ermes about including those delicious truffles. I’ll tell him they’re what makes the dish at the Chez, and leave it up to him to try and locate your website, contact and investor relations info. Your stock ticker, please? 

* Montecatini opened for the first time at 5pm October 17, 1989. Exactly 4 minutes before the San Francisco Loma Prieta earthquake struck at 5:04pm. Chef/Owner Ermes has been there since day 1. 

Beav,

Nice to know I'm back in the good graces of my most enthusiastic reader (heck, it's nice to know someone is reading my meanderings.)

So I searched on Montecatini.  Definitely looks like one of those satisfying places you go when, if you're not in the mood for the Alfredo, you just have them hook you up to a red sauce IV.

BTW, when you search on it, the engine also helpfully suggests "Montecatini Eating Disorder Center."  Huh.

This Friday I plan to make one of my personal favorites: chicken parm.  It's not the classic prep, as I make it in an air fryer (you know, the healthy alternative to hot oil frying.) But boy, is it good. 

All this talk of red sauce reminded me of something I hadn't thought of in years.  I grew up in Omaha NE.  Omaha, as you might imagine, has a lot of steakhouses.  Back in the day, they were all family owned, and mostly by families of Italian-American descent. And no matter what you ordered, everyone of them would offer you a choice of two sides: spaghetti or mostaccioli.  I swear I was off to college before I realized you could go to a steakhouse and not hear the words "spaghetti or mostaccioli." 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Beav,

Nice to know I'm back in the good graces of my most enthusiastic reader (heck, it's nice to know someone is reading my meanderings.)

So I searched on Montecatini.  Definitely looks like one of those satisfying places you go when, if you're not in the mood for the Alfredo, you just have them hook you up to a red sauce IV.

BTW, when you search on it, the engine also helpfully suggests "Montecatini Eating Disorder Center."  Huh.

This Friday I plan to make one of my personal favorites: chicken parm.  It's not the classic prep, as I make it in an air fryer (you know, the healthy alternative to hot oil frying.) But boy, is it good. 

All this talk of red sauce reminded me of something I hadn't thought of in years.  I grew up in Omaha NE.  Omaha, as you might imagine, has a lot of steakhouses.  Back in the day, they were all family owned, and mostly by families of Italian-American descent. And no matter what you ordered, everyone of them would offer you a choice of two sides: spaghetti or mostaccioli.  I swear I was off to college before I realized you could go to a steakhouse and not hear the words "spaghetti or mostaccioli." 

OK, I give up. Why do Americans, and it is only Americans in my experience, insist on calling tomato sauce for pasta "red sauce"?????? Is "tomato" really that difficult to pronounce?? 😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Roland4 said:

OK, I give up. Why do Americans, and it is only Americans in my experience, insist on calling tomato sauce for pasta "red sauce"?????? Is "tomato" really that difficult to pronounce?? 😁😁😁

I wonder how much real tomato is in "red sauce".

Roy

• Like 1

Have you met Americans?  😁. One of my former coworkers was musing her frustration the other day that in all these years we haven’t come up with a shorter nickname for “apps” yet.  🙄

(I expressed my frustration that we consolidated on the same nickname for applications and appetizers.)

Vince

• Haha 1

Like many things, it's regional. I've never heard anything but tomato sauce where I'm from. There's a whole list of words that vary from region to region. I believe the origin is before mass media when the majority of the population never traveled over 50 miles from where they were born.

Patty

• Like 3