The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Today's sunrise is from my 2012 Celebrity Summit cruise in conjunction with my nephew's wedding.  On December 18 we were in St. Lucia

dawn18.JPG.0f943888aa4dfa54f2dd85d15f9ef5b2.JPG

BTW, does anyone else get nostalgic when the Geico commercial comes on with the tag line "we have a little issue with clogging"?

Roy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Coral said:

Since there are foodies on this board - has anyone tried this? Someone was raving about it in the grocery store line. You pour it over a block of cream cheese and use wheat thin crackers.... The jar is so pretty.....

http://alohafromoregon.com/pj_christmas.htm

IMG_0183.thumb.jpg.ba7e8296d6bbffd4f5a859aa73c5f971.jpg

That IS beautiful!  I’ve never tried that particular brand or flavor,  but my parents entertained a lot and pouring flavored pepper jellies over cream cheese was one of my mom’s quick-and-dirty tricks when she had to put out snacks fast for unexpected company.  It’s super easy and definitely a crowd pleaser in our family.

Funny you mentioned that, in the cabinet this morning I just saw the “fancy”(ish) etched glass plate she used to present that on.  🙂

Please let us know how you like it!

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 2

On 12/16/2020 at 4:53 PM, KenzSailing said:

OK, to circle back to gas station sushi(which, BTW, is the name of my garage band.)

Vince,

OK, took me a bit, but I did circle back with a response to your gas station sushi point.

For a while now, the(cheese) ball has been in your court.

Or are you still shoveling out?  Hmmmm?

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

That IS beautiful!  I’ve never tried that particular brand or flavor,  but my parents entertained a lot and pouring flavored pepper jellies over cream cheese was one of my mom’s quick-and-dirty tricks when she had to put out snacks fast for unexpected company.  It’s super easy and definitely a crowd pleaser in our family.

Funny you mentioned that, in the cabinet this morning I just saw the “fancy”(ish) etched glass plate she used to present that on.  🙂

Please let us know how you like it!

Vince

I just realized I need to go and buy some crackers! I look forward to trying this. I have tried pepper jellies but not with cream cheese.  That is cool about finding the fancy dish...!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Vince,

OK, took me a bit, but I did circle back with a response to your gas station sushi point.

I made the mistake of googling gas station sushi. Don't do it.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2020 at 9:58 PM, Coral said:

I just realized I need to go and buy some crackers! I look forward to trying this. I have tried pepper jellies but not with cream cheese.  That is cool about finding the fancy dish...!

I’ve done it with pepper jelly but not that brand, which seems like such a beautiful choice for Christmastime. Aloha from Oregon seems a tad brazen.

I agree, very cool about Vince’s glass dish.

Thx for the warning about gas station sushi. 

• Like 2

On 12/19/2020 at 6:46 PM, KenzSailing said:

Vince,

I'm so sorry about the delay...  It's not personal, I'm just falling behind on this thread.  I was laid up in pain for a couple of days though, that heavy, icy snow was literally a pain.  Even after our first warm night last night, we're still covered in snow up here everywhere that wasn't shoveled or plowed.  I'm hoping another warm night tonight will help make a dent in melting everything.

I'll have a response in the next 24 hours, I promise!

Vince

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

I'm so sorry about the delay...  It's not personal, I'm just falling behind on this thread.  I was laid up in pain for a couple of days though, that heavy, icy snow was literally a pain.  Even after our first warm night last night, we're still covered in snow up here everywhere that wasn't shoveled or plowed.  I'm hoping another warm night tonight will help make a dent in melting everything.

I'll have a response in the next 24 hours, I promise!

Vince

No worries.

I didn't realize you caught that much just north of here.  We touched 50F today, and the last little bit of snow still on the ground is long gone.  Which is fine with me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

The air fryer revolution rolls on, conquering the world one kitchen at a time:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2020/12/21/air-fryer-pandemic/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_source=twitter

I think you just scored a new customer, Kenz. I’ve followed the air fryer chat on this thread, but I think the article will transition me to the buyer column. I’ve already done the Instant Pot thing during lockdown, so I need a new gig in the upcoming new year. Not to mention continued stuck-at-home status.

And I’m going to overlook the fact you’re going to get a kick back on my purchase. I swear you’re the author of the article as it read exactly like the online “voice” of KenzSailing! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

The best place to see a sunrise is from the deck of a shi but I have never cruised Christmas week.  Today's (really today's) sunrise is from the school parking lot across the street.

Since you’ve covered today’s sunrise shot, Roy, I’ll cover sunset.

This shot is from December 23, 2018 in Palm Court as Serenity sailed westward toward Hawaii. Often when I see a sunset I think of the hymn “Day is Dying in the West”.

https://youtu.be/r6wDew50aNE

AD4EAC65-FED1-4099-B1AE-07AF1C423C9F.jpeg

• Like 8

20 hours ago, BEAV said:

Since you’ve covered today’s sunrise shot, Roy, I’ll cover sunset.

This shot is from December 23, 2018 in Palm Court as Serenity sailed westward toward Hawaii. Often when I see a sunset I think of the hymn “Day is Dying in the West”.

https://youtu.be/r6wDew50aNE

AD4EAC65-FED1-4099-B1AE-07AF1C423C9F.jpeg

For me it's more likely to be Taps.

Roy

• Like 1

December 24 is the last day I do not have a sunrise photo.  I am posting the last sunrise from last year (and the conclusion of my latest successful string of cruises).  On December 1, 2019 I disembarked the Crystal Symphony in Miami:

dawn1201.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

Life during a pandemic:

It's Christmas Eve and I've decided to run the self-cleaning cycle on the oven.  I'm rather excited for the change of pace.  

Happy Holidays to all.

(PS: I haven't cleaned the oven for far too long so Vince, if you see smoke to the south, well there you go...) 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Life during a pandemic:

It's Christmas Eve and I've decided to run the self-cleaning cycle on the oven.  I'm rather excited for the change of pace.  

Happy Holidays to all.

(PS: I haven't cleaned the oven for far too long so Vince, if you see smoke to the south, well there you go...) 

Mine needs it, but since my built-in ovens are 45 years old, I think it might be a better idea to do it by hand (or not at all)!

Patty

• Like 3

Our Pandemic Christmas!!

Christmas Eve every other year spent in preparation for roasting an 18 to 20 pound turkey for our extended family of 15 people!!

Christmas Eve this year spent posting on CC as the 10 pound turkey for our immediate family of 4 people won't take nearly as long!!

Merry Christmas to all of our CC friends all over the world! Stay safe and healthy wherever you may be!!

Larry & Monica

• Like 6