The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

42 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I'm SOOOO sorry to be offline for so long, everyone!  I just woke up one morning and thought, "I just can't take all the refund and COVID discussions this morning," and didn't log in...  Somehow that stretched into days, and then weeks.  I wasn't planning on stepping away, it just kind of happened inadvertently.  It's been a rough few months on this end (but not nearly as bad as it's been for others!), and I just needed a little peace.

Thank for everyone's concerns -- knowing I was missed was the nicest feeling I've had in weeks.  ❤️

I'll post more soon, I promise!

Vince

welcome back my friend, missed your posts and was going to email you soon..feel the same way about this board!!!

hang in there and Happy Thanksgiving.

Nancy

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I'm SOOOO sorry to be offline for so long, everyone!  I just woke up one morning and thought, "I just can't take all the refund and COVID discussions this morning," and didn't log in... 

My money was always on the proposition that your absence reflected nothing more than your usual good sense.

Welcome back, and happy Thanksgiving. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I'm SOOOO sorry to be offline for so long, everyone!  I just woke up one morning and thought, "I just can't take all the refund and COVID discussions this morning," and didn't log in...  Somehow that stretched into days, and then weeks.  I wasn't planning on stepping away, it just kind of happened inadvertently.  It's been a rough few months on this end (but not nearly as bad as it's been for others!), and I just needed a little peace.

Thank for everyone's concerns -- knowing I was missed was the nicest feeling I've had in weeks.  ❤️

Vince

So good to hear from you Vince.  I think a lot of the regulars here have been less active than usual for the same reasons.

Roy

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

My money was always on the proposition that your absence reflected nothing more than your usual good sense.

2020 Survival Kit $20.20*

Wear a mask

Socially distance

Vote

Abstain from cruise boards

*-batteries not included. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

Welcome back Vince!! To paraphrase an old saying for the age of COVID "Absence makes the heart get worried!". You were definitely missed!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

2020 Survival Kit $20.20*

Wear a mask

Socially distance

Vote

Abstain from cruise boards

*-batteries not included.

I'm going to partially disagree on this, starting with the first 3 as a base

My 2020 Survival Kit

Wear a mask

Socially distance

Vote (academic now except in Georgia)

Get a flu shot

Respond if contacted by a contact tracer

Be judicious on cruise boards

Somehow, I've even managed so far to avoid adding to my ignore list but am a lot more selective on which boards and threads I visit quickly scroll on by if I see certain names regularly.  Maybe because I've cruised more universally and am comfortable on more forums, but I've found Cruise Critic a great inspiration in these times.  I have one particularly favorite on the HAL forum, a new thread each day on the subject of "The Daily" which started out as a simple listing of their ship locations but has morphed into one of the most positive communities in the time since I joined Cruise Critic.  If anybody dares to go over to the dark side we'd love to expand our community.  A little selectivity goes a long way.

Roy

• Like 6

Wise advice, as usual, Roy. And, yes, although I haven’t abstained from Cruise Critic, I have been more selective in what I read, threads I follow, etc. 

It’s all about balance.

I did follow #4 on your survival list! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BWIVince said:

Vince

Good to hear from you again Vince. Happy Thanksgiving 🍁 

Ivi

• Like 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 combination of the Crystal Symphony New York to Miami and then the Prinsendam on to the Amazon.  On November 26 I was in Ft. Lauderdale, boarding the Prinsendam in the afternoon:

dawn1126.jpeg

Roy

• Like 3

Ok folks in case you   do not follow Mark Ferris on FB, there is a new Thanksgiving episode scheduled to premier in just a few minutes,at 2pm PST or as it says on his webpage, 4pm CST.I can't wait.He always makes me smile and laugh, and miss listening to him  at the Avenue Saloon  very much 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2020 at 7:42 AM, rafinmd said:

Special to @BWIVince

You mentioned earlier familiarity with the area around Whole Foods in Columbia Town Center.  Yesterday a new park was opened and it's dedicated to 102-year-young resident Vivian "Millie" Bailey.  A veteran of WW2, her park will house the county Veterans Memorial but already features a kid's playground.

bailey1.thumb.jpg.a6313ba28c1ac95939e38a

This spunky gal also recently ticked a sky dive off her bucket list"

Roy

I'm reposting this since  Vince was away when I posted it originally.

Roy

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone’s kind messages.  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving (or Thursday, for those areas where Thanksgiving isn’t a thing 😄)...  All of my friends on Cruise Critic bring more to my life than I can convey, so I want you all to know how thankful I am for your company, banter and companionship, even if virtual.  

@rafinmd Roy, thanks for re-posting that!  That’s a beautiful park and a great addition to the lakefront!  What a fitting person to honor the start of the veterans park with.  I googled the dedication video so I could see and hear Millie speak about it, and it was heartwarming.  

It’s also great to see them add a memorial park in an area that’s so accessible, yet reflective at the same time.  I periodically visit the National Fallen Firefighter Memorial in Emmitsburg, but since 9/11 getting on and off the NFA campus has been (understandably) anything but “accessible”.  🙁

Vince

• Like 4

MisAdventures in Cooking (Part 3, US Edition)

Spoiler alert: OLoPP handles the cooking, nothing goes wrong (wonder what the connection is there.)

So, before Thanksgiving recedes too far in the rear-view mirror, a brief recap from Chez Kens-Not-Sailing-Anywhere-Anytime-Soon.

As has been foreshadowed, it was a very trad Thanksgiving here at the Chez.  All the heavy items of the gravy food group were present and accounted for.  And consumed.  Oh my, were they consumed.

Now, before you conclude that Ken must be some barnacle crusted hidebound protector of the sacred traditions, let me assure you that is not the case.  In fact, I tentatively inquire as to the possibility of slight updates to the holiday menu from time to time (eg, “maybe we could do a ham this year?”)  These inquiries are always gently, but unambiguously, turned away by OLoPP, who is the resident keeper of the traditions.

You see, she has a very specific, and personal motivation for doing so.  OLoPP has a weakness for sandwiches of cold leftovers (meatloaf being a prime example.)  But Thanksgiving here at the Chez means that, around 7 PM (we eat the big meal midday) there will be cold turkey sandwiches.  OLoPP swoons over those little bites of heaven.  Yes, she roasts a turkey, makes all the sides, mostly so there can be cold turkey sandwiches in the evening.  Since all I have to do is eat and help clean up, who am I to judge?

Now, as this boards resident land-based food blogger:

(Wait, who gave you that title?)

I did.  You want the gig?  The pay is lousy.

It has come to my attention that the mailbag holds some pressing questions:

So, yes, Hoisin is gravy.  And don’t start down the “it’s a sauce” path.  Sauce is gravy, gravy is sauce.  Many an Italian grandmother has labored for hours over something she calls “Sunday Gravy” that the rest of us think of as Bolognese.  You going to argue with an Italian grandmother?  Didn’t think so.

You know what else is gravy?  Hollandaise.  Yep, definitely gravy.  And it goes great on asparagus.  So you can have your green stuff, smothered in Hollandaise, and still stay true to the rules of the gravy food group.  Whew, close call there.

Keep those card and letters coming, and I promise to smother them in knowledge, much like I dispatched my Thanksgiving plate.

So anyway, that’s  how and why we spent our Thanksgiving.  In our next installment, we shall time travel back to the month of October, which is a big month here at the Chez.

Until then, be safe and be well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

MisAdventures in Cooking (Part 3, US Edition)

Spoiler alert: OLoPP handles the cooking, nothing goes wrong (wonder what the connection is there.)

So, before Thanksgiving recedes too far in the rear-view mirror, a brief recap from Chez Kens-Not-Sailing-Anywhere-Anytime-Soon.

As has been foreshadowed, it was a very trad Thanksgiving here at the Chez.  All the heavy items of the gravy food group were present and accounted for.  And consumed.  Oh my, were they consumed.

Now, before you conclude that Ken must be some barnacle crusted hidebound protector of the sacred traditions, let me assure you that is not the case.  In fact, I tentatively inquire as to the possibility of slight updates to the holiday menu from time to time (eg, “maybe we could do a ham this year?”)  These inquiries are always gently, but unambiguously, turned away by OLoPP, who is the resident keeper of the traditions.

You see, she has a very specific, and personal motivation for doing so.  OLoPP has a weakness for sandwiches of cold leftovers (meatloaf being a prime example.)  But Thanksgiving here at the Chez means that, around 7 PM (we eat the big meal midday) there will be cold turkey sandwiches.  OLoPP swoons over those little bites of heaven.  Yes, she roasts a turkey, makes all the sides, mostly so there can be cold turkey sandwiches in the evening.  Since all I have to do is eat and help clean up, who am I to judge?

Has OLoPP ever spatchcocked a turkey at Chez Kenz?

https://www.thismamacooks.com/2016/11/how-roast-smoke-spatchcock-turkey.html

I enjoyed the bird cooked this way for the first time this year. Terrific! I usually select dark meat because of its moistness. But using this method the white meat was the most moist I’ve ever consumed before. 

Where does one sign up for the International version of your blog? I’ve searched the WWW, but came up short. An app, maybe?  🤷‍♂️

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 12:41 PM, BEAV said:

Has OLoPP ever spatchcocked a turkey at Chez Kenz?

https://www.thismamacooks.com/2016/11/how-roast-smoke-spatchcock-turkey.html

I enjoyed the bird cooked this way for the first time this year. Terrific! I usually select dark meat because of its moistness. But using this method the white meat was the most moist I’ve ever consumed before. 

Where does one sign up for the International version of your blog? I’ve searched the WWW, but came up short. An app, maybe?  🤷‍♂️

Beav,

Nope, we're aware of spatchcocking, but have never tried it (would be an excellent excuse to buy a cleaver though.)  We just roast a turkey breast as, for the two of us, that produces plenty of leftovers. I recently read an article about disposing of the last of the turkey in a turkey Reuben.  With all respect to whomever wrote it, that is just blasphemy. Even using pastrami (a lovely smoked meat) will earn a firm "tsk" from me.  A person must have standards.

I didn't mean to get ahead of myself using the description of "blogger."  I was referring only to those cooking missives I fire off on this here board.  I'm much too lazy to be a blogger.  Besides, the real money happens when you move up to "influencer" and that's way beyond my humble skills.  Shoot, I've never even figured out how to post photos on this board.

I gotta get going on that post about our October revelries here at the Chez. A real humdinger, that one will be.

As always, be safe and be well.

• Like 1