crews still stuck on ships and we argue about our next cruise?

jxtgreek

14 minutes ago, rhblake said:

I wish you the best, BUT currently Hawaii has these rules in place:

PRE-TRAVEL TESTING PROGRAM: Beginning September 1, all travelers arriving in Hawaii from out-of-state will be required to get a valid COVID-19 Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) within 72 hours of boarding their flight to Hawaii, and to show proof of a negative test result upon arrival at the airport, to avoid the 14-day quarantine. The FDA-approved NAAT test from a CLIA-certified laboratory will need to be done prior to arrival. No testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport.

And one of the main stories in the national news continues to be the incredibly long time (7-8 days) far too many Americans are having to wait for test results, if they can even get tested at all. 

• Like 1

""crews still stuck on ships and we argue about our next cruise?"

if you take arguing out of this forum. there will be zero posts. there are continual experts on here arguing about things that no one truly knows about . people are bored, they love to argue. its the nature of every forum. they will argue the most minute point about statistics and who said what and when and will go back pages and pages to cite where your post from 3 weeks ago was wrong. ive seen this personally many times.  but people are bored and they feel better doing it. no one  will post on any forum unless they enjoy it.  so i assume everyone enjoys this banter. i personally dont. 

yet here i am. because i enjoy pointing out that your arguing on here is all pointless 98.44% of the time. 🙂 you will never ever change someones mind about something. do you think people can change your mind? heck no! think about it. it's what the world is..arguing. who has the bigger mouth. who prefers to walk away. you see it many times. someone will say 'i wish you a pleasant day SIR!' and they mean to diss someone. so polite and classy dont you think? 

i never listen to talk radio but one day before i was able to turn the station after starting the car, something was on. OMG. just that 15 seconds of listening got my blood pressure up.  i dont know how anyone can listen to talk radio or even commercials on tv (yes i have tivo to avoid them) and id be  a basket case if i ever watched the news. how depressing is that. who would sit thru that? ditto with a certain type of ad (that sadly even gets placed on my internet games and i really do turn away and not watch).  no ones mind will be changed by this ads..but i digress

everyones point is most important to themselves so lets face it, few people really care about the folks on ships now. maybe you show concern if it's brought up, but in your daily life do you really think about it. or are you worried about your kids,car,cat,dog, ferret, bills, health, etc etc ad super naseum.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:34 AM, Diver2014 said:

That’s just your opinion. I’m going to love to prove you wrong.

you don't have to prove anyone wrong, no one cares, is your cruise. However, considering my October Cruise has been canceled a cruise that went all the way Nov 12, is safe to say 2020 cruises will be canceled. Good Luck

• Like 2

Yeah, I cancelled my Dec 5th GA TA cruise, quite a while ago.... this darn Covid-19 just isn't willing to give up the ghost yet... it continues to take our loved ones.  How can we cruise when we think it may take more of our loved ones? 

I guess if you don't have anyone to care for, well, just keep on keepin' on. 

Princess was, it seems, the beginner in this horrible episode of terror as far as Covid-19 goes on cruise ships.  Not the last, of course, but, sadly, the first to allow this virus to spread unimpeded by the Princess executive. 

This is just my opinion though there are articles which support my statement, I'm unable to find the specifics at this time.  

Cruises will begin again but not until this horrid virus has been controlled. 

Good luck everyone, stay safe and wear a mask.  

Be well. 😉

Cheers 🍷

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jaja said:

12,000 workers still stranded on cruise ships in American waters because of coronavirus

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-cruise-ship-people-stranded-coronavirus-20200809-e6ju5gxtubd6pawnsekf73upfi-story.html

The article mentions 57 ships in US waters.  The minimum crewing for warm layup is around 150 per ship, so that is about 8500 who are required to be onboard, so they are not "stranded".

• Like 1

I agree. Been following ship movements and many ships went to Progresso, Europe, India and Philippines after tranferring crew around to get them home.  I believe most of those still on board are there by choice.

There are a few stories still. Saw a thread last week from a mom whose son is stuck trying to get to the US.  Because the US is being the worst about denying access for anyone on ships, including US Citizens.

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The article mentions 57 ships in US waters.  The minimum crewing for warm layup is around 150 per ship, so that is about 8500 who are required to be onboard, so they are not "stranded".

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/08/cruise-ships-us-have-12000-crew-members-amid-covid-19/5574288002/

You’re correct that the title is misleading and that all of them are not “stranded.”  But some of them (including specific ones interviewed in that article) are on the ship past their contract not getting paid.  If that’s not “stranded” then I don’t know what is.

Edit:  CLIA indicates there are still 5,000 crew members stranded trying to get home from cruise ships, per the article.  Not necessarily all in American waters, but that’s still pretty terrible.  

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

4 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/08/08/cruise-ships-us-have-12000-crew-members-amid-covid-19/5574288002/

You’re correct that the title is misleading and that all of them are not “stranded.”  But some of them (including specific ones interviewed in that article) are on the ship past their contract not getting paid.  If that’s not “stranded” then I don’t know what is.

Edit:  CLIA indicates there are still 5,000 crew members stranded trying to get home from cruise ships, per the article.  Not necessarily all in American waters, but that’s still pretty terrible.  

And in many, if not most cases, that is due to the crew's home country restrictions, and there are many of those crew "awaiting repatriation" that have chosen to stay on the ship rather than fight those travel restrictions.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

And in many, if not most cases, that is due to the crew's home country restrictions, and there are many of those crew "awaiting repatriation" that have chosen to stay on the ship rather than fight those travel restrictions.  

Ok?  The point is that we are still in the realm of crew members can’t even get home right now.  It does not bode well for cruising anytime soon.

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

2 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

Ok?  The point is that we are still in the realm of crew members can’t even get home right now.  It does not bode well for cruising anytime soon.

And, just to put this in perspective, while there are about 5000 cruise ship crew still stuck on their ships, there are over 200,000 other merchant mariners who are stuck on their ships.

Just now, chengkp75 said:
4 minutes ago, Fido Chuckwagon said:

And, just to put this in perspective, while there are about 5000 cruise ship crew still stuck on their ships, there are over 200,000 other merchant mariners who are stuck on their ships.

I think we are talking past each other.  The title and thesis of this thread is that we are debating cruising restarting when we’re still in the position that things are so bad cruise crew members can’t even get home.  That seems to still be the case. If cruise lines still can’t even get their crew members home (whomever’s fault it is), there’s no way we’re on the cusp of mass market cruising restarting.  

I am going to bite my tongue on this & get roasted for tossing my 2 cents here ... but, what the heck - here we go.  Let's stick with the cruise ship crew for the moment & I know that Cheng has been voicing for the merchant ship crews - whether it's 5,000 or 8,500 or the "high-end" # of around 12,000 unable to travel freely & go home, due to Covid-19/pandemic restrictions & measures in place at their home countries and/or elsewhere (as in the USA) ... is it fair & reasonable to say that many of them have served & stay continuously onboard these vessels for the past 6 or 7 months, probably 8 months and even longer ... way past their normal contract terms & typical durations ??   Cruiselines are obligated and need to keep the minimum crew headcounts to maintain the ships in warm layup - fine ... but, aren't they going to do rotation & come with ways, means & ports to rotate and get a fresh crew onboard to relieve ?? including the senior officers & ranks on the bridge ??  Has that happened and to what extent - probably nobody has a clear & definite figures to offer, just wondering out loud.  

Timely repatriation of the crews, officers and yes, merchant ship crews ... remained to be a serious problem, obstacle and challenge - that is, 6 months after the pandemic outbreak spread well beyond Wuhan.  Our extended families & immediate circles of cruise friends had a mostly virtual gathering this weekend to chat over a # of issues, and, it is fair to conclude that the dozen of us aren't planning to book any cruise anytime soon, not this Fall.  We will wait & see what happen this Fall/Winter here in the Americas - from the "relative" safety of metro NY, once "ground-zero for USA's Covid-19 outbreak with the death tolls" before committing to anything for the 1st half of 2021.  

Our family dentist decided to retire as he concluded too, it is just not worth the risk with all the still unknown with the risks for airborne elements - sadly, they were frequent cruisers too and like us, not planning anything over the horizon either.  Looking at how this country of ours fumbled and mis-managed the federally coordinated response plan to the outbreak - I have virtually zero confidence on how our 50 mini "states" are going to come together anytime soon to get our unified acts together under one command.  

Live smartly, stay healthy and act accordingly ... wearing a mask, social distancing and frequent hand washing, etc. aren't about giving up or losing one's liberty and freedom.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Cruiselines are obligated and need to keep the minimum crew headcounts to maintain the ships in warm layup - fine ... but, aren't they going to do rotation & come with ways, means & ports to rotate and get a fresh crew onboard to relieve ?? including the senior officers & ranks on the bridge ??  Has that happened and to what extent - probably nobody has a clear & definite figures to offer, just wondering out loud. 

Lets just say that for cruise ship crew, one of the biggest sticking points has been the US.  But, as ships continue to meet the CDC's "color code" of green status, crew are being allowed to get off the ships in the US, but whether they can get home based on their country's restrictions is another thing.  And, some crew have opted to stay on the ships rather than put up with the problems of getting home in their home countries.  Now that cruise ships are getting "green" status from the CDC, their crew now equate to other mariners, and the USCG has held since the beginning of the pandemic, that mariners are essential, and have placed no travel restrictions on mariners, from any country, to make crew changes.  Wherever possible, the cruise lines are making arrangements to both get crew home (using their own ships as we know), and getting relief crew to the ships (using charter flights as TUI and Aida did, or moving a ship to a port with no crew change restrictions (Gibraltar, Sweden).

Glad to see that you are worried about the deck crew, but that the engineers can stay down below for ever.😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Lets just say that for cruise ship crew, one of the biggest sticking points has been the US.  But, as ships continue to meet the CDC's "color code" of green status, crew are being allowed to get off the ships in the US, but whether they can get home based on their country's restrictions is another thing.  And, some crew have opted to stay on the ships rather than put up with the problems of getting home in their home countries.  Now that cruise ships are getting "green" status from the CDC, their crew now equate to other mariners, and the USCG has held since the beginning of the pandemic, that mariners are essential, and have placed no travel restrictions on mariners, from any country, to make crew changes.  Wherever possible, the cruise lines are making arrangements to both get crew home (using their own ships as we know), and getting relief crew to the ships (using charter flights as TUI and Aida did, or moving a ship to a port with no crew change restrictions (Gibraltar, Sweden).

Glad to see that you are worried about the deck crew, but that the engineers can stay down below for ever.😉

Heck I had a CC member quote me the other day saying he doesn't believe your a chief engineer. Now that's showing how uniformed/useless

some posters are.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 11:11 PM, Diver2014 said:

That's just your opinion.  We have every intention of going on our November 2020 cruise.

20 August 2020

What is your current confidence level in your intention(s) becoming reality and your trip coming to fruition?