When do you realistically expect to cruise again?

kangforpres

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you ordered your goggles yet?

“If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it,” Fauci told ABC News Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton. When asked if we may end up getting to a point where doing so will be recommended, Fauci responded, “It might, if you really want perfect protection of the mucosal surfaces.”

He was asked if wearing eye protection could help as a further measure and he answered the question, period.  Good grief! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruise NH said:

He was asked if wearing eye protection could help as a further measure and he answered the question, period.  Good grief! 

Actually, Fauci said: "When asked if we may end up getting to a point where doing so will be recommended, Fauci responded, “It might, if you really want perfect protection of the mucosal surfaces.”  IOW, wearing eye protection may become required just like masks are today.  

One wonders how long Fauci is considered an expert if, when, Fauci is asked the question:  'Should those over a certain age with certain physical conditions must have a note from their doctor before they can board a cruise ship' and he answers says they should?

Sad news from the experiment by Hurtigruten.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/covid-outbreak-hurtigruten-norway/

To answer the question from the title of this thread, my answer would now have to be one of the following:

Not anytime soon.

Later than I want.

Much later than I want

Not until there is a viable treatment or vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

It’s getting later and later.  Crystal just cancelled their remaining 2020 cruises.

Very good call by Crystal. Sadly, I appreciate how HAL has tended to cancel a large batch of cruises at a time, rather than one month at a time like some other lines.

2 hours ago, seaoma said:

Sad news from the experiment by Hurtigruten.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/covid-outbreak-hurtigruten-norway/

...and very sad news about Hurtigruten, thank you for posting.

It seems that this "outbreak" was discovered while docked at their home port. I'm interested in knowing the protocol for cruise lines when an outbreak is detected while underway. Will they be allowed to promptly dock and disembark somewhere, preferably at their turnaround port based on a prearranged agreement, or does it become another ship without a home situation like the Westerdam, Zaandam and others last spring.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

It’s getting later and later.  Crystal just cancelled their remaining 2020 cruises.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23320-crystal-cancels-remaining-2020-ocean-cruises.html

I think Crystal finally decided it was just easier to pull the band aid off all at one time rather than slowly and painfully.  It takes a lot of manpower to cancel cruises, refund money, rebook cruises, cancel the rebooked cruises, refund money, etc.

37 minutes ago, Roz said:

I think Crystal finally decided it was just easier to pull the band aid off all at one time rather than slowly and painfully.  It takes a lot of manpower to cancel cruises, refund money, rebook cruises, cancel the rebooked cruises, refund money, etc.

I’m waiting for a HAL to do something similar.  

• Like 2

Hopefully late 2021, but more likely 2022 to never.  This is depending on a when a vaccine is ready, and the mask/social distancing restrictions are mostly relaxed or completely eliminated.  There is no way I would want to wear a mask for most of my vacation.  Also, it depends on everyone's health, especially that my parents are in their 70's.  Another factor is going on an airplane.  There is no way we will be on an airplane for a couple of hours with masks on almost the entire time.  We could drive down, but that would be an extra week of vacation time. 

• Like 1

If a vaccine is available in 2021, then 2022 for us or perhaps 2023.

Would never have thought this in March.

Also, we have to consider whether it will be as enjoyable. The long lines at airport screening/security.

Embarkation may take hours. The thought of large crowds.

Fortunately, we have many fond memories and photos of past cruises.

Even earlier, memories of taking our own 30 foot sailboat through the Panama canal and stopping to swim in Gatun lake.

So many moments.

There's some talk of emergency authorization of a vaccine. This is what the FDA Commissioner said...

“FDA Chief: We’ll Consider Emergency Use Authorization For Covid-19 Vaccines

... “If we get to 50% and it’s not safe, it’s not a vaccine we can approve,” Hahn said. “It’s an absolute obligation that it be safe.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2020/07/30/fda-chief-well-consider-emergency-authorization-for-covid-19-vaccine/#16978b4e574f

Right now, we have no idea what that means since the Phase 3 trial has just started. In the earlier trial, the small number of test subjects were all healthy adults.

Assuming that the FDA approves a vaccine, there will be a priority system. Right now, we have no idea of how it will work because we don't know how what the safety issues are.

Here's a discussion of how the American government would stage a vaccination program for a flu epidemic. There are five tiers. Frontline workers, first responders and the vulnerable go first. The healthy adults go last. In the middle are the healthy seniors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/covid-vaccine-priority-canada-1.5669216

On 7/30/2020 at 7:50 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, Fauci said: "When asked if we may end up getting to a point where doing so will be recommended, Fauci responded, “It might, if you really want perfect protection of the mucosal surfaces.”  IOW, wearing eye protection may become required just like masks are today.  

One wonders how long Fauci is considered an expert if, when, Fauci is asked the question:  'Should those over a certain age with certain physical conditions must have a note from their doctor before they can board a cruise ship' and he answers says they should?

In spite of some people and politicians attacking Dr. Fauci  I will continue to listen more closely to this life long dedicated expert on diseases than either politicians or internet "experts".   Seems now that people that don't know a virus from a volkswagen  want to act like they are the "experts".

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/anthony-s-fauci-md-bio

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We plan to cruise in Autumn 2021, not because of Covid19, but because we have a 4 month old baby and we will start travelling locally and by car first as it is just easier.

My wife and I love HAL, And we will cruise with HAL again, but with a little-one, I am currently dreaming about taking him on a Disney cruise. ( yes, I know they are vastly overpriced).

• Like 2

Realistically, I'm thinking summer 2021 will be the earliest for us. With no vaccine, crew and ships scattered to the four winds, and the tentative start or cruising we have seen in Europe thus far, I can't imagine HAL or any line will be ready anytime for even a limited return to operations soon. We are booked on a holiday cruise in December, but given Princess and Crystal's recent cancellations through December, it feels like it is only a matter of time before HAL pulls the plug on 2020 cruises altogether, sadly.

4 hours ago, dockman said:

In spite of some people and politicians attacking Dr. Fauci  I will continue to listen more closely to this life long dedicated expert on diseases than either politicians or internet "experts".   Seems now that people that don't know a virus from a volkswagen  want to act like they are the "experts".

So, you will be just fine with it if Fauci decries that everyone over 70 must provide a doctor's assessment of their health and that those with coronavirus comorbidities would not be allowed to cruise?

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

So, you will be just fine with it if Fauci decries that everyone over 70 must provide a doctor's assessment of their health and that those with coronavirus comorbidities would not be allowed to cruise?

I don't think that's Dr. Fauci's call.  Even if it's required, it would have to be a simple yes/no questionnaire because providing a health assessment naming specific comorbidities is a violation of HIPPA.  

5 minutes ago, Roz said:

I don't think that's Dr. Fauci's call.  Even if it's required, it would have to be a simple yes/no questionnaire because providing a health assessment naming specific comorbidities is a violation of HIPPA.  

Negative.

Pregnant women also must supply a declaration of fit to sail if they want to cruise. Same should obviously be required for those who are in the Covid19 risk group.

when a vaccine is available, vaccination proof or negative test result should be required before sailing.
I do not give a rat’s ass about HIPPA or whatever, a cruise line, or airline has the absolute right to ask for a doctor certificate before able to board and they do NOT contravene privacy laws as they do not give medical details, only a professional diagnosis wether at high risk for complications or not.

this will give cruise lines and passengers the opportunity of a normal cruise experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Despegue said:

Negative.

Pregnant women also must supply a declaration of fit to sail if they want to cruise. Same should obviously be required for those who are in the Covid19 risk group.

when a vaccine is available, vaccination proof or negative test result should be required before sailing.
I do not give a rat’s ass about HIPPA or whatever, a cruise line, or airline has the absolute right to ask for a doctor certificate before able to board and they do NOT contravene privacy laws as they do not give medical details, only a professional diagnosis wether at high risk for complications or not.

this will give cruise lines and passengers the opportunity of a normal cruise experience.

I'm sorry my post upset you and you reacted so negatively to it.  If you would calm down and read what I posted, I said I'm OK with a yes/no type of certificate.  I think pregnancy is a special situation and is different than having risk factors for a contracting a virus and becoming seriously ill and possibly dying.  

I may be wrong, and I apologize in advance if I am, but I still don't think it's Dr. Fauci's call as to what health policies the cruise lines put in place.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm sorry my post upset you and you reacted so negatively to it.  If you would calm down and read what I posted, I said I'm OK with a yes/no type of certificate.  I think pregnancy is a special situation and is different than having risk factors for a contracting a virus and becoming seriously ill and possibly dying.  

I may be wrong, and I apologize in advance if I am, but I still don't think it's Dr. Fauci's call as to what health policies the cruise lines put in place.  

I share the same opinion that a Consultant Virologist should not decide on these things, it should be the cruise lines themselves, supported by the CLIA and IMO.

I am not upset at all buddy, but a certificate should be issued by a Health professional, not by the passenger in-person.

Most people lie on these forms when confronted with a question that might impede their boarding/entrance.

not only that, but a certificate issued by official instances might be a requirement to enter ports of call, just like a visa. Self certification will simply not do.

I read your writing “simple yes/no” as a self-certified document, I apologise if this was an incorrect assesment.

Edited by Despegue

The problem with trolls is that they are full of malice. Take a small thing and twist it into a mole hill.

To make you distrust the experts, and distract you from the real danger.

This disease is so infectious. We will not be able to cruise again until we can deal with the spread of the disease.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/02/dr-birx-warns-us-in-new-phase-of-coronavirus-pandemic-with-extraordinarily-widespread-cases.html

The Miami Marlins had 18 players (out of 30) infected. The Ruby Princess had 30% of the passengers infected in 11 days.

In this children's camp, 76% of the kids were infected after just 8 days. They did not require kids to wear masks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/health/georgia-camp-coronavirus-outbreak-cdc-trnd/index.html

Just as alarming, staff members were required to wear masks and 56% were infected.

All this because of ignorance, and distrust in the experts' advice. Social distance, masks and hand washing.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Despegue said:

I read your writing “simple yes/no” as a self-certified document, I apologise if this was an incorrect assesment.

No apology needed.  A medical professional would sign the yes/no certificate.  It would not be a self-certification. 

• Like 1

For those interested in normal sailings with stops:

MSC is starting-up their cruises again from 15/08/2020.

Only EU Schengen residents are allowed to board.

Negative Covid19 test is obligatory, issued within 72 hours of the sailing.

Onboard, there are temperature measuring stations, obligatory to get temp. tested every 24 hours as well as before and after going ashore. Going ashore is for now only possible through ship’s excursions.

Shows require reservations, and the ships will sail with a restricted occupancy.

• Thanks 1